Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Phoenix To Tax Food 2%

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Phoenix To Tax Food 2%

Unread postby deMolay » Thu 04 Feb 2010, 20:08:06

In a desparate sell out to Unions citizens will be taxed on necessities of life. http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... x0203.html
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Phoenix To Tax Food 2%

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Thu 04 Feb 2010, 20:14:11

deMolay wrote:In a desparate sell out to Unions citizens will be taxed on necessities of life. http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... x0203.html

When is the last time any govt (city, state) taxed ordinary food? This seems extraordinarily desperate.

OTOH, if this becomes law, other jurisdictions may follow suit.

2010 is shaping up to be a doomer's delight.
Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Location: 7035 Hollis ... Near the Observatory ... Just down the way, tucked back in the small woods

Unread postby deMolay » Thu 04 Feb 2010, 20:27:43

All taxes are sold as temporary or at a low rate initially, then ramped up once the Suckers Get Used To It. To quote King Louis the 14th of Frances's Finance Minister. " The art of taxation is the ability to pluck the greatest amount of feathers with the least amount of sqawking."
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby NeedsBetterName » Thu 04 Feb 2010, 20:44:05

Someone commented this. I think it fits well.

Code: Select all
Tax, tax and more tax, when is enough enough...

Tax his land,
Tax his bed,
Tax the table
At which he's fed.

Tax his tractor,
Tax his mule,
Teach him taxes
Are the rule.

Tax his work,
Tax his pay,
He works for peanuts
Anyway!

Tax his cow,
Tax his goat,
Tax his pants,
Tax his coat.
Tax his ties,
Tax his shirt,
Tax his work,
Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,
Tax his drink,
Tax him if he
Tries to think.

Tax his cigars,
Tax his beers,
If he cries
Tax his tears.

Tax his car,
Tax his gas,
Find other ways
To tax his a--.

Tax all he has
Then let him know
That you won't be done
Till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers;
Then tax him some more,
Tax him till
He's good and sore.

Then tax his coffin,
Tax his grave,
Tax the sod in
Which he's laid.

Put these words
Upon his tomb,
'Taxes drove me
to my doom...'

When he's gone,
Do not relax,
Its time to apply
The inheritance tax.

Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
CDL license Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Excise Taxes
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel Permit Tax
Gasoline Tax (currently 44.75 cents per gallon)
Gross Receipts Tax
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax
Inventory Tax
IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
Liquor Tax
Luxury Taxes
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Personal Property Tax
Property Tax
Real Estate Tax
Service Charge Tax
Social Security Tax
Road Usage Tax
Sales Tax
Recreational Vehicle Tax
School Tax
State Income Tax
State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
Telephone Federal Excise Tax
Telephone Federal Universal Service FeeTax
Telephone Federal, State & Local Surcharge Taxes
Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
Telephone Recurring & Non-recurring Charges Tax
Telephone State and Local Tax
Telephone Usage Charge Tax
Toll tag Tax
Transportation Tax
Utility Taxes
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Watercraft Registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax

*And there's many, many more taxes not listed above we all pay already.

What happened? Can you spell 'politicians ?'

And some can actually say we need MORE TAXES with a straight face ?
NeedsBetterName
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Ludi » Thu 04 Feb 2010, 20:52:04

This is when folks need to try to raise their own food. But that's probably damn hard in Phoenix. :(
Ludi

Unread postby Prince » Thu 04 Feb 2010, 21:18:38

Spending is out-of-control, so they scared the people with a classic tactic. They cut services for much-needed entities (education, police. and fire), so people complain that essential services are cut, so taxes are raised. Notice they never cut smaller programs that are useless and wasteful. In effect, they don't really cut essential programs either. It's much easier to get tax increases passed this way.

I also notice that this doesn't affect food stamp recipients, which I assume are pretty high in parts of Phoenix.

I live in WA State, and state congress is currently trying to loophole a few things in order to increase taxes on us as well. Our sales tax at ~10% is already one of the highest in the nation, so I doubt they'll get that one much higher, but I'm sure they'll push for a "rich" tax (Oregon just increased there's last week), higher property taxes, or other BS taxes (car tabs, food sales tax, etc).

Funny thing about WA, speaking of taxes, I read in our local paper today that since people have been driving less and driving more efficient cars here in Liberalville (Seattle), that gas tax revenue for the state is down and it is has resulted in expanded budget deficits. There has been a huge push to get more people in smaller cars and in public transit... and once the lemmings do so, tax revenue is down... Oops.
Prince
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby timmac » Thu 04 Feb 2010, 21:30:55

Why the city officials want to ring a new food tax and not choose to layoff a few firefighters and cops is beyond me, I don't know how they are with the fire dept but hear in Vegas we had a fire across the street in neighbors house and there was 4 fire trucks and about 20 fire fighters, 10-12 of them were just standing around and really only 4-5 were doing the work, funny thing 2 of them were women and they were doing most of the grunt work, must been newbies, I do think in most large cities that fire fighters and cops are to many, but the union is so embedded with city officials we will all just keep paying more taxes so they can keep there salaries and retirements..

