Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Australia considering contingency plans for US default

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Australia considering contingency plans for US default

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 12 Dec 2009, 07:27:15

THE OPPOSITION finance spokesman, Barnaby Joyce, believes the United States government could default on its debt, triggering an ''economic Armageddon'' which will make the recent global financial crisis pale into insignificance.

Senator Joyce said yesterday he did not mean to alarm the public but there needed to be a debate about Australia's ''contingency plan'' for a sovereign debt default by the US or even by a local state government.

''A default by the US means complete economic collapse around the world and the question we have got to ask ourselves is where are we in that,'' Senator Joyce said.

The worse scenario is where the US doesn't repay its debt - the $2 trillion in debt it owes to the Chinese, the $1 trillion in debt it has to the Japanese and the $US1 trillion in debt to others - and then we are really nailed.

''The outcome is a shift away from the US dollar as the international trading currency and a shift to the Chinese yuan, and China becomes an immensely powerful player overnight.

''It's the real financial crisis, and the real financial crisis will mean this preamble we have just had pales into insignificance.''

Asked what sort of contingency plan he would advocate, Senator Joyce said it was like trying to prepare for a tidal wave but the local economy should have more self-reliance.

''Things you look for in that economic Armageddon are the capacity to feed ourselves, the capacity to provide the fundamentals in medicines and basic fundamental requirements for our nation.''
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/joyce-warns-of-us-armageddon-20091211-kmlu.html

I'm American, but thought this appropriate for the Aussie & NZ forum.

From my perspective, it's disconcerting to begin to hear foreign governments even discuss (however unlikely) the prospect of a US default.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Australia considering contingency plans for US default

Unread postby katkinkate » Sat 12 Dec 2009, 08:00:04

From an Australian perspective, Mr Joyce's words do not reflect official policy or thinking (according to the Prime Minister). Mr Joyce is one of our politicians of the opposition (ie. not actually in government at the moment).
Kind regards, Katkinkate

"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops,
but the cultivation and perfection of human beings."
Masanobu Fukuoka
katkinkate
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 12 Dec 2009, 08:48:40

Barnaby Joyce is part of the minority party in coalition with the liberal (right wing in Oz) party in opposition, the nationals. He is a rarity in politics, seemingly down to earth and honest. The way he was immetiately rebuked, castigated and told to "Tow the party line" is sick. I am not of his political persuation but I like this guy and i can't say that about ANY other federal politician in Australia at the moment. I applaud his guts and his honesty. Fark the party line.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 12 Dec 2009, 08:56:10

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... 769689.htm

Here is the full story if anyone's interested. By the way the thread is wrong; Barnaby Joyce was acting alone when he said these things. Australia HAS NO CONTIGENCY PLAN AND IS NOT MAKING ONE/ FOR US DEFAULT.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Roy » Sat 12 Dec 2009, 10:47:55

He is a rarity in politics, seemingly down to earth and honest. The way he was immetiately rebuked, castigated and told to "Tow the party line" is sick. I am not of his political persuation but I like this guy and i can't say that about ANY other federal politician in Australia at the moment. I applaud his guts and his honesty. Fark the party line.

An Australian Ron Paul? I swear I had a little moment of deja vu as I read your post. Immediately rebuked and castigated? Probably means he is telling more of the truth than serves the interests of the PTB? Maybe?

That's my opinion, for what it's worth! Probably not much.

:)
A nations military should only be used in a nations self defense, not to entertain liberal cravings for shaping poor nations into images of themselves by force. -- Eastbay

Shooting the messenger is typical when you are incapable of arguing against them. -- Airline Pilot
Roy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 12 Dec 2009, 11:05:06

While it would be nice to think so Barnaby is not in Ron Paul's league. Barnaby pulled his head in immediately while Ron Paul has basicly been daring the GOP to give him the boot or some redneck who thinks he is anti American to shoot him. Ron Paul is unique. Ron Paul is the most deserving President who is simultaneously the most unlikely. I wish we had a Ron Paul.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Return to Australia & New Zealand Discussion