Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Food Is Too Cheap

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Food Is Too Cheap

Unread postby deMolay » Sat 16 Jan 2010, 11:08:31

"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Food Is Too Cheap

Unread postby efarmer » Sat 16 Jan 2010, 12:54:07

I make the point, again, that the corporate onslaught on family farms
and small business has destroyed much of the small and redundant
granularity that provide more a support beam of Homeland Security than
the others that receive all the analysis and resources.

And now for a cheap eats recipe:

1 packet of chicken ramen noodles
1 egg from Ludi's chicken coop if the Datsun pickup is not around
1 chopped up green onion, or dash of cumin and chilli or skip for bland

If you intend to share, the discard root ends of the green onions make
dandy earplugs so you don't hear the other person slurping noodles.
Crush the noodles in the bag so they are not long enough to flip into
your eyes when you suck them in like a shop vacuum.

Make the noodles with the onion or spices and scramble the egg in
during the last 30 seconds.
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Sat 16 Jan 2010, 13:25:04

efarmer wrote:1 egg from Ludi's chicken coop if the Datsun pickup is not around

Or you could just ask for one. :roll:
Ludi

Unread postby efarmer » Sat 16 Jan 2010, 15:45:17

I would of course ask you for an egg, but I wanted to come
across in my post like a hard ass who would go in there
like a zombie ninja and steal one. I would also say prayers
for all the hens while I was in there and thought about leaving
a handwritten copy of my fabulous doomloaf recipe for you.
Sheesh, now everyone knows I will be a wimp zombie who
hums "Feelings" while he staggers around after TSHTF.

What would be my chances of getting one of the older hens
for my next recipe?
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ainan » Sat 16 Jan 2010, 16:50:23

Read the article this morning deMolay, linked from your other article.

Fantastic quote:

Humanity may have landed a man on the moon, but nothing compares with two cans of creamed corn for under a buck.

I was working on a document detailing every last scrap of information on long term food storage last year, I will have to dig it out and finish it some time. Would anyone here be interested in reading such a document?
April 2008 Global Population: 6.8 billion
April 2010 Global Population: 7 billion
April 2012 Global Population: 7.2 billion
Ainan
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Revi » Sat 16 Jan 2010, 17:13:57

Food is certainly too cheap. It is cheap to prevent riots. They raise the price of basic foodstuffs and people freak out.

I imagine the cities will be pretty scary if the food runs out.

It could happen. Soon...
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby deMolay » Sat 16 Jan 2010, 17:38:15

|True look at poor Haiti. If they don't get water and food soon. Who knows what will happen.
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby the48thronin » Sat 16 Jan 2010, 19:01:43

Ainan wrote:Read the article this morning deMolay, linked from your other article.

Fantastic quote:

Humanity may have landed a man on the moon, but nothing compares with two cans of creamed corn for under a buck.

I was working on a document detailing every last scrap of information on long term food storage last year, I will have to dig it out and finish it some time. Would anyone here be interested in reading such a document?

yes
Malthusian Riders Member!

Courtesy and Courage Sincerity and Self-control Honor and Loyalty a Code to Live By!
What do the miners do when the canary dies? EVACUATE THE MINE not argue about the color of it's feathers or buy a parrot instead.

Where is my pitchfork and torch? I need them for a visit to the castle!
the48thronin
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ainan » Sat 16 Jan 2010, 19:55:29

the48thronin wrote:
Ainan wrote:Read the article this morning deMolay, linked from your other article.

Fantastic quote:

yes

A man of few words. It needs a lot more work but I'll try working on it over the next few Months.
April 2008 Global Population: 6.8 billion
April 2010 Global Population: 7 billion
April 2012 Global Population: 7.2 billion
Ainan
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby MarkJ » Sun 17 Jan 2010, 07:53:57

Not only is food dirt cheap, but it's free for many people due to food stamps, WIC, free school lunches, food bank supplements etc.

When poor unemployed people can afford to feed their cats solid white albacore tuna, let food spoil and toss so much uneaten food in the garbage, you know food is way, way, way too cheap.

When we were buying bananas recently for 33 cents per pound, a food stamp customer was bitching to the manager since they didn't mark down the ripe bananas, so he marked them down to 19 cents per pound to shut her up.

The growth in local discount stores has created incredible price competition which keeps food prices low as well. People will shop at 4/5/6 stores for the lowest priced groceries which has made the grocery business very competitive.
MarkJ
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ludi » Sun 17 Jan 2010, 12:18:35

MarkJ wrote:Not only is food dirt cheap, but it's free for many people due to food stamps, WIC, free school lunches, food bank supplements etc.
When poor unemployed people can afford to feed their cats solid white albacore tuna, let food spoil and toss so much uneaten food in the garbage, you know food is way, way, way too cheap.
Yeah, lazy people should probably just starve to death. :|
Ludi

Unread postby halfgallon » Sun 17 Jan 2010, 13:19:26

Exellent Sunday morning read.

