Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

"Perpetual Growth" Myth Hinted At Again?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

"Perpetual Growth" Myth Hinted At Again?

Unread postby mike3 » Sun 20 Dec 2009, 01:55:18

Hi. Take a read of this:
link
The Peak Oil Crisis: China in 2010 By Tom Whipple
Wed, 2 Dec 2009:
It is looking like the course of China's economy will have a lot more to do with your life and lifestyle over the next year or so than you had ever imagined possible. The logic behind this assertion is simple.
The U.S. and for that matter the rest of the OECD economies seem unlikely to be doing much growing in the near future. ...

I left some comments down there, too.
Last edited by Ferretlover on Sat 26 Dec 2009, 20:39:59, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Text added per COC 3.1.5 Copyrighted material: If you wish to reference an article, provide a short, quoted excerpt with a link back to the original source.
mike3
Wood
Wood

Re: "Perpetual Growth" Myth Hinted At Again?

Unread postby americandream » Sun 20 Dec 2009, 15:15:03

6 likely prognostications on the heels of China's over production:
Deflation.
Wholesale flight of all manufacturing into the Chinese deflationary blackhole.

Rise of casualised, non-productive employment (eg: filling potholes) in economies who have lost jobs to China.

Increasingly fabulously rich earners of Chinese dividend income who will dominate Western political circles and media ownership.

Rise of capital poor class of consuming drones.

Apathy
mike3 wrote:Hi. Take a read of this: link I left some comments down there, too.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Revi » Sun 20 Dec 2009, 15:30:00

Excellent article. I think we have to think about the unthinkable. Peak oil is really here now. The days of $3 oil may be over. I was thinking it was over as I saw all these guys with full sized pickups driving around with either nothing in the back or a snowmobile. What are those guys going to do when it costs more to move their vehicles than it does to eat? Which are we going to choose?

It's going to be choosing time soon. Eat or drive...
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby mike3 » Sat 26 Dec 2009, 16:53:55

americandream wrote:6 likely prognostications on the heels of China's over production:
Deflation.
Wholesale flight of all manufacturing into the Chinese deflationary blackhole.
Rise of casualised, non-productive employment (eg: filling potholes) in economies who have lost jobs to China.
Increasingly fabulously rich earners of Chinese dividend income who will dominate Western political circles and media ownership.
Rise of capital poor class of consuming drones.
Apathy
What happens once there's no more oil and gas to fuel all that production? I've heard that China's oil demand is growing... in a time when oil is peaking, or has already peaked and started dropping... Mmmm....... how long will it be before they're in the same boat as the USA... not enough fuel to fuel things that are blown way past their proper bounds...
mike3
Wood
Wood

Unread postby americandream » Sat 26 Dec 2009, 18:28:10

The crunch will come when the owners of capital eventually realise that there is no more surplus from which to accumulate. For the time being, the growth frenzy is being sustained by:

1 The unclear nature of global energy reserves and how we use the current stock of energy. Myths abound and will only be undone when oil, the elephant in the room, is clearly and unmistakeably on the decline;

2 Faith in that great white hope, technology and the endless potential beyond planet earth. The former is based on very shaky foundations, premised as it ultmately is, on something for nothing. All it takes is for one irreplaceable element to fail for this house of cards to collapse. The latter, viz, the long term non-viabilty of space travel given the eventual effects of proliferating space junk, is something we have not really considered and has yet to be confronted.

It is at this point that the two conflicting realities of infinite growth and finite limits will intersect and bubble to the surface at which point I suspect that political dialogue will take a U turn away from endless growth towards a steady state economy which will be communistic.

Its hard to predict a timeline simply because there is such little transparency in issues which concern our energy reserves and alternative technoliogies but my guess is that another 5 decades will see these issues finally and fully settled.
mike3 wrote:What happens once there's no more oil and gas to fuel all that production? I've heard that China's oil demand is growing... in a time when oil is peaking, or has already peaked and started dropping... Mmmm....... how long will it be before they're in the same boat as the USA... not enough fuel to fuel things that are blown way past their proper bounds...
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby mike3 » Thu 31 Dec 2009, 23:26:08

Thanks for the response.
mike3
Wood
Wood

Return to Peak Oil Discussion