Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

4% of GDP is $80 oil = Recession

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Shadow Stats

Unread postby Olaf » Thu 10 Dec 2009, 14:30:45

Interesting web page that I came across. Someone has probably posted it before, but thought I would share.

http://www.shadowstats.com/

Olaf
Olaf

4% of GDP is $80 oil = Recession

Unread postby bratticus » Sat 06 Feb 2010, 16:15:12

The first peak oil recession: Interview with Steven Kopits (link)

Kopits: The US has experienced six recessions since 1972. At least five of these were associated with oil prices. In every case, when oil consumption in the US reached 4% percent of GDP, the US went into recession. Right now, 4% of GDP is $80 oil. So that’s my current view: If the oil price exceeds $80, then expect the US to fall back into recession.

Oil: What price can America afford? (link)
Steven Kopits

The US economy has tended to grow well when oil consumption expenditures were less than 2% of GDP. In the early 1970s, for example, oil ranged from 1% to 2% of GDP. By contrast, from 1973 through 1978, oil consumption’s share of the economy peaked as high as 6.3%, never fell below 4%, and averaged 5.3% of GDP. In other words, oil expenditures represented a drag of about 3% of the economy throughout the period.

Many Americans remember the era as a depressing time...

I welcome any input on how to calculate the price of oil required to be 4% of the 2007 US GDP. This is just my playful effort at it.

Can't get a single answer about the 2007 US GDP so here are two:

GDP: $13.84 Trillion (2007 Est.)

GDP Purchasing Parity Power - $14.56 trillion (2007 est.)

13.84 * 0.04 = 0.5536 so 4% of the 2007 US GDP is about $553 billion.
14.56 * 0.04 = 0.5824 so 4% of the 2007 US GDP is about $582 billion.

US oil consumption 2007 -- 20.73 million bbl/day

I'm struggling with how to get the "time aspect" right.

$553 / 365 = $1.515 billion "GDP day"
$582 / 365 = $1.595

20.73 * $70/bbl = $1451.10 so at $70/bbl about $1.45 billion/day
20.73 * $80/bbl = $1658.40 so at $80/bbl about $1.65 billion/day

The price of oil between $70 - $80/bbl oil for one day is around 4% of the US 2007 GDP for one day.

Does that make sense?
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Re: 4% of GDP is $80 oil = Recession

Unread postby TheDude » Sat 06 Feb 2010, 16:26:58

Sounds about right. Here's a good source for annualized international data: ERS/USDA Data - International Macroeconomic Data Set. Monthly US data you can get from the BEA.

Were you around when Ken Deffeyes posted about this?

Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby bratticus » Sat 06 Feb 2010, 17:04:59

pstarr wrote:But we have never seen inflation during an economic contraction.

So is the term "stagflation" not applicable?
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby mos6507 » Sat 06 Feb 2010, 17:28:33

pstarr wrote:I am so tired of hearing that a housing boom in the "Inland Empire" or Cleveland, Ohio caused this world economic contraction. Germany and Japan went into recession before the US real estate crash or the financial meltdown.

Occam's razor suggest we look for the simplest explanation of this recession, $147 oil. The essential definition of economy tells us it is futile to do with more things that which can be done with fewer.

mos6507

Unread postby mos6507 » Sat 06 Feb 2010, 17:41:55

bratticus wrote:(does it mean anything?)

I guess not if you haven't studied the credit crisis at all to know the difference between an ARM and a CDO.

As long as you guys want to look at things purely from the prism of peak oil, you'll miss important details, like, um, just the little detail of the biggest debt bubble in the history of mankind.
mos6507

Unread postby mos6507 » Sat 06 Feb 2010, 17:48:49

pstarr wrote:Mos, how do you explain Germany and Japan's economic recessions? Do you believe that the US housing mortgage crisis is responsible for impending financial collapse of Greece, Spain, Portugal, etc? Have have read Hamilton, Rubin, Therramus., or Steven Kopits? Do you have data to refute them? By the way, cute picture. Very retro, Like your thinking :lol:

We've been down this road a dozen times. Do we have to do this again? All I'm saying is your marginalization of the credit crisis is laughable. Absolutely laughable. The damage the credit crisis--on its own--has done to the economy of the US and the globe is unprecedented and will linger on for many years.
mos6507

Unread postby bratticus » Sat 06 Feb 2010, 17:50:57

mos6507 wrote:We've been down this road a dozen times. Do we have to do this again? All I'm saying is your marginalization of the credit crisis is laughable. Absolutely laughable. The damage the credit crisis--on its own--has done to the economy of the US and the globe is unprecedented and will linger on for many years.

