Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Supremes remove all limits on corporate campaign donations

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Supremes remove all limits on corporate campaign donations

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 21 Jan 2010, 22:23:26

By a 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court on Thursday rolled back restrictions on corporate spending on federal campaigns. The decision could unleash a torrent of corporate-funded attack ads in upcoming elections.

"Because speech is an essential mechanism of democracy -- it is the means to hold officials accountable to the people -- political speech must prevail against laws that would suppress it by design or inadvertence," wrote Justice Anthony Kennedy for the majority.

In his dissent, Justice John Paul Stevens accused the majority of judicial activism and attacked the use of corporate personhood in the case: "The conceit that corporations must be treated identically to natural persons in the political sphere is not only inaccurate but also inadequate to justify the Court's disposition of this case."

Republicans offered measured praise for the decision, but progressive good-government groups and Democrats responded angrily and vowed to fight back with legislation.

"With its ruling today, the Supreme Court has given a green light to a new stampede of special interest money in our politics," said President Obama in a statement.
link

Well, the corporate takeover is now complete. Some are calling this decision the biggest Supreme Court ruling in generations. Simply put, there are no limits anymore on how much money corporations can throw at politicians. Goldman Sachs, Citi, Bank of America, Big Pharma, Big Ag, the health insurers.. the whole gang of them can now outright buy governments at all levels -- city, county, state, and federal.

Political power will now shift to the CEO's and corporate boardrooms.

In the case of bailed-out companies like the banks and GM, the cruel irony is that in essence they can now use our own tax money to buy the politicians (what a vicious cycle that will be -- get bailed out, buy more pols and get more bailouts).
Last edited by Sixstrings on Thu 21 Jan 2010, 22:55:27, edited 1 time in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Supremes remove all limits on corporate campgain donations

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 21 Jan 2010, 22:31:13

Thanks for posting this Six. I just can't STAND IT.

I guess our conversion to the (original) Rollerball movie scenario is complete - corporations just run the country and the people are truly screwed.

This moves the "doom" clock for America becoming a second rate power up by at least a decade, IMO. (US corporations have a planning horizon of about a year, based on their behavior in recent years).
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Re: Supremes remove all limits on corporate campgain donations

Unread postby TheDude » Thu 21 Jan 2010, 22:45:38

The Alien films have an all-encompassing evil corporation, too. Common theme, natch, here's a list of 15 Evil Corporations in Science Fiction. And that's just in movies.

Kind of refreshing for the SC to drop the facade/pretense. I mean, who among you believed the Emperor had Clothes by this stage, anyway? OMG WTF!
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Re: Supremes remove all limits on corporate campaign donations

Unread postby Narz » Thu 21 Jan 2010, 23:59:38

I support this measure.

"Brought to you by Carl's Jr."

:evil:
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Homesteader » Fri 22 Jan 2010, 01:26:01

A truly sobering and depressing comment on the decline of the USA. The players are global organizations with no allegiance whatsoever to any place, but only the bottom line.
"The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences…"
Sir Winston Churchill

Beliefs are what people fall back on when the facts make them uncomfortable.
Homesteader
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 22 Jan 2010, 01:46:25

Homesteader wrote:A truly sobering and depressing comment on the decline of the USA. The players are global organizations with no allegiance whatsoever to any place, but only the bottom line.

Exactly. The John Roberts Supreme Court has decreed that corporations now enjoy the full constitutional rights of an individual citizen. But as you point out Homesteader, these corporations are GLOBAL entities, not bound by any fealty to this particular country. It's really akin to granting US citizenship to the entire world.

If a foreign power wants to buy some of our politicians, all they have to do is funnel the money through their US subsidiary. And the amount that they can spend is limitless.. China could drop a cool billion in campaign cash if there's something they want bad enough.

The whole debacle is a major boost for Republicons (the ringleader on the Court is Bush's appointee Roberts, the case in question was a right wing hack group). The Rethugs are traditionally in the pocket of big business, so this is just golden for them.

Sadly, as we all know when push comes to shove the Dems will greedily lap up the coming avalanche of corporate money. You can forget all about banking reform now, more stringent food inspection, controls on how Big Pharma pushes their drugs.. get ready to be at the complete mercy of the Corporation. What is good or safe for you no longer matters, all that matters now is what is profitable to the Company.

"Some people call you the elite -- I call you my base." -- George W. Bush
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Homesteader » Fri 22 Jan 2010, 02:01:39

The time of "government" may be passing.
"The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences…"
Sir Winston Churchill

Beliefs are what people fall back on when the facts make them uncomfortable.
Homesteader
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 22 Jan 2010, 02:12:02

Some more on the foreign angle:

A very large percentage of U.S. corporations are owned by foreign persons or entities. In 2006, USA Today reported: "Nearly one in five U.S. oil refineries is owned by foreign companies. Foreign companies also have a sizable presence in running power plants, chemical factories and water treatment facilities in the United States."

It was also reported that, "Roads and bridges built by U.S. taxpayers are starting to be sold off, and so far foreign-owned companies are doing the buying." In 2008, it was reported that foreign ownership of U.S. companies "more than doubled" between 1996 and 2005. To get a fix on the spending power, consider this: "The total receipts of foreign-owned companies were $1.7 trillion in 1996 and just $39 billion in 1971."

I'm not trying to stoke zero-sum xenophobia, here. The idea of foreign persons or entities seizing -- by judicial fiat -- such a dramatic advantage in terms of influence over the American people seems to me to be, as they say, less than ideal.
link

The worst part is, when these ads starts coming we won't even know which corporations are behind it. What they do is just set up a shell company, with names like "Citizens for This and That," and "Americans for Reform," blah blah blah.

