Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Comeback Country

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

The Comeback Country

Unread postby TheAntiDoomer » Mon 12 Apr 2010, 13:15:33

http://www.newsweek.com/id/236190

How America pulled itself back from the brink—and why it's destined to stay on top.
But the long-term decline of the U.S. economy has been greatly exaggerated. America is coming back stronger, better, and faster than nearly anyone expected—and faster than most of its international rivals. The Dow Jones industrial average, hovering near 11,000, is up 70 percent in the past 13 months, and auto sales in the first quarter were up 16 percent from 2009. The economy added 162,000 jobs in March, including 17,000 in manufacturing. The dollar has gained strength, and the U.S. is back to its familiar position of lapping Europe and Japan in growth. Among large economies, only China, India, and Brazil are growing more rapidly than the U.S.—and they're doing so off a much smaller base. If the U.S. economy grows at a 3.6 percent rate this year, as Macroeconomic Advisers projects, it'll create $513 billion in new economic activity—equal to the GDP of Indonesia.
"The human ability to innovate out of a jam is profound.That’s why Darwin will always be right, and Malthus will always be wrong.” -K.R. Sridhar

Do I make you Corny? :)

"expect 8$ gas on 08/08/08" - Prognosticator
TheAntiDoomer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: The Comeback Country

Unread postby misterno » Mon 12 Apr 2010, 13:40:10

I have bee saying that for years

As long as foreigners keep buying our debt and our banknotes, we will have no problem

If they stop buying the debt and interest rates tend to rise, government will print more money and buy the debt like they have been doing for decades

You have to understand the hunger for american dollar overseas especially in 3rd world countries. Once you realize that, you will understand that the US will print trillions and trillions of dollars and dollar will not lose value. Because there is no other country that is more secure in the eyes of the other countries.
misterno
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 12 Apr 2010, 13:59:04

Where are the JOBS?

Even liberals like Robert Reich are now admitting that millions of high-paying jobs are now gone forever........and while 40,000 temporary census positions were created last month by the Obama administration, they are still failing to create the high-paying permanent jobs that are needed. Get used to the 9-10% unemployment rate.

Leading dem Robert Reich says the jobs aren't coming back....ever

And, Reich also says, wages for those people who still have jobs are going down. Average US wages FELL in the last quarter.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mattduke » Mon 12 Apr 2010, 18:03:47

Ah, Newsweak.
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ian807 » Mon 12 Apr 2010, 18:30:07

Typical big media happytalk.

Newsweek's credibility is somewhere between zero and slime mold. Same for almost any "big media" TV or old media magazine outlet. Ownership is concentrated in about 6 holding companies (http://www.docstoc.com/docs/5785407/See-American-media-ownership-chart/) and you hear whatever they think will keep them and their buddies in power and/or what makes them more money. Truth is aired when coincidental or unavoidable.
ian807
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Buggy » Mon 12 Apr 2010, 22:05:59

This is very basic. USA will keep coming back from every recession because the super rich running the country since 1913 find new ways to plunder the world with brute force and threats of violence while its citizens believe it is all in the name of freedom. It is sad. "Here, have this bag of worthless paper, give us your oil and we won't obliterate you." It is absolutely nothing to cheer about.
"We have flown up our own collective numeric bung-hole."
James Howard Kunstler
Buggy
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby mos6507 » Mon 12 Apr 2010, 22:17:18

Buggy wrote:USA will keep coming back from every recession because the super rich...

So I take it you'd rather the US stayed down for the count?
mos6507

Unread postby Buggy » Mon 12 Apr 2010, 23:04:37

mos6507 wrote:
Buggy wrote:USA will keep coming back from every recession because the super rich...

Yes.
James Howard Kunstler
Buggy
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby mos6507 » Mon 12 Apr 2010, 23:07:24

Buggy wrote:
mos6507 wrote:

Yes.

If you live in the US, that's a rather, um, unusual attitude.
mos6507

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 13 Apr 2010, 00:14:52

Plantagenet wrote:Where are the JOBS?