Can you explain how the US went from being a creditor nation to a debtor one?

Last edited by bratticus on Sat 06 Feb 2010, 17:52:50, edited 1 time in total.
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby mos6507 » Sat 06 Feb 2010, 17:52:05

bratticus wrote:Can you explain how the US went from being a creditor nation to a debtor one?

It wasn't $147 oil that made that happen.
mos6507

Unread postby dorlomin » Sat 06 Feb 2010, 17:56:37

bratticus wrote:
mos6507 wrote:We've been down this road a dozen times. Do we have to do this again? All I'm saying is your marginalization of the credit crisis is laughable. Absolutely laughable. The damage the credit crisis--on its own--has done to the economy of the US and the globe is unprecedented and will linger on for many years.

Can you explain how the US went from being a creditor nation to a debtor one?

By spending more than it earned?
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Sat 06 Feb 2010, 18:01:52

dorlomin wrote:Image

Imports don't tell the whole story. Price is more important, and we all know oil prices in the early 90s were at historic lows, imports or no imports.
mos6507

Unread postby dorlomin » Sat 06 Feb 2010, 18:04:45

mos6507 wrote:Imports don't tell the whole story. Price is more important, and we all know oil prices in the early 90s were at historic lows, imports or no imports.

And there are a number of countries that do quite well for themselves without ever having had large oil industries. They simply produce goods people want to buy and largely avoid spending more than they earned.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Sat 06 Feb 2010, 18:45:47

pstarr wrote:Higher oil prices preceded the recession. Not an embargo, not a war in the mideast, etc. What preceded both this world-wide financial crisis and the mortgage crisis? ONE BIG F#CKING EVENT. you know but you refuse to here it.

What preceded the recession was a huge wave of liar loans given to people who had NO HOPE of paying their mortgages after the ARMs reset. And those mortgages were bundled together into fraudulent "AAA" financial products that were then sold across the globe. It was the equivalent of a financial biological weapon. Once the stage was set, the end result was unavoidable.

By 2007, the pool of buyers for housing had diminished so much because those who wanted had already bought in, or housing prices had appreciated so far that even teaser loans would not yield an acceptable monthly fee. And around that time, the foreclosures began.

Did people pay more to commute from the exurbs? Did this apply downard pressure on exurban house prices? Did the failure of GM and Chrysler and the ailing airlines matter? Yes, but if you removed all those factors, the end result would have been much the same.

There was no further inflation of the housing bubble possible. $10 oil would not have allowed another round of housing mania. It was gonna pop, period.

This has been my claim all along, and you dispute it. Peak oil neophytes like Jeff Rubin who are more interested in waving the "Soylent Green is Peeple" flag than really getting down and dirty into the data say what you want to hear, but it just doesn't hold up under scrutiny.

Remove $147/oil and the credit crisis still happens and (IMHO) would have been pretty much just as bad as it turned out with $147/oil.

The credit crisis was more than sufficient to cause the situation that we have today. I say this not as a "peak oiler" but as a rational independent thinker. I will not let peak oil bias me into placing the oil superspike (which, let's face it, was partly driven by speculation) to the center stage as the causative factor of the recession.

Throwing ad homs my way will just get your posts flagged.
mos6507

Unread postby bratticus » Sat 06 Feb 2010, 19:01:30

mos6507 wrote:What preceded the recession was a huge wave of liar loans given to people who had NO HOPE of paying their mortgages after the ARMs reset.

Do you have any explanation of why this was done?
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby diemos » Sat 06 Feb 2010, 19:18:23

bratticus wrote:

Because the financial players had found a way to collect a fee up front for making a bad loan and then passing any potential future losses onto some chump. In the end, that chump became the US taxpayer.
diemos
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby bratticus » Sat 06 Feb 2010, 19:21:13

diemos wrote:
bratticus wrote:

Because the financial players had found a way to collect a fee up front for making a bad loan and then passing any potential future losses onto some chump. In the end, that chump became the US taxpayer.

So why did it take until the 21st century to try it?
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Next

Return to Economics & Finance