Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Insider Trading : Your Congressman & The Kleptocrats

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Insider Trading : Your Congressman & The Kleptocrats

Unread postby AlexdeLarge » Sat 12 Dec 2009, 12:25:32

Your Head should be exploding................
Hat Tip to BlackSwan (Moderator at Mish's Blog)

Part 1

Black Swan says:

“High salaries are obviously not enough. Our elected officials don't just take their marching orders from the kleptocrats, because the kleptos are funding their campaigns. Get ready to rage:

"For a group often criticized for being out of touch with what's happening on Main Street, some argue Congress seems to be deeply in touch with what will soon happen on Wall Street, especially when compared to the average investor.

"If the question is -- are they using information that they're picking up in Congress to beat the market? The answer is absolutely," said Dr. Alan Ziobrowksi, a professor of economics at Georgia State University.

This may surprise you, but it's perfectly legal for both members of Congress and their staff to use inside knowledge about upcoming legislation to play the stock market.

For example, let's say Congress is quietly preparing to pass a bill that helps the dairy industry. Before the public is aware of Congress's intentions, our elected leaders and their staffer can invest in dairy companies that stand to benefit from the bill. Then, they can pass the bill and watch the stock take off. Critics call it a form of legalized insider trading.

Critics of Congressional investment practices point to a recent transaction made by Republican House Minority Leader John Boehner of Ohio. In September of 2008, when the economy was on the brink of collapse, the U.S. Treasury Secretary and Chairman of the Federal Reserve went to Capitol Hill to privately brief Boehner and other congressional leaders. At the time, one of the greatest economic dangers the country was deflation. One day after that meeting, records show Congressman Boehner pulled his money from a fund tied to inflation.

"It says to me he picked up some information and he tried to save himself a lot of money by dumping it as soon as he could," Dr. Ziobrowksi said. "And again, though, technically speaking, there is absolutely nothing illegal about that."

"I think the worse danger of course is that they're going to be passing and lobbying legislation on the basis of what's good for their portfolio rather than what's good for you and I," Dr. Ziobrowski said.
Viddy well, little brother. Viddy well.
AlexdeLarge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Insider Trading : Your Congressman & The Kleptocrats

Unread postby AlexdeLarge » Sat 12 Dec 2009, 12:27:50

i]Your Head should be exploding................[/i]
Hat Tip to BlackSwan (Moderator at Mish's Blog)

Part 2

Black Swan says:

According to U.S. Representative Louise Slaughter (D-Fairport, NY), when the market was soaring a few years ago, Congress discovered some of its staff members were using their government-owned computers to play the stock market during work.

"The first apparent piece of that came when there was some legislation about asbestos removal, and what we were going to do about it," Slaughter said. "And there was a senate bill that we were waiting for that sort of collapsed. The next morning, the stock on asbestos went through the roof, and there was no question that they had had some kind of prior notice that this was going to happen."

In 2006, Slaughter introduced a bill known as The Stock Act, which would ban Congress and its members from using their inside knowledge of upcoming legislation to make money."

Surprise, the bill failed.

"We have no business doing that," Slaughter said. "What we're there for is writing legislation to benefit everybody in the United States of America. We are not there to make it possible for somebody to make any money what(so)ever on that information."

To some, it is a frightening prospect at a time when Congress has never had as much financial control over Wall Street, and perhaps inside knowledge of what will happen next in the market."

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.as ... ider=gnews
Viddy well, little brother. Viddy well.
AlexdeLarge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ian807 » Sat 12 Dec 2009, 12:31:12

Well, if you're going to commit crimes for a living, start with the legal ones.
ian807
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 12 Dec 2009, 22:31:43

I saw that too, Alex.

It explains why the dems want more government oversight of wall street----it creates more opportunities for them to do insider trading that would be illegal for anyone else.

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sun 13 Dec 2009, 01:35:42

Ok Alex and Plant, so now you're complaining about the full-throated, no-holds-barred, give-me-all-the-marbles-I-want-it-all excesses of unregulated, Republican-style capitalism.

What, are you anti-greed only when a democrat is president?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Economics & Finance