Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The "onshoring" trend...

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

The "onshoring" trend...

Unread postby dinopello » Sun 14 Mar 2010, 11:26:57

I'm curious if this is really a trend.. So, I'll post any examples I find.

After a decade of rapid globalization, economists say companies are seeing disadvantages of offshore production, including shipping costs, complicated logistics, and quality issues. Political unrest and theft of intellectual property pose additional risks.

Caterpillar Inc. is considering relocating some heavy-equipment overseas production to a new U.S. plant, part of a growing movement among manufacturers to bring more operations back home

General Electric Co. said last June it would move production of some water heaters from China to its facility in Louisville, Ky., starting in 2011.

Last year, U.S. Block Windows Inc. purchased a company with a China-based molding operation. After studying logistics, which included shipping raw materials to China before finished products came back to the U.S, the company decided to move production from China to its headquarters in Pensacola, Fla.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: The "onshoring" trend...

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 15 Mar 2010, 05:50:09

Wow, how nice of them, American companies hiring some Americans for a change.

As for trend.. I have no idea. On its face, the whole business model of shipping raw materials from the US to the other side of the globe just so slave labor can make it into products, then ship it all back never made any sense to me.

Obviously this model has worked, since all the jobs are gone and as I look around my house I don't see one thing made in this country (except for the house, it's an older one so no toxic Chinese drywall here). But anyway, how is it that just now the logistics are too expensive? I thought production costs are lower than they've ever been. Fuel has climbed a bit, but a lot of container ships and whatnot are still idle and therefore costs should be suppressed.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby pablonite » Mon 15 Mar 2010, 11:48:19

Sixstrings wrote:But anyway, how is it that just now the logistics are too expensive? I thought production costs are lower than they've ever been. Fuel has climbed a bit, but a lot of container ships and whatnot are still idle and therefore costs should be suppressed.

Productivity? Even though unemployment is going through the roof in America, productivity is going up!

Those examples are all highly automated industries now. Not sure when the last time you walked through a modern manufacturing facility but people are few and far between. Sub assemblies can still be put together by hand in China or whatever but there are also bargains to be had for manufacturers in America right now, especially for a half government half corporate military industrial complex chimera like GE. Hard to say what's going on in China, could be other reasons.
pablonite
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 15 Mar 2010, 14:39:15

pablonite wrote:Those examples are all highly automated industries now. Not sure when the last time you walked through a modern manufacturing facility but people are few and far between. Sub assemblies can still be put together by hand in China or whatever but there are also bargains to be had for manufacturers in America right now, especially for a half government half corporate military industrial complex chimera like GE. Hard to say what's going on in China, could be other reasons.

Good point, manufacturing isn't the jobs-creator it used to be. I read an article on this problem a couple weeks ago, along the lines of how the real issue in the modern economy is that so freaking much production is concentrated in so few hands (thanks to automation, robotics, then add in all the outsourcing to offshore).

This over-productivity extends from manufacturing to the financial sector -- the article pointed out that there are many firms with less than a hundred employees making $100 million in profit per year. Obviously, the modern nature of work is just all out of whack -- it just doesn't take as many people for business to make big profits anymore.

Where this will eventually break down is that in the end they're just destroying their own customer base. In the case of financials, that's all rigged and faked and government-pumped anyway, but with manufacturing they do need people to actually buy physical product.

I think that even if we do have a couple lost decades of anemic jobless "recovery," we're going to have accept the fact of a permanently unemployed "middle" class.

Getting back to the OP, someone would have to come up with hard numbers before we could say whether this is a promising trend or just an anomaly. Personally, I don't see much hope with "onshoring." If logistics with Asia get expensive, don't forget there's the great NAFTA Superhighway -- it costs the same really to truck things in from Mexico as it does Alabama.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Return to North America Discussion