Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

John Michael Greer: The Archdruid Blog

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Re: Greer's Long Descent is getting Shorter

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 29 May 2015, 20:13:20

It's easy to have the conception of the world grinding to a halt when you live in a locale which is. More so when it's your entire country or region. Maybe more so for trackers of mainstream economic data. But easy to not note the improvements going on for many millions. There is an entirely different vibe in the developing world, forward looking & satisfied with far less than most westerners would get by with in their worst nightmares.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Ibon » Fri 29 May 2015, 20:39:21

SeaGypsy wrote: There is an entirely different vibe in the developing world, forward looking & satisfied with far less than most westerners would get by with in their worst nightmares.

Exactly. Every week or so I read these posts about how the US will survive peak oil so much better than the so called "3rd world". I don't even comment anymore.

Westerners worst nightmare is losing their perceived privilege.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 29 May 2015, 21:13:55

There are a whole bunch of assumptions caught up in that view, central to which is having first dibs on global resource allocations. This ignoring the fact of capitalism tending to direct resources at the base level where there is the most bang for the buck. Westerners despite self declared free marketeers are actually totally dependent on protectionism, because of the fact that people in the west expect a far higher standard of living for far less effort. This aside from the fact when you live in a country where the government does zero for people you live in a community in a way westerners can't generally fathom.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 29 May 2015, 21:22:54

that is so true. People in poor countries are so much more self-reliant especially in terms of expectations. This is evident from the network of self-reliance that exists in third world countries. This network could prove useful for some in these countries to stay afloat during the era of collapse. This is pretty much lacking in rich countries.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Lore » Fri 29 May 2015, 21:28:30

onlooker wrote:that is so true. People in poor countries are so much more self-reliant especially in terms of expectations. This is evident from the network of self-reliance that exists in third world countries. This network could prove useful for some in these countries to stay afloat during the era of collapse. This is pretty much lacking in rich countries.

In reality those in the third world are probably better prepared to survive a fast crash then those in the first.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 29 May 2015, 21:37:31

This makes me remember Orlov, who had direct experience of the collapse of Communism and how Russians adapted. He states that in the US we are so much less prepared to deal with this fast crash scenario.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 29 May 2015, 21:43:17

I am currently studying community services at university, talk about expectation vs sustainability! If I let on directly what I expect to come of the high falutin ethics of the community services sector in the long run I may become persona non grata. I advocate for a system more in common with the developing world, which the CS sector sees as retrograde, assuming a benevolent & beneficent government will always be there writing checks for 10s or 100s of thousands of bucks per annum per casualty, be they old or infirm or criminally incarcerated. The idea of this being a hugely inefficient system of care does not occur. The idea of a community dealing with it's own without or with minimum help is completely outside of mainstream community services agenda, whereas in the developing countries this is exactly the primary focus of community services organisations as a matter of necessity.

Orlov is a bit controversial around here, Onlooker, I like him though as much as a person as a writer, I have corresponded with him & he takes time to do so with many people around the world.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby ralfy » Fri 29 May 2015, 22:51:35

Indeed. I recall references to communities with small numbers of families, skills needed for sustainability and localization, and physical assets such as tools, arable land, and water.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 29 May 2015, 22:55:50

from where we came is maybe where we are returning
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 29 May 2015, 23:33:37

More realistically & importantly, where we are headed is likely best represented in some of India or Latin America's more affluent provinces. A big step down for the first world & a few steps up for most of humanity. Yanks might even be riding scooters in our lifetime.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby ennui2 » Sat 30 May 2015, 09:51:06

SeaGypsy wrote:aside from the fact when you live in a country where the government does zero for people you live in a community in a way westerners can't generally fathom.

You mean like machete massacres in Rwanda? I really don't think anyone contributing to this thread is qualified to wax philosophical about the cultural superiority of 3rd world community. It isn't necessarily the rustic fantasy you guys are making it out to be. You're all on the outside looking in, and most of this romanticizing is driven by guilt.

And for the record, I've watched The Power of Community. I get the selling point. I just think it smacks of "grass is greener on the other side" which never turns out to be true when you actually experience it.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 30 May 2015, 10:08:37

I think Sea is referring to a properly functioning community. I myself have no illusions that in the way we have evolved any type of society has been a paradise or is a paradise. But the take I get is that when a community is functioning optimally, people feel they have a common purpose and are linked by a set of beliefs and the expectation of mutual assistance for the benefit of everyone. When humans are helping each other that can be a boom to the entire community or society. The adage "United we stand, separate we fall" does on face value make sense. The problem is our dysfunctional evolution and our innate primitive negative impulses which can disrupt this potential harmony. Now, just because it is not easy to create this "community" does not mean we should not try.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: John Michael Greer: The Archdruid Blog

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 20 Aug 2022, 12:20:58

The Great Rehash, Part Two: The Future’s Cold Eyes

Greers latest proselytizing.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Open Topic Discussion