Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Black shales: Natural gas AND uranium!

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Black shales: Natural gas AND uranium!

Unread postby copious.abundance » Mon 08 Feb 2010, 21:53:34

This is an excerpt from a much longer - and quite interesting - article. The article is about uranium supplies but I found the black shale angle very interesting.

>>> LINK <<<
[...]

The Chattanooga shale in Tennessee contains a stratum, the Gassaway member, about 5 meters thick whose average content of uranium is about 70 grams per metric ton (Kerr, 1955). With a density of 2.5 metric tons per cubic meter, this would amount to about 175 grams of uranium per cubic meter, or to 875 grams per square meter for the total thickness of the member. Then for an area of a square mile the uranium content of this member would be 2.3 X 109 grams or 2300 metric tons. This does not sound impressive, and in fact, as compared with contents of the more familiar metallic ores, it is a trifling amount; nevertheless, the energy content of this member per square mile is equivalent to 30 billion barrels of oil, or to five East Texas oil fields. Uranium-rich black shales of Devonian-Mississippian age, which correlate with the Chattanooga, are widespread in the Mid-Continent area as well as in Tennessee and the neighboring states. In addition, the Sharon Springs member of the Pierre shale of Cretaceous age occurring in an extensive area of North and South Dakota east of the Black Hills is also rich in uranium. No attempt has been made to determine the amount of minable uranium which these shales must contain, but since their areal extent amounts to several hundred thousands of square miles, their uranium content would appear to be as much as several hundred million metric tons.

[...]

Abundance - what a concept! :-D
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Re: Black shales: Natural gas AND uranium!

Unread postby shortonsense » Mon 08 Feb 2010, 22:26:13

OilFinder2 wrote:This is an excerpt from a much longer - and quite interesting - article. The article is about uranium supplies but I found the black shale angle very interesting.

Hubbert did an assessment on the various shales and used them as a solution in the same paper where he invented the most recent peak oil era ( 3 Era's, Lesley was 1, Ickes was 2, Hubbert was 3 ). Its nice to know that even a half century ago, The King himself recognized abundance when he saw it! :lol:

shortonsense
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 08 Feb 2010, 22:29:29

You might also take note that this type of Uranium deposit can be harvested by well, you drill a series of wells and pump a solvent solution through the formation, pump it back out at the other well and process the solvent to extract the metallic Uranium. This type of solvent extraction mining is cheaper and cleaner by an order of magnitude or more than conventional mining.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby shortonsense » Mon 08 Feb 2010, 22:38:27

Tanada wrote:You might also take note that this type of Uranium deposit can be harvested by well, you drill a series of wells and pump a solvent solution through the formation, pump it back out at the other well and process the solvent to extract the metallic Uranium. This type of solvent extraction mining is cheaper and cleaner by an order of magnitude or more than conventional mining.

Excellent comment! So not only is there enough of this stuff to drown the world and US in energy, but we already know how to get it in a reasonable manner!

Now, if there wasn't so darn much oil and natural gas to get rid of first..... :( .( I'm serious...just because BAU is expected doesn't mean I have to be happy with such an outcome )
shortonsense
Permanently Banned

Unread postby sicophiliac » Mon 08 Feb 2010, 22:57:21

Sure there is potential energy there but can it be extracted at a net energy return? I would reason that it wouldn't take nearly 30 billion barrels of oil to extract 1 square miles worth of shale and likely not even a tiny fraction of that but am I overlooking something ? While we are on the nuclear bandwagon by the way has anybody here ever done any reading on the potential of thorium instead of uranium for a nuclear fuel ? Especially in breeder reactors or liquid floride reactors?
sicophiliac
Coal
Coal

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Mon 08 Feb 2010, 23:11:47

I'm sure those folks can't wait for that uranium to show up in their well water.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Mon 08 Feb 2010, 23:20:58

sicophiliac wrote:Sure there is potential energy there but can it be extracted at a net energy return? I would reason that it wouldn't take nearly 30 billion barrels of oil to extract 1 square miles worth of shale and likely not even a tiny fraction of that but am I overlooking something ? While we are on the nuclear bandwagon by the way has anybody here ever done any reading on the potential of thorium instead of uranium for a nuclear fuel ? Especially in breeder reactors or liquid floride reactors?

I think you're talking about EROEI http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EROEI and in this case it seems like a double-whammy, Uranium + Shale Gas?

The Uranium mining alone would offset the EROEI price for gas enormously if Uranium prices stay where they are now.
ColossalContrarian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby shortonsense » Mon 08 Feb 2010, 23:23:19

sicophiliac wrote:Sure there is potential energy there but can it be extracted at a net energy return?

Dear God please don't drag out another tired EROEI claim, pretty please? It certainly didn't stop Hubbert from drawing the graph I referenced above, and that guy had already forgotten more about energy by that time in his life than the combined total of what every hobbyist in this forum THINKS they know.

However, in the interest of scale, lets paraphrase Hubbert.

