Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Debt Collectors Cruel and Out of Control

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Debt Collectors Cruel and Out of Control

Unread postby deMolay » Tue 01 Dec 2009, 20:18:48

This story reminds me of a story about a friend named Barry back in the 70's. Barry a fellow tradesman was out of work and was behind a couple of payments on his baby blue, Ford Galaxie convertible. The Finance Company sent over a "Slapper" to threaten Barry. Barry knocked him out, and kicked his ass down the stairs. The next day the manager of the collection company phoned Barry and offered him a job. http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/co ... 71885.html
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Debt Collector's Cruel and Out of Control

Unread postby deMolay » Tue 01 Dec 2009, 20:24:13

This story reminds me of a story about a friend named Barry back in the 70's. Barry a fellow tradesman was out of work and was behind a couple of payments on his baby blue, Ford Galaxie convertible. The Finance Company sent over a "Slapper" to threaten Barry. Barry knocked him out, and kicked his ass down the stairs. The next day the manager of the collection company phoned Barry and offered him a job. http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/co ... 71885.html
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Debt Collector's Cruel and Out of Control

Unread postby americandream » Tue 01 Dec 2009, 20:49:00

Whoops. No article behind link.

deMolay wrote:This story reminds me of a story about a friend named Barry back in the 70's. Barry a fellow tradesman was out of work and was behind a couple of payments on his baby blue, Ford Galaxie convertible. The Finance Company sent over a "Slapper" to threaten Barry. Barry knocked him out, and kicked his ass down the stairs. The next day the manager of the collection company phoned Barry and offered him a job. http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/co ... 71885.html
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby deMolay » Tue 01 Dec 2009, 21:20:36

deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Debt Collectors Cruel and Out of Control

Unread postby Ainan » Wed 02 Dec 2009, 06:02:33

Do you see why won't let us plebs have guns anymore?
April 2008 Global Population: 6.8 billion
April 2010 Global Population: 7 billion
April 2012 Global Population: 7.2 billion
Ainan
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Debt Collectors Cruel and Out of Control

Unread postby rangerone314 » Wed 02 Dec 2009, 09:03:18

Ainan wrote:Do you see why won't let us plebs have guns anymore?

Boy, you beat me to the punch in saying that.

The plutocracy does not want the "people" to have the ability to defend themselves.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Thu 03 Dec 2009, 16:19:09

Well, those who have accumulated debt deserve exactly that, as long as debt is a genuine one.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby endtimes » Thu 03 Dec 2009, 16:46:29

maybe everybody didnt have a silver spoon given to them.did you?
endtimes
Wood
Wood

Unread postby americandream » Thu 03 Dec 2009, 16:52:52

Some get bailed out though. I guess we can't have our masters being evicted by bailiffs, can we? Wouldn't look good.

EnergyUnlimited wrote:Well, those who have accumulated debt deserve exactly that, as long as debt is a genuine one.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Thu 03 Dec 2009, 17:06:22

americandream wrote:Some get bailed out though. I guess we can't have our masters being evicted by bailiffs, can we? Wouldn't look good.

EnergyUnlimited wrote:Well, those who have accumulated debt deserve exactly that, as long as debt is a genuine one.

Well, here is a problem.
However bailiffs won't help here.
Nothing short of Madame Guillotine would do and even then few would slip through the net.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby rangerone314 » Thu 03 Dec 2009, 17:09:44

Forget the guillotine... that is too quick. A far better means would be to tie them up and cover them with hundreds of leeches... would be an ironic death, killing human "leeches" with the real thing.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Thu 03 Dec 2009, 17:25:17

rangerone314 wrote:A far better means would be to tie them up and cover them with hundreds of leeches... would be an ironic death, killing human "leeches" with the real thing.

Sometime ago I was proposing locking up such peoples (bankrupt banksters-fraudsters and their political protectors, but also some other reckless heavy debtors) in places like uranium mines or gay brothels.

I wonder, how much Tim or Hank would have to serve there to pay off debt accrued on US by their fraudulent actions? :-D

An alternative would be disassembly for body parts for transplants.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby americandream » Thu 03 Dec 2009, 19:01:55

Yes, but these are all wet dreams whilst the scam continues unabated, with the indebted inconsequential being bailiffed instead. And targeting personalities doesn't do much as I'm sure there's a queue of candidates waiting to take their place.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 03 Dec 2009, 20:25:01

Years ago, when mobile phones were very expensive, I bought one on a plan. The company I bought it from sold all it's contracts to a 3rd party who subsequently changed the billing date, which was on automatic debit. 3 months later I had heard about none of this when I got a threatening call from the new owners of my phone contract. I told them it was their fault they had not been paid because they changed the billing date without telling me. I offered to pay the proper amount but no they wanted 3 months of late payment fees. I told them that as far as I was concerned I had no contract with them, I don't care if they 'bought' a contract; I had never signed an agreement with their company and due to their attitude I never would. Got another phone with another company and sent back a handfull of letters from the debt collectors/ unopened.

I do not agree with debt selling. If I make a contract with an agent I am making it with that agent not with anyone else. If the law allows them to sell said contract, the law is wrong. I would never own a house or any other fixed assets because I know that anything goes wrong with the bodgy contract law system the house belongs to whoever bought my contracts while I was in hospital/ jail/ dealing with a personal emergency..... I know the pro system argument that I should have income insurance etc. I don't agree with it. I looked at how much it really costs to pay off a mortgage and decided no way ever would I help the bank make that much money just to put a rope around my neck for them to hang me with. I find it hard to believe how many people say a mortgaged house gives them a sense of security, for me it seems exactly the opposite. I would rather live in a car or boat or friends garage or tent than in debt.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby americandream » Thu 03 Dec 2009, 22:13:49

Why is the law wrong? After all it confers rights and interests, tangible or otherwise, on all valid contractual arrangements. It would be somewhat arbitrary to strike down one lot of intangible interests as not be capable of being transferred, without good reason, whilst preserving that right in others. The law would really fall into discredit then. And guess what? There would be a revolution. :lol:
SeaGypsy wrote:Years ago, when mobile phones were very expensive, I bought one on a plan. ... I would rather live in a car or boat or friends garage or tent than in debt.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 04 Dec 2009, 00:38:50

AD/ I think you have your tongue in your cheek here but I will answer anyway.

Debt selling gave us derivatives, derivatives gave us the financial disaster. If I make a contract in good faith with my good respected friend, lets call him Barry and Barry decides to sell the contract to John (Who I hate and have no respect for and would never freely enter a contract with)/ the original contract is null and void. This is only my personal opinion and may well not match what the law says. In this case the law is an ass. If a person or entity is not making contracts in good faith, but with the intention of selling them on as bundled derivatives, they can go for a long walk off a short jetty. I don't care if I am legally wrong, I feel morally right and so far in life I have been able to stick to this principle without consequences; other than not being able to borrow money to buy a house, which I see as a stupid thing to do anyway.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby americandream » Fri 04 Dec 2009, 02:01:21

Unfortunately, morality seldom features in the framing of laws to oil the wheels of capitalism, almost always the furtherance of private gain. In agreeing to Raeganite free market policies over the decades, we have empowered the legislators to expand on the use of the law as a tool for greed.

SeaGypsy wrote:AD/ I think you have your tongue in your cheek here but I will answer anyway.

Debt selling gave us derivatives, derivatives gave us the financial disaster. If I make a contract in good faith with my good respected friend, lets call him Barry and Barry decides to sell the contract to John (Who I hate and have no respect for and would never freely enter a contract with)/ the original contract is null and void. This is only my personal opinion and may well not match what the law says. In this case the law is an ass. If a person or entity is not making contracts in good faith, but with the intention of selling them on as bundled derivatives, they can go for a long walk off a short jetty. I don't care if I am legally wrong, I feel morally right and so far in life I have been able to stick to this principle without consequences; other than not being able to borrow money to buy a house, which I see as a stupid thing to do anyway.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Kristen » Fri 04 Dec 2009, 04:12:58

I have a strong instinct that the the person borrowing money is meant to fail, so they can pursue more money. The only way out of this stampede is to detach yourself from the concept of "ownership"
Kristen
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby americandream » Fri 04 Dec 2009, 04:17:14

Easier said than done. Last attempt at challenging private property cost lives, communist lives. It was called the Cold War.

Kristen wrote:I have a strong instinct that the the person borrowing money is meant to fail, so they can pursue more money. The only way out of this stampede is to detach yourself from the concept of "ownership"
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Fri 04 Dec 2009, 06:08:29

americandream wrote:Yes, but these are all wet dreams whilst the scam continues unabated, with the indebted inconsequential being bailiffed instead. And targeting personalities doesn't do much as I'm sure there's a queue of candidates waiting to take their place.

That reminds me a bit career in Soviet security services before KGB was formed (initially it was Czerezwyczajka, then NKWD).
It was generally known, that once you are getting to top positions in said organizations, Mr Stalin or (later) Khrushchev may perceive you as a threat and power competitor.
That was usually resulting in chiefs of said services to eventually face execution squads, perhaps as a summit of career.
That didn't stop a queue of candidates to attempt to get these posts.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Next

Return to Economics & Finance