Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Copenhagen, Denmark----the world's most wasteful society

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Copenhagen, Denmark----the world's most wasteful society

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 07 Dec 2009, 02:39:38

Its very curious that Copenhagen was chosen for the site of the Greenhouse warming treaty meeting. Denmark is the world's most wasteful society----the Danes produce more trash per capita then the Americans or any other country in Europe.

Copenhagen, Denmark---world's most wasteful society

The Danes also get a lot of credit for using windpower, but the majority of power in Denmark is generated by buring coal-----the worst possible fuel in terms of generating CO2.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Re: Copenhagen, Denmark----the world's most wasteful society

Unread postby Carlhole » Mon 07 Dec 2009, 05:23:45

I had some Danish tissekone once. Delicious.
Carlhole

Unread postby Quinny » Mon 07 Dec 2009, 05:48:40

LMAO :lol: . Apples and Bananas - total drivel!
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dday » Mon 07 Dec 2009, 10:20:27

Plantagenet wrote:Its very curious that Copenhagen was chosen for the site of the Greenhouse warming treaty meeting. Denmark is the world's most wasteful society----the Danes produce more trash per capita then the Americans or any other country in Europe.

The Danes also get a lot of credit for using windpower, but the majority of power in Denmark is generated by buring coal-----the worst possible fuel in terms of generating CO2.

I live in Denmark, originally from Canada. The reason why the stats are so high is that danes meticulously register every peice of garbage. Don't think other countries even come close in the department. Most of it gets incinerated and used for power and heat so I guess you can say it gets recycled not just buried.
My home is heated from this garbage actually.

I will agree though that there is a problem with coal burning, but per capita we use less electricity than North Americans, only because they tax it very high. (we pay 40 cents US per kw).
dday
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 07 Dec 2009, 13:47:34

dday wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:Its very curious that Copenhagen was chosen for the site of the Greenhouse warming treaty meeting. Denmark is the world's most wasteful society----the Danes produce more trash per capita then the Americans or any other country in Europe.

I live in Denmark, originally from Canada. The reason why the stats are so high is that danes meticulously register every peice of garbage. Don't think other countries even come close in the department. Most of it gets incinerated and used for power and heat so I guess you can say it gets recycled not just buried.

Thats not a viable excuse. Believe it or not, other countries also tabulate the amount of garbage they produce and other countries also burn refuse for heat and energy.

The numbers still show that the Danes are the world's most wasteful society.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Windmills » Mon 07 Dec 2009, 20:02:17

Moderator, isn't calling someone "worse than an American" against the COC? That has to be the lowest environmental slam you can throw at someone. Plant, you're stooping to low levels here.
Windmills
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby eastbay » Mon 07 Dec 2009, 20:19:38

Thanks for the heads up windmills. I'll send Plants a very harsh PM. :x

It won't happen again. From now on we should ease up on the Americans and compare The Most Wasteful Nations to Canada, who's people waste even more than .... uh.... anyone except Danes, apparently. 8O
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dday » Mon 07 Dec 2009, 20:57:40

Plantagenet wrote:
dday wrote:

Thats not a viable excuse. Believe it or not, other countries also tabulate the amount of garbage they produce and other countries also burn refuse for heat and energy.

The numbers still show that the Danes are the world's most wasteful society.

Questions:
1.Have you ever been to Denmark let alone lived there so you can compare?
2. Do you believe everything the Los Angeles times writes?
3. Is Los Angeles or Copenhagen more green?
dday
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Bas » Mon 07 Dec 2009, 21:10:20

I for one will be watching this meeting closely and I'm hopeful, though not certain, of a positive and meaningful result.

I also know you realize that your idle chatter on here won't make a millimeter of difference in what happens over there :)
Bas

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 07 Dec 2009, 21:42:34

Questions:
3. Is Los Angeles or Copenhagen more green?[/quote]

-yes
-no
-LA is more green then Copenhagen.*

*LA gets about half of its electricity from renewable hydropower (St. Francis dam, Boulder dam, etc.) and clean nukes which emit no CO2, and about half from coal-fired power plants In contrast, Copenhagen and Denmark get about 70% of their electricty from fossil fuels----they get half their electricity from coal-fired plants and another 20% from natural gas plants, and only 30% of their power comes from renewable wind and nukes---- This fact, combined with the huge amount of waste that is present in Danish society, indicates that LA is much more green then Copenhagen.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby eastbay » Mon 07 Dec 2009, 22:18:35

