Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What If the Global Economy Was a Giant Hamster?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

What If the Global Economy Was a Giant Hamster?

Unread postby Graeme » Mon 25 Jan 2010, 18:15:32

What If the Global Economy Was a Giant Hamster? or Infinite Growth on a Finite Planet (Video)

This is one of the funniest takes I've ever seen on what it is the single most important topic in the green movement. Forget climate change, forget renewable energy, forget peak oil, forget green gadgets, biodiversity loss, endangered species, and every other thing TreeHugger publishes. Without addressing the quest for never-ending economic growth--meaning ever increasing consumption of natural resources, beyond the ability of the planet to regenerate those--all of those other important, pressing issues will not be solved, full stop.

Here's the accompanying report: Growth Isn't Possible: Why we need a new economic direction [PDF]

treehugger
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: What If the Global Economy Was a Giant Hamster?

Unread postby Novus » Mon 25 Jan 2010, 18:28:39

I didn't think it was funny. Much to true and much to sad to be funny.
Novus
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby mlit » Mon 25 Jan 2010, 18:50:47

My daughters hamster recently died after a year of bloated anguish covered with tumors. I should have put the little bastard out of his misery some time ago.
An Optimist is eventually wrong, A Pessimist is eventually right.
mlit
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Graeme » Mon 25 Jan 2010, 19:50:32

If you are not already aware, some progress has been made in this area (sustainability economics) with the award of 2009 Nobel Prize in Economics to Elinor Ostrom.

Nobel Prize For Economics: Elinor Ostrom, Oliver Williamson Win

One scholar studies how best to manage resources like forests, fisheries and oilfields. A fellow American looks at why some companies grow so large. Together they're winners of this year's Nobel Prize in economics for groundbreaking work that could affect efforts to prevent another global financial crisis.

Elinor Ostrom, 76, known for her work on the management of common resources, is the first woman to win a Nobel in economics. She shares this year's prize with Oliver Williamson, 77, who pioneered the study of how and why companies structure themselves and how they resolve conflicts.

huffingtonpost
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Narz » Mon 25 Jan 2010, 22:20:20

mlit wrote:My daughters hamster recently died after a year of bloated anguish covered with tumors. I should have put the little bastard out of his misery some time ago.

Why didn't you just tell your daughter not to feed the little bastard so much?
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ayame » Tue 26 Jan 2010, 01:40:55

Narz wrote:
mlit wrote:My daughters hamster recently died after a year of bloated anguish covered with tumors. I should have put the little bastard out of his misery some time ago.

I'm pretty sure milt is referring cancer tumors which have nothing to do with how much you feed your hamster. It's the way most hamsters die. We had to have two put down because of it. The last one couldn't even walk properly and practically stopped eating near the end.

Regarding the video it's good but still will completely bypass the sheeple who will be looking for showbiz news on Lady Gaga.
Ayame
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby pablonite » Tue 26 Jan 2010, 02:02:14

Graeme wrote:If you are not already aware, some progress has been made in this area (sustainability economics) with the award of 2009 Nobel Prize in Economics to Elinor Ostrom.

Nobel Prize For Economics: Elinor Ostrom, Oliver Williamson Win

One scholar studies how best to manage resources like forests, fisheries and oilfields. A fellow American looks at why some companies grow so large. Together they're winners of this year's Nobel Prize in economics for groundbreaking work that could affect efforts to prevent another global financial crisis.

Elinor Ostrom, 76, known for her work on the management of common resources, is the first woman to win a Nobel in economics. She shares this year's prize with Oliver Williamson, 77, who pioneered the study of how and why companies structure themselves and how they resolve conflicts.

huffingtonpost

So Obama wins a Nobel peace prize for increasing troops by 30,000 in the mideeast and "bailing out" banksters, Gore and his sidekick Pachauri running the IPCC win for the "science" of manipulated data pumped through questionable computer models and now Elinor Ostrom wins the Nobel economic prize for showing how big corporations got so big along with "groundbreaking" work to prevent another financial crises?

I'm sure Elinor started with ruling out the possibility of a financial crises being engineered to herd the sheeple along manufacturing our Nobel prize winning philanthropists along the way. What a joke.

Nobel is rolling in his grave.
pablonite
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pretorian » Tue 26 Jan 2010, 05:57:38

sorry, but how do you put him down? Isnt he too wiggly to shoot him in the head with a small gun? Isnt he too little for a shotgun?
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ayame » Tue 26 Jan 2010, 07:52:41

Pretorian wrote:

sorry, but how do you put him down? Isnt he too wiggly to shoot him in the head with a small gun? Isnt he too little for a shotgun?

We took ours to the vet who then stabbed him in the heart with a syringe. The poor little thing yelped. I think next time we will go with the gas option.
Ayame
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 26 Jan 2010, 08:29:18

That is the problem with pet hamsters, in the wild it would have died much earlier from predation. The weak and the sick are the easiest targets so they usually get eaten first, along with some healthy but unlucky prey.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby efarmer » Tue 26 Jan 2010, 10:34:16

I took my old hamster to a bankster. He incorporated him, issued
stock and then divided it up into tranches with the top tranche
being the Healthy Hamster Hedge Fund in the Cayman Islands.
The sickened physical hamster died and the holders of the
bottom Hamster Tranches lost their investment, but my
shares in the Healthy Hamster Hedge Fund are alive and
well, and will allow me to invest in new hamsters, and when
they get old and sick enough, I will be able to make money on
them as well instead of being stuck with a tumorous dead hamster.

The Healthy Hamster Hedge Fund is putting money behind a
U.S. Senator who will defend the rights of virtual hamsters
in the Caymans so they are not murdered by regulators.

Bling (the physical hamster portion of the enterprise) is now
stuffed, is a CEO, and is in a safety deposit box on Grand
Cayman.
Last edited by efarmer on Tue 26 Jan 2010, 11:57:30, edited 1 time in total.
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby rangerone314 » Tue 26 Jan 2010, 10:39:09

I made the mistake of putting a hamster in the same cage with the rat, and the hamster killed the rat.

So if the global economy is a hampster, who are the rats?
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby efarmer » Tue 26 Jan 2010, 11:42:40

Bling are a Golden Hamster from Syria, they too would have kicked a rat cellmates
ass as a matter of principle, much less an obvious watering down of rodent market
value.
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby eXpat » Tue 26 Jan 2010, 11:50:18

Time for a cute pic :P
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Narz » Tue 26 Jan 2010, 12:14:35

Ayame wrote:
Narz wrote:

I'm pretty sure milt is referring cancer tumors

Oh opps, I thought he meant bloated as in obese.
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Economics & Finance