Watch out, once other cities see this it will be coming to your town and state next..
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby rangerone314 » Fri 05 Feb 2010, 12:53:53

What can you expect when most of the politicians are lawyers?

A tax is where you take money from people who actually PRODUCE some kind of good or a service. A tax doesn't mean you'll actually see anything useful done with the money.

Lawyers don't MAKE anything (except money for themselves), but they take money from people who are PRODUCTIVE>

Since most (American at least) politicians are lawyers, it seems logical that they continue in government the philosophy that was entailed in their law career.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Fri 05 Feb 2010, 13:44:46

rangerone314 wrote:A tax is where you take money from people who actually PRODUCE some kind of good or a service. A tax doesn't mean you'll actually see anything useful done with the money.

I guess that's why we don't like taxing the rich, because they don't produce anything.
Ludi

Unread postby Olaf » Fri 05 Feb 2010, 13:58:08

So much lawyer hate. Hate a lack of integrity in everything, but it is just too easy to hate lawyers by putting them into a category like that. Races and religions get put there too. Lawyers suck until you need one.

I am not a lawyer, but did almost go to law school many years ago.

Olaf
Olaf

Unread postby rangerone314 » Fri 05 Feb 2010, 14:05:47

Olaf wrote:So much lawyer hate. Hate a lack of integrity in everything, but it is just too easy to hate lawyers by putting them into a category like that. Races and religions get put there too. Lawyers suck until you need one.

I am not a lawyer, but did almost go to law school many years ago.

Olaf

I could say that morticians suck too until you need one, but I don't really feel that way.

Morticians don't work to create the circumstances for more death.

I can't say the same about lawyers, prosecutors, judges, politicians...
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby centralstump » Fri 05 Feb 2010, 18:38:42

Oh but there is more. Governor Brewer is putting forward a sales tax increase. Phoenix is planning on taxing food. They are talking about a new round of Sale/Leasebacks on government buildings. None of which is expected to cover budget shortfalls this year. (I heard they are looking for a magic wand to buy for next year)

Its a zoo down here.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9DM1F1G0.htm

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/2010/01/15/20100115invest0115.html
centralstump
Peat
Peat

Unread postby rangerone314 » Fri 05 Feb 2010, 19:35:58

Why don't we just sell the West Coast to China in exchange for our entire national debt, like the Russians sold us Alaska in the Seward Purchase?

rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby JJ » Fri 05 Feb 2010, 20:17:48

timmac wrote:Why the city officials want to ring a new food tax and not choose to layoff a few firefighters and cops is beyond me, I don't know how they are with the fire dept but hear in Vegas we had a fire across the street in neighbors house and there was 4 fire trucks and about 20 fire fighters, 10-12 of them were just standing around and really only 4-5 were doing the work, funny thing 2 of them were women and they were doing most of the grunt work, must been newbies, I do think in most large cities that fire fighters and cops are to many, but the union is so embedded with city officials we will all just keep paying more taxes so they can keep there salaries and retirements..

Watch out, once other cities see this it will be coming to your town and state next..

It's not beyond me. I was talking to a local firefighter here in little Burnet, Texas, who just moved here from NJ. He went to work for our fire department at twice what I make annually and because he had retired from the FD in NJ he was grandfathered in here and will be able to retire here after only five years. (he is my age, 51). He is getting over 100,000 dollars a year (including his pension) plus benefits for what appears to me to be doing almost nothing. Need to raise taxes to support that. :(

and the other part that chaps me is that when there is an emergency call, five or six vehicles are dispatched. When I fell over in a coma, I was billed 7,800. for the ambulance ride five blocks (Bing said they didn't even turn on the lights) and 8000 dollars for the helicopter ride after I lay in the ER for four hours because they didn't know what to do with me (thankfully the neurosurgeons in Austin were much more professional).

Its definitely a health industry. don't know about the care part. almost every nurse I see is 200 pounds overweight. The Austin American Statesman ran an article about some nurse reunion on the front page with about fifty nurses lined up in a row for the picture and only ONE of them was normal sized. All the rest were morbidly obese. I wonder if I'm the only one who noticed? even the female gym teacher up here at the middle school must weight 500 pounds.

edited to clarify
JJ
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Ayoob » Fri 05 Feb 2010, 20:27:11

If you don't like the bill, why don't you refuse services?

