Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

"The Peak of Oil production has passed"

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

"The Peak of Oil production has passed"

Unread postby KevO » Mon 03 May 2010, 09:29:50

We can no longer afford to sit around discussing whether or not we have passed the peak of oil production. We cannot wait, complacently, for price signals to stimulate the development of alternative sources of energy since oil prices will fluctuate wildly. Every time the economy tries to grow, oil demand will exceed supply, causing the oil price to spike up. This will strangle the economy, reduce oil demand and cause the price to fall. Oil companies cannot invest in the face of these wild fluctuations in price. Most importantly, we must remember that to do anything at all requires energy. So, while oil is still relatively abundant, we must invest as much as we can to develop the energy sources of the future. Once the oil supply starts to decrease significantly, we will be too busy just trying to keep food production and essential services running to have any energy left over for building expensive high-tech alternative energy infrastructure.

The peak of oil production was two years ago. For the sake of my children, and your children, we need to just accept that fact and deal with it. When it comes to investing in energy alternatives, do it now, because it will not be possible later.

full and interesting article at
http://www.energybulletin.net/52667
KevO
Expert
Expert

Re: "The Peak of Oil production has passed"

Unread postby XOVERX » Sun 16 May 2010, 22:14:29

The key point is that civilization cannot wait for the "invisible hand" of capitalism to work its magic.

The central problem of capitalism is that, at its heart, it is a reactive system, not a proactive system. It takes time for markets to react to changing inputs. Capitalism rarely plans for the long-term future.

Another word to describe capitalism's beating heart is "greed." Money today, production today, resource exploitation today -- to hell with tomorrow, let tomorrow take care of itself.

Take away growing oil production and you take away the single critical element of the primary economy that, largely unnoticed until recent times, has (literally) fueled the engines of capitalism. Try shoveling coal or wood in your car's engine and see how fast you go.

If the world waits for price mechanisms to stimulate sufficient economic activity with respect to alternative energy sources, it may well be too late.

It may be too late because there may not be enough oil to sustain current population and develop alternative energy simultaneously. Especially as the economy undulates between downturn and fizzling "recovery".

Fizzling recovery because capitalism depends upon eternal growth in order to work, and growth depends upon growing energy sources.

Due to depletion, oil production is done growing, for now and for centuries and for eons to come, and will not resume growing again until about, oh, 30 million years or so. Therefore, oil will no longer be the energy springboard for economic growth -- its demand will overwhelm its supply.

In short, insufficient oil supplies means economic chaos. Economic chaos means political instability. Political instability usually means war and death.

I mean, the US uses 20 million barrels a day (more when we're not in an economic downturn), and the world uses around 86 mbpd.

During times of growing energy supplies, capitalism works wondrously well. During times of energy contraction, well, we are witnessing the failure of capitalism each and every day that passes.

Thus is the achilles heel of capitalism looming, threatening to crush the life out of civilization as we have known it.
XOVERX
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sun 16 May 2010, 23:12:41

XOVERX wrote:The key point is that civilization cannot wait for the "invisible hand" of capitalism to work its magic.

The central problem of capitalism is that, at its heart, it is a reactive system, not a proactive system. It takes time for markets to react to changing