Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Food inflation highest in 26 years, vegetables surge by 49%

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Food inflation highest in 26 years, vegetables surge by 49%

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 23 Apr 2010, 02:43:17

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Wholesale prices rose more than expected last month as food prices surged by the most in 26 years. But excluding food and energy, prices were nearly flat.

The Labor Department said the Producer Price Index rose by 0.7 percent in March, compared to analysts' forecasts of a 0.4 percent rise. A rise in gas prices also helped push up the index.

Still, there was little sign of budding inflation in the report. Excluding volatile food and energy costs, wholesale prices rose by 0.1 percent, matching analysts' expectations.

Food prices jumped by 2.4 percent in March, the most since January 1984. Vegetable prices soared by more than 49 percent, the most in 15 years. A cold snap wiped out much of Florida's tomato and other vegetable crops at the beginning of this year.

Gasoline prices rose 2.1 percent, the department said, the fifth rise in six months.

In the past year, wholesale prices are up 6 percent, with much of that increase driven by higher oil and other commodity prices. But the core index, which excludes food and energy, rose only 0.9 percent.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Wholesale-prices-rise-in-apf-299827519.html?x=0&.v=4

Yikes, I didn't realize veggies had gone up that much. Though on my last shopping trip I did notice a small box of grape tomatoes was $5, which seemed high. I think I paid like $2.50 for four crappy roma tomatoes. And all the store's produce was bad quality.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Food inflation highest in 26 years, vegetables surge by

Unread postby MarkJ » Sun 25 Apr 2010, 07:55:28

Beefsteak tomatoes from Canada are $1.59 a pound locally.

Tomato lovers can rejoice

Crops in south Florida are coming along, and other tomato growers in northern Florida, south Georgia and elsewhere should be just about on schedule, according to Bonanno.

"We're in a matter of weeks going to be in a tomato glut," he said.

http://www.masslive.com/hampfrank/repub ... xml&coll=1
MarkJ
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby JJ » Sun 25 Apr 2010, 16:53:47

seems like two years ago they were .30 a pound
JJ
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby JimG » Sun 25 Apr 2010, 18:04:42

Mmm...vegetables. Do some real gardening homework - get off your couch, kill your television, grow your own vegetables/ fruit, and at least that problem is solved.
Jim G.
JimG
Peat
Peat

Unread postby JJ » Sun 25 Apr 2010, 20:42:27

I think quite a few people on this forum do....:)
JJ
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Sun 25 Apr 2010, 20:45:53

I find my television time doesn't interfere with my gardening time at all. I can't garden at night. :)

No need to "kill the TV."
Ludi

Unread postby PeakOiler » Tue 27 Apr 2010, 13:47:04

JJ wrote:
seems like two years ago they were .30 a pound

I need to update the prices of fruits/veggies/nuts in my Garden Logbook 2010. I started my garden logbooks in 2007 and it's interesting to see what prices were then compared with today's. Some veggie prices have not changed too much. Fresh green beans were $1.29/lb in 2007 and fresh carrots are still about the same. Pinto beans were $0.69/lb in 2008. Tomatoes, on the other hand, were $1.49/lb in 2007.

Fresh pomegranate were $5.99 per fruit last Fall. :shock:
There’s a strange irony related to this subject [oil and gas extraction] that the better you do the job at exploiting this oil and gas, the sooner it is gone.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Tue 27 Apr 2010, 20:06:19

You don't hear about it when commodity prices fall, just scare stories when they spike. During the big southeast drought in the US a couple years ago, there was nothing in the markets. Last year was the first time in several years that produce was abundant. This year, the vegetable flats are in shortly because of the harsh winter. Greenhouse tomatoes last year suffered from a nasty blight that swept the industry.

My little garden is benefiting from infusions of leaf compost. If I was growing worms, it would be harvest time right now.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Tue 27 Apr 2010, 21:01:35

PrestonSturges wrote: If I was growing worms, it would be harvest time right now.

You can eat them, but they taste like worms. (really, they do) :)
Ludi

Return to Economics & Finance