Plantagenet wrote:Questions:

-yes
-no

*LA gets about half of its electricity from renewable hydropower (St. Francis dam, Boulder dam, etc.) and clean nukes which emit no CO2, and about half from coal-fired power plants In contrast, Copenhagen and Denmark get about 70% of their electricty from fossil fuels----they get half their electricity from coal-fired plants and another 20% from natural gas plants, and only 30% of their power comes from renewable wind and nukes---- This fact, combined with the huge amount of waste that is present in Danish society, indicates that LA is much more green then Copenhagen.[/quote]

I've been to LA countless times and would have to agree that I am deeply impressed with its fundamental sustainability and unusually green character. LA is definitely on the proper track to sustainable living. Except for the freeways, maybe. :)
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 08 Dec 2009, 02:37:28

eastbay wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:Questions:

-yes
-no

*LA gets about half of its electricity from renewable hydropower (St. Francis dam, Boulder dam, etc.) and clean nukes which emit no CO2, and about half from coal-fired power plants In contrast, Copenhagen and Denmark get about 70% of their electricty from fossil fuels----they get half their electricity from coal-fired plants and another 20% from natural gas plants, and only 30% of their power comes from renewable wind and nukes---- This fact, combined with the huge amount of waste that is present in Danish society, indicates that LA is much more green then Copenhagen.

I've been to LA countless times and would have to agree that I am deeply impressed with its fundamental sustainability and unusually green character. LA is definitely on the proper track to sustainable living. Except for the freeways, maybe. :)[/quote]

The LA Freeways are pretty bad, and at first it would seem like like the large number of cars in LA would tip the scale towards Copenhagen being greener then LA, in spite of Copenhagen's much greater reliance on fossil fuels for its electricity. But Copenhagen has two more strikes against it in the battle with LA for greenest city. (1) Many more of the cars in Copenhagen (and the EU) are diesels. Diesels cause greenhouse warming in two ways-----the basic CO2 release AND the "black carbon" soot released by diesel combustion that is increasingly implicated in melting of the Arctic sea ice. (2) Copenhagen has many more boats then LA. Boats are the least efficient form of transportation on earth----much more CO2 is released per mile of travel by a boat then by an equivalent sized car.

When you add the much high use of fossil fuels in the Copenhagen electric grid, and the diesel and boat use, IMHO LA probably has the edge for greenest city.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Quinny » Tue 08 Dec 2009, 06:29:57

Except for the freeways. :lol:

I've been to both.

Copenhagen is vunderful. IMO most of LA is a dump, I'd even question it's status as a city in some ways, it's just like a massive sprawl with an urban centre every now and then. Santa Monica and Westwood seemed OK, but wherever I went no-one seemed to walk anywhere, I don't think the fact that they have the good fortune of a large hydo - electric plant defines them as 'green'.
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby 2cher » Tue 08 Dec 2009, 09:21:37

Who on earth would feel safe walking down the streets of LA. Horrible Horrible place
2cher
Peat
Peat

Unread postby rangerone314 » Tue 08 Dec 2009, 09:28:55

I lived in Los Angeles County for 2 1/2 years... and it is NOT the poster child for sustainability. For one, it is in the desert and leeches their water from more productive areas to the north. It is overcrowded.

Compare it to where I live now (Maryland), which is NOT the most sparsely populated state. Maryland has more than twice the surface area but slightly more than half the population of LA County.

They should write a prequel/sequel to "The Road" and base it in LA (present day).
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 08 Dec 2009, 09:32:18

25 years ago when i was there they had a charge for plastic bags, way in advance of other countries. From memory it was 2 Kroner per bag, or about $1. Nobody but a fool would go shopping without a bag/s to bring it home in. That was then and from what i have heard the charge is still in place and people still carry shopping bags rather than using disposables. The premise of this thread is spitefull and not warranted.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Revi » Tue 08 Dec 2009, 09:45:39

Copenhagen is where my relatives live. It is a lot greener than LA in that you can get around in busses and on bikes everywhere. People live with a much smaller footprint. It is still a northern country, and they need to heat and light the city somehow, but they are the country with the highest percentage of wind in their electricity grid. It is backed up by Norwegian hydropower, so the whole Scandinavian area is certainly more sustainable as a whole.