The average Joe Sixpack or Mildred the Retiree isn't going to ever google who's behind the ads and such.. all they'll see is a flood of attack ads, funded by God knows who. Heck, even the "Tea Party" has already been corporatized.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Kristen » Fri 22 Jan 2010, 05:51:41

Ha. Checkmate. However, I think the public will not be amused. The forgotten ones, will not be able to vote. The people, who are going bankrupt, will be disgusted by the amount of money being given to campaigns--All that money wasted on a rigged election instead of putting it into making life a better place will open that sliver further in the mind of populace. Ironically, the corporations will give each part an fair amount,

They are playing with fire; purposely manipulating human beings on such a scale may have lasting results, some unintentional, others disastrous. Most sectors of "Business" already have scaled down to duopoly and triopolies. They are getting smaller, but the the amount of assets they own is really to large to control. As more and more houses become deserted, people will sneak back in, taking down the for sale sign. The bankers are so confident, they bother to check. Sure stealing is immoral, but equally as abhorrent is denying the basic human right of a place to live. If it's winter, as in MN right now, all that empty space should be used to keep people warm. It was intended to be a house and it should be one.
Kristen
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Roy » Fri 22 Jan 2010, 07:45:09

While listening to NPR last night on the way home from work, I heard them discussing this very story. They interviewed Newt Gingrich, who proclaimed this decision as a victory for middle class voters.

He said that the 'elected' (he should have said purchased) representatives have been ignoring the middle class (truth), and now they will not be able to do so (WTF?).

This is sort of like "War is Peace" or "Freedom is Slavery" or the "Clean Air Act" or "Mission Accomplished".

Orwellian doublespeak.

They should just have the elections on EBAY. That way we could see who the high bidder was and what they paid for each one.

Voting in this system is an abject waste of time unless you are willing to pull the lever for the War/Deficit/For Sale to the Highest Bidder party.

In my humble opinion.
A nations military should only be used in a nations self defense, not to entertain liberal cravings for shaping poor nations into images of themselves by force. -- Eastbay

Shooting the messenger is typical when you are incapable of arguing against them. -- Airline Pilot
Roy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rangerone314 » Fri 22 Jan 2010, 08:53:03

If this doesn't prove that it is time for a Constitutional convention, disbandment, and then formation of a new government system based on democracy (as opposed to plutocracy), then what will it take?

The circle is complete. Combine this decision with the NEW eminent domain,
The Supreme Court's decision in Kelo v. City of New London, 545 U.S. 469 (2005) affirmed the authority of New London, Connecticut, to take non-blighted private property by eminent domain, and then transfer it for a dollar a year to a private developer solely for the purpose of increasing municipal revenues
Corporations don't just have the RIGHTS of an individual citizen, they can now function as super-citizens.

Combine this with corporate subsidies and taxpayer-funded bailouts, and it is obvious we have neither democracy nor capitalism.

As an alternative in lieu of rebuilding a system from scratch, I wonder which state in the union is LEAST ruled by corporations and what their prospect would be for secession?
President Thomas Jefferson wrote:If any state in the Union will declare that it prefers separation...to a continuance in union... I have no hesitation in saying, 'let us separate.'

Or as a third-alternative, just abandon pretences of democracy and just let a few rich people (as opposed to corporations) rule directly. At least humans (even rich b*stards) have SOME ethics and conscience, as opposed to the abstract system and machinery that is a corporation which has none.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Fri 22 Jan 2010, 09:56:47

Well, whatever regs they had in place weren't doing much to stop a lot of the activities you guys are saying is going to happen. I don't think it will be as bad (relative to the current system) as everyone thinks. Local elections are won by standard retail politics and won't be affected and I think the state candidates will be vulnerable if it is exposed that they are getting huge support from an outside or unpopular coporate entity. The national level election is all cartoon politics anyway.

I'd prefer a system that allows any amount and source of contribution, but requires full disclosure (whatever that can be made to mean).
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby 2cher » Fri 22 Jan 2010, 10:28:17

Narz wrote:I support this measure.

"Brought to you by Carl's Jr."

:evil:

HAHAHAHAHAHA [smilie=llorar.gif]

Nice Reference

Maybe you should have said The Supreme Court -- "Brought to you by Carl's Jr."
2cher
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Olaf » Fri 22 Jan 2010, 10:29:28

This will cause real damage, even if it can get fixed later, which I doubt. Every house seat is up THIS year. If you wondered how much more corrupted the federal government could be, you are about to find out.

Newt Gingrich is a tool.

Olaf
Olaf

Unread postby rangerone314 » Fri 22 Jan 2010, 10:49:22

What we need is a Constitutional amendment to end corporate personhood.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Fri 22 Jan 2010, 10:57:55

rangerone314 wrote:What we need is a Constitutional amendment to end corporate personhood.

And how will that happen when all the congress is bought by corporations?

8O
Ludi

Unread postby 2cher » Fri 22 Jan 2010, 11:08:15

rangerone314 wrote:What we need is a Constitutional amendment to end corporate personhood.

What we need to do is limit terms to 1 4 year period for the senate
2cher
Peat
Peat

Unread postby 2cher » Fri 22 Jan 2010, 11:08:52

Ludi wrote:

And how will that happen when all the congress is bought by corporations?

8O

Massive overthrow of the government?
2cher
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Ludi » Fri 22 Jan 2010, 11:16:11

2cher wrote:Massive overthrow of the government?

How will we do that?
Ludi

Unread postby rangerone314 » Fri 22 Jan 2010, 11:19:32

Anyone ever consider the need for a union of taxpayers to negotiate when the gov gets out of hand, sort of like a union that negotiates with management at a company?

Just imagine a taxpayer union. The gov decides to act like crap. Then the taxpayer union orders a 5 million man march on DC.

rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Next

Return to North America Discussion