Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Artifi photosynth process could run your house on a water

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Artifi photosynth process could run your house on a water

Unread postby TheAntiDoomer » Fri 05 Mar 2010, 11:37:13

Artificial photosynthetic process could run your house on a bottle of water

http://www.ecofriend.org/entry/artifici ... -of-water/

After receiving $400 million in funding, ARPA-E’s first conference witnessed MIT chemist Dan Nocera proving that artificial photosynthesis could power an entire household using just sunlight and a bottle of water. Nocera has developed a special catalyst that splits water into its constituents that is hydrogen and oxygen, which can provide enough energy to run a house.
"The human ability to innovate out of a jam is profound.That’s why Darwin will always be right, and Malthus will always be wrong.” -K.R. Sridhar

Do I make you Corny? :)

"expect 8$ gas on 08/08/08" - Prognosticator
TheAntiDoomer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Artifi photosynth process could run your house on a water

Unread postby Bas » Fri 05 Mar 2010, 11:41:53

what's that odour? it smells like.......like.........I know what it is! it's horse manure!

AD, I do hope that you realize by posting this you also discredit things you post that might have a little more merit. Maybe you can come up with another (Better) source?

EDIT: maybe something like this?

(this article is more than a year and a half old, so you should wonder why we haven't heard more about it by now)
Bas

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 05 Mar 2010, 12:28:16

Just did a bit of a dig. Sun Catalytix is the company. Looks like they may have a fledgling idea, but the brakes slammed on for me when I read that cobalt is the key ingredient in the catalyst they are developing. They are making out cobalt is common when in fact it is far from it. I wonder if this has anything to do with the UN backed war over the worlds biggest cobalt fields in eastern Congo which just started last weekend?
I don't buy anything online and I don't have a science degree; thus my research capability isn't enough to make a proper appraisal.
Another alarm went off when on the 1st page on the link provided they can't work out the difference between $4 million and $400 million? Which was it?
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby mos6507 » Fri 05 Mar 2010, 15:02:06

SeaGypsy wrote:Just did a bit of a dig. Sun Catalytix is the company. Looks like they may have a fledgling idea, but the brakes slammed on for me when I read that cobalt is the key ingredient in the catalyst they are developing. They are making out cobalt is common when in fact it is far from it. I wonder if this has anything to do with the UN backed war over the worlds biggest cobalt fields in eastern Congo which just started last weekend?
I don't buy anything online and I don't have a science degree; thus my research capability isn't enough to make a proper appraisal.
Another alarm went off when on the 1st page on the link provided they can't work out the difference between $4 million and $400 million? Which was it?

if cobalt is so rare you wouldn't see them in commodity uses like laptop batteries. I don't think that's the issue, or at least it wouldn't be for some time (like the rare elements in LCD panels). The issue is the inefficiency of this process.
mos6507

Unread postby kpeavey » Sun 07 Mar 2010, 12:46:22

This is not and example of science saving the day. This is grasping at straws.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby gnm » Sun 07 Mar 2010, 12:58:13

Anyone read the article? It's laughable. Use MASSIVE EXPENSIVE SOLAR PV array to inefficiently produce hydrogen which I may add has all the usual issues with storage, transport etc.

:roll:

-G
gnm

Return to Energy Technology