The Gassaway member of the Chattanooga shale in Tennessee ( 15' thick ) has a uranium content of 2300 metric tons per square mile. The energy content is 30 billion barrels equivalent. Per square mile.

What do you think....we mine a 15 foot thick shale seam for an entire years supply of global crude oil energy equivalent? That shale, by the way, is listed on Hubberts figure as covering near half the state of Tennessee. Tennessee is 40,000+ miles square, lets be generous and say the Gassaway member only covers 1/3 of it ( feel free to check the area for yourself, Hubberts original 1956 work, Fig 28 ) which is 13,000 square miles, or 13,000 years of oil supply.

And all we have to do is dig up Tennessee the same way we are already doing to Alberta!!! Have you ever SEEN most of Tennessee? Heck, I'm all for it!

sicophilliac wrote:While we are on the nuclear bandwagon by the way has anybody here ever done any reading on the potential of thorium instead of uranium for a nuclear fuel ? Especially in breeder reactors or liquid floride reactors?

Hubbert has some thorium figures in his original work, but concentrates on mostly the uranium component of the shales. He did quantify a huge thorium deposit in North Carolina...again...probably enough to replace all oil energy for a couple more millenia, if not more.

This abundance thing is getting out of CONTROL! :lol:
shortonsense
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Homesteader » Mon 08 Feb 2010, 23:23:54

So how is nuclear power production doing compared to the nuclear curve on Hubbert's graph? :?
"The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences…"
Sir Winston Churchill

Beliefs are what people fall back on when the facts make them uncomfortable.
Homesteader
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby shortonsense » Mon 08 Feb 2010, 23:28:19

PrestonSturges wrote:I'm sure those folks can't wait for that uranium to show up in their well water.

189 years of shale gas production and that claim sure hasn't showed up much yet. Maybe if we wait another couple centuries? :lol:
shortonsense
Permanently Banned

Unread postby shortonsense » Mon 08 Feb 2010, 23:30:07

Homesteader wrote:So how is nuclear power production doing compared to the nuclear curve on Hubbert's graph? :?

Apparently not very good.

We found so much more oil and gas than Hubbert ever imagined that its delayed the entire ramp up in nuclear energy! Can you imagine? The King must be rolling over in his grave, realizing how much he UNDERESTIMATED everything!
shortonsense
Permanently Banned

Unread postby copious.abundance » Mon 08 Feb 2010, 23:50:15

Just FYI, here is a map showing the approximate extent of the Chattanooga shale. Not too surpiringly, it goes right through Chattanooga. ;)

There are also several companies starting to poke some holes into this shale for its gas potential. I stumbled across this article when I was looking for any recent info on the gas results there.
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby shortonsense » Mon 08 Feb 2010, 23:52:05

OilFinder2 wrote:Just FYI, here is a map showing the approximate extent of the Chattanooga shale. Not too surpiringly, it goes right through Chattanooga. ;)
There are also several companies starting to poke some holes into this shale for its gas potential. I stumbled across this article when I was looking for any recent info on the gas results there.
Goodness!! Hubberts blob was bigger. Your blob might only contain 10,000 years of global oil energy supply!

OH NOES!! :lol: :lol:
shortonsense
Permanently Banned

Unread postby copious.abundance » Tue 09 Feb 2010, 00:02:44

shortonsense wrote:This abundance thing is getting out of CONTROL! :lol:

+1

Well I think it's time to put all this energy shortage silliness to rest. Here is our Bold, High-tech, Abundant future (sans the flying cars - but hey, you never know!). Powered by natural gas and nuclear (and even some oil, too, just for the heck of it). The sky is the limit!

:-D

copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Tue 09 Feb 2010, 01:50:57

It is important to remember that the nuclear power industry stalled because of political reasons, not economic ones.

Countries that created policy environments favoring nuclear power (France), have thriving nuclear power industries.

Countries that panicked after Three Mile Island (US), have stunted nuclear power industries.

If the US were serious about allowing nuclear power to flourish, dozens of plants would be built and economies of scale would drag down the costs of construction.

That's not to say that there aren't legitimate concerns over nuclear power (waste, safety, nuclear proliferation, etc.) but I think we need to realize that the problems with nuclear power are not about economics or EROEI.
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby NoWorries » Tue 09 Feb 2010, 07:36:19

Well it certainly looks like this shale oil discovery really is the "Find of the Century". This is bigger than cold fusion.
NoWorries
Peat
Peat

Unread postby oxj » Tue 09 Feb 2010, 09:10:27

Hunh. And to think that ORNL is in the middle of this. Who'd'ha' thunk?
oxj
Peat
Peat

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Tue 09 Feb 2010, 17:52:44

OilFinder2 wrote:Image

And one of the biggest US uranium deposits sits under Loudon County VA ($$$$ horse country)
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Tue 09 Feb 2010, 17:55:53

OilFinder2 wrote:
shortonsense wrote:This abundance thing is getting out of CONTROL! :lol:

WARNING
Future May not be available as shown
Future not available in parts of India, Africa, Central, and South America
Individual fates may vary

-MST3K
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Next