The island of Samso is beyond carbon neutral, and sells much more power than it uses now.

http://www.ngpowereu.com/news/samso-ene ... ufficient/
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dday » Tue 08 Dec 2009, 10:00:32

Well some good responses for my three questions.

How about other sustainable issues;

1. Food miles LA verses CPH?
2. Gallons of gasoline/diesel per person per year LA vs CPH
3. Drinking water - energy used in aquiring and distance from source to users - LA vs. CPH
4. Average commuting distance for citizens LA vs CPH

Looking forward to the replies
dday
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Homesteader » Tue 08 Dec 2009, 10:51:46

IMO the idea that LA is greener than Cophenhagen is ludicrous. Especially note that Copenhagen has a bike culture, and 1/5 of all trips are taken by bicycle.

A few snips from wiki:

The total length of operational track is 2,667 km, 640 km electrified at 25 kV AC, 946 km double track (2008).[3] 508 km is privately owned and operated. Track is standard gauge.

[edit] Railway links with adjacent countries
Sweden — yes — same gauge — voltage change 25 kV AC/15 kV AC.
Germany — yes —same gauge — voltage change 25 kV AC/15 kV AC.
The Oresund Bridge provides a rail connection with Malmö, Sweden. These trains have a 20-minute schedule, and continue further into Skåne County.

There are railway connections from Hamburg to Copenhagen via:

the old Little Belt Bridge — 1935
the Great Belt rail link with the Western Bridge and the Eastern Tunnel — 1997.
A train ferry opened in 1963 as part of the Vogelfluglinie from Rødby, Denmark to Puttgarden, Germany, providing a direct link from Copenhagen to Lübeck and Hamburg in Germany. Several daytime trains Hamburg–Copenhagen still use this ferry. Night trains and freight trains to and from Germany, however, use the Great Belt connection. When the Fehmarn Belt bridge is constructed (expected completion in 2018), it will greatly shorten the journey time between Copenhagen and Hamburg.

The Copenhagen metro[edit] Local city networks
S-train: A traditional suburban train network in the greater Copenhagen area. S-trains (in Danish: S-tog) are electric trains connecting the city center with the suburbs of Copenhagen. The numerous trains leave at 10 or 20 minute intervals. S-trains run from 05:00 hours (weekdays) (06:00 Sundays) until about 0:30 hours.

[edit] Metro
Copenhagen Metro: An automated driverless rail rapid transit system serving Copenhagen and Frederiksberg, Denmark. The system opened in 2002 and currently has two lines with 22 stations and 21.3 km of track, following the 2007 opening of an extension to Copenhagen Airport.

[edit] Roads

Motorways in DenmarkMain article: Road traffic in Denmark
Further information: Motorways in Denmark
The road network in 2008 totalled 73,197 km of paved road, including 1,111 km of motorway.[4] Motorways are toll-free except for the Great Belt Bridge joining Zealand and Funen and the Øresund Bridge linking Copenhagen to Malmö in Sweden.

[edit] Electric vehicles
Denmark is in a strong position in terms of integrating fluctuating and unpredictable energy sources such as wind power in the grid. It is this knowledge that Denmark now aims to exploit in the transport sector by focusing on intelligent battery systems (V2G) and plug-in vehicles.[5] [6]

[edit] Bicycle lanes and tracks

Three free city bikes in CopenhagenDanish cities and towns, especially Odense and Copenhagen, are known for catering for bicycle transportation. Nearly one-fifth of all trips in Copenhagen are by bicycle, and for home-to-work commutes, 36 % of all trips are by bicycle. Odense has been named the "bicycle city of the year" because of the great number of bicycle lanes in the city. A complete network of 350 km all-weather serviced lanes exists in the town

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_in_Denmark
"The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences…"
Sir Winston Churchill

Beliefs are what people fall back on when the facts make them uncomfortable.
Homesteader
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Tue 08 Dec 2009, 11:33:28

I wonder why there is so much heat in " CPH vs LA" . Both cities are unsustainable and are nothing but ulcers on a planet's body. As well as any other city of the similar size.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Next

Return to Energy Technology