Even liberals like Robert Reich are now admitting that millions of high-paying jobs are now gone forever........and while 40,000 temporary census positions were created last month by the Obama administration, they are still failing to create the high-paying permanent jobs that are needed. Get used to the 9-10% unemployment rate.

And, Reich also says, wages for those people who still have jobs are going down. Average US wages FELL in the last quarter.

Wow, Plant, that post sounds sort of liberal to me. Have you come to see the light?

(and you're correct, of course.. I'm just surprised, I thought you were further right in your opinions.. or maybe I'm getting forum alzheimers or something)
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby cipi604 » Tue 13 Apr 2010, 09:38:57

TheAntiDoomer wrote:http://www.newsweek.com/id/236190

[i][b]How America pulled itself back from the brink....The dollar has gained strength,..

Hhahahahahahhahahahaha ... omg... hahahahahhahahaha
let me have some air.... hahahhahahahahahhahaahahahahahaha

How stupid can you be?! Sorry... BUT HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE?!

Let me quote again
The dollar has gained strength,..

hahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahah
omg It's too much =)))))))))))))))))))))))))
cipi604
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Buggy » Tue 13 Apr 2010, 11:46:37

mos6507 wrote:
Buggy wrote:
mos6507 wrote:

Yes.

If you live in the US, that's a rather, um, unusual attitude.

America had a choice. Choose reality or fantasy. Very clearly, America has chosen to return to a world of fantasy, of perpetual growth, a never ending supply of money(debt) and ever increasing supplies of oil and other resources. The bubbles are all being reinflated which has assured much greater pain with the certainty of their popping once again. It would have been better to go down slowly.
James Howard Kunstler
Buggy
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Buggy » Tue 13 Apr 2010, 11:53:13

As for Newsweek, I lump them in with the rest of the MSM, to include CNN. Here is a nice article from a few years back from CNN.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/07/news/ec ... /index.htm

A clip for your reading pleasure:

Why oil won't hit $100
New production, new energy sources and some conservation could push down prices by 2010 - but don't expect $20 a barrel anytime soon.
By Steve Hargreaves, CNNMoney.com staff writer
August 7 2007: 1:17 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Despite oil's record high last week, forget about crude going to $100 a barrel.

Prices have already dropped about 7 percent since last week, and are likely to fall even more in the coming years.

Crude may not reach $100 a barrel, but don't look for $20 either.

That's the consensus of analysts, who say rising production, the advent of biofuels, and conservation measures will likely lead to lower oil prices by 2015.

But how much lower is subject to wide interpretations, and estimates rage from $20 to $60 a barrel.

The people I am listening to and the authors of the articles I subscribe to, while their timing may not be perfect, their precepts have been dead on target on the past 5 years. Why, after being enlightened and ditching the idiots of the MSM, would I start listening to them now??? They have been consistently wrong. This website needs a fantasy thread for crap like this Newsweek article.
Last edited by Buggy on Tue 13 Apr 2010, 12:09:33, edited 1 time in total.
James Howard Kunstler
Buggy
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby jbrovont » Tue 13 Apr 2010, 12:01:40

Bingo. A good metric might be (median income * number of jobs) and chart that over time (hmm maybe I'll do that and post it). Possibly drop job incomes outside 1 or 2 standard deviations. Graph that from say, 2000 to present and we might have a rough picture of how consumers are doing.

Plantagenet wrote:Where are the JOBS?

jbrovont
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Wed 21 Apr 2010, 10:56:18

Bingo. A good metric might be (median income * number of jobs) and chart that over time (hmm maybe I'll do that and post it). Possibly drop job incomes outside 1 or 2 standard deviations. Graph that from say, 2000 to present and we might have a rough picture of how consumers are doing.

That would be a great metric. Can you easily find figures for inflation adjusted, median income?
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Tue 27 Apr 2010, 20:48:37

Don't you just love Cornucopians? :twisted:
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Economics & Finance