The nurses are fat, so sign out of the hospital AMA and go home!

Refuse the ambulance ride, keep your cell phone handy and call your friends to come pick you up.
Ayoob
Expert
Expert

Unread postby JJ » Fri 05 Feb 2010, 20:38:24

Ayoob wrote:If you don't like the bill, why don't you refuse services?

The nurses are fat, so sign out of the hospital AMA and go home!

Refuse the ambulance ride, keep your cell phone handy and call your friends to come pick you up.

Ayoob, I was unconcious. :(

I don't make it a practice to ride in ambulances...an interesting note, my insurance company paid 5000 dollars for the ambulance ride, then Burnet ambulance turned me over to a collection agency in Houston for the remainder (without notifying me). When they called me, I told them you contracted with the insurance company and I have met my deductible, so leave me alone (they did). Austin ambulance was worse, the insurance company sent me a check in full for the helicopter ride (which unfortunately I can't remember, although both my wrists are deeply scared where they strapped me in). Two days later I got a furious letter from the helicopter company saying they had been informed by the insurance company that the insurance company had sent me a check and they were going to sue me blah blah blah (I never recieved a bill from them). I sent them the check, but my wife said I should have sent the Austin American Statesman the letter so they could print it and let people see how their air ambulance company treated people. (I still have the letter). Two years later they sent me an invitation to attend their alumni meeting for transportees; my wife was going to send them a box of ashes and tell them I didn't make it. :)

Your wife quit puking yet?
JJ
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Ayoob » Sat 06 Feb 2010, 01:20:33

Yeah, she's done puking. Doing rather well, actually. Thanks for asking!
Ayoob
Expert
Expert

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Sat 06 Feb 2010, 02:08:29

JJ wrote:
timmac wrote:Why the city officials want to ring a new food tax and not choose to layoff a few firefighters and cops is beyond me, I don't know how they are with the fire dept but hear in Vegas we had a fire across the street in neighbors house and there was 4 fire trucks and about 20 fire fighters, 10-12 of them were just standing around and really only 4-5 were doing the work, funny thing 2 of them were women and they were doing most of the grunt work, must been newbies, I do think in most large cities that fire fighters and cops are to many, but the union is so embedded with city officials we will all just keep paying more taxes so they can keep there salaries and retirements..

and the other part that chaps me is that when there is an emergency call, five or six vehicles are dispatched. When I fell over in a coma, I was billed 7,800. for the ambulance ride five blocks (Bing said they didn't even turn on the lights) and 8000 dollars for the helicopter ride after I lay in the ER for four hours because they didn't know what to do with me (thankfully the neurosurgeons in Austin were much more professional).

Its definitely a health industry. don't know about the care part. almost every nurse I see is 200 pounds overweight.

Yep that sounds like your basic small town death trap hospital. We had a relative at a branch of a famous hospital, and I struck by how trim and physically fit the staff looked and that they were zipping around working every second. We still had to watch them carefully, and there were a couple medication mistakes.

You know a lot of towns get by with volunteer fire departments, and our town has about 10 fire departments that are fast and well equipped in every way, but don't get paid. The do carry s a lot of political clout. As much as I like to ridicule Libertarians, that's an example of where it has worked well for many decades.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Sat 06 Feb 2010, 03:48:34

Ayoob wrote:If you don't like the bill, why don't you refuse services?

are you suggesting that sending 6 vehicles after one unconscious man is justifiable in any possible way? Well I can think of one reason-- it gotta feel nice to bill somebody at $260 per vehicle per block.
I do not think there is ONE example in human history of a bigger waste and open-handed fraud than modern US emergency medicine with or without consecutive hospitalizations.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby MarkJ » Sat 06 Feb 2010, 08:34:17

Recently I transported one of my tenants to a chemotherapy appointment. Of all the medical staffers, only 2 physicians and one RN weren't obese.

While he was receiving his treatment, many of the medical staffers were performing injections and other bloodwork without gloves. The medical staffers were literally throwing used needles, dressings, tape and snot rags into open containers inches from clients sitting in waiting room chairs. Some of them missed, or the objects bounced out of the open containers. Almost nobody was washing their hands although many staffers were wiping their noses with their wrists and hands.

When the staffers used the bathroom, you could tell some of them didn't wash their hands since you could hear that the sink wasn't running, the automated towel dispenser wasn't operating and the foot operated trash can wasn't used.

Like any other profession, you have a very small amount of consistently competent true professionals at the top, but a large percentage of hacks performing much of the work.
MarkJ
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to Economics & Finance