Iv'e been peak oil aware for a number of years and haven't been stimulated as much by an article as this for quite some time. It puts all the pieces of the puzzle together nicely, leaving little doubt as to where P.O. is taking us, I will be sharing this with family and friends, at least the ones who might take the time to read it, sadly many of them just aren't interested in any news that doesn't blend in with their dreams.
halfgallon
Wood
Wood

Unread postby VMarcHart » Sun 17 Jan 2010, 13:27:39

Ludi wrote:
MarkJ wrote:Not only is food dirt cheap, but it's free for many people due to food stamps, WIC, free school lunches, food bank supplements etc.

Yeah, lazy people should probably just starve to death. :|
Ludi, if I'm good at reading your mind, I too am so-so with Mark's first paragraph. But I think he's on to something with the second. Case in point, a relative earns $40K, his wife stays home, they have a cat and a dog, a van, a car, and a motorcycle, they go to an aunt's house on a weekly basis for hand-me down groceries, they buy a 6-pack nearly every night, and the guy is overweight.

Food is so cheap, that they can afford to divert their meager money towards cat and dog food, to leisure gasoline, other people can afford to buy extra food for them, beer, and they still overweight.

What's wrong with that picture?
On 9/29/08, cube wrote: "The Dow will drop to 4,000 within 2 years". The current tally is 239 bold predictions, 9 right, 96 wrong, 134 open. If you've heard here, it's probably wrong.
VMarcHart
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby hillsidedigger » Sun 17 Jan 2010, 13:43:08

Food won't be too cheap for much longer.
hillsidedigger
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ludi » Sun 17 Jan 2010, 14:51:08

VMarcHart wrote:Food is so cheap, that they can afford to divert their meager money towards cat and dog food, to leisure gasoline, other people can afford to buy extra food for them, beer, and they still overweight. What's wrong with that picture?
They get free food from an aunt instead of stealing it? You tell me. :?:

Personally, I can't imagine throwing food in the garbage. But I'm not poor enough to get all this free stuff. Maybe food should be so expensive even middle class people (in the second from the bottom quintile, like me) have to get free food from the government?

I guess what I'm saying is, your relatives are lucky they have so much money to throw around and relatives give them free food.

Really, I'm not sure what your point is except some people spend money in a way you don't approve of? Does that mean food is too cheap? Or that everything is too cheap? Or what?
Ludi

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 17 Jan 2010, 15:19:57

Ludi wrote:Really, I'm not sure what your point is except some people spend money in a way you don't approve of? Does that mean food is too cheap? Or that everything is too cheap? Or what?
I think the root issue here is with our society's values. Food prices after all, reflect supply and demand (and yes, this gets skewed by government meddling, like many other things).

We now have a president/administration that seems to think that for EVERY problem, we have to rush in and spend a bunch of money (that we don't have). Talk about skewing things.

Of course, for the masses getting the handouts (and voting) this is just dandy. However, it won't end well.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Ludi » Sun 17 Jan 2010, 15:32:28

I'm pretty sure even the upper middle class are not prepared to pay the true cost of food including all the environmental costs, most of which get swept under the rug.

But it's important to put the blame on the poor, for some reason. :|
Ludi

Unread postby VMarcHart » Sun 17 Jan 2010, 17:18:59

Ludi wrote:Really, I'm not sure what your point is except some people spend money in a way you don't approve of? Does that mean food is too cheap?
Sure, I have a beef with the way some people spend money, and money being a quantative image of resources, the way some people spend resources.

I see food as way too affordable, that even the poor can afford to disrespect its value.
On 9/29/08, cube wrote: "The Dow will drop to 4,000 within 2 years". The current tally is 239 bold predictions, 9 right, 96 wrong, 134 open. If you've heard here, it's probably wrong.
VMarcHart
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Sun 17 Jan 2010, 17:37:08

VMarcHart wrote:I see food as way too affordable, that even the poor can afford to disrespect its value.
But our society throws away about 50% of the food. Can we as a society put a higher value on food without starving the poor? If we give food away, that seems to diminish its value. But at the same time, it's not legal to get food from dumpsters. So it's not legal for people to get food for themselves that nobody else wants.

Is simply raising the price of food appropriate. :?:

I guess I'm wondering how to revalue food without punishing the poor for being poor. Or do you feel it's appropriate to punish them if they're poor and fat (from eating low-quality cheap food) or "wasteful" in your opinion?
Ludi

Unread postby VMarcHart » Sun 17 Jan 2010, 17:50:12

Right, we shouldn't punish the poor because they're poor. Actually, we shouldn't punish the poor, period.

We should "punish" the ignorant, regardless of wealth. Ignorance of the quality and quantity of resources and its waste is driving or keeping food prices at unstainable low prices. I have no idea how to accomplish that "punishment" without punishing the poor.

The fact is, if food or any other resource wasn't so cheap, people would value them more. Same with gasoline, if you want to choose another resource.
VMarcHart
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Next

Return to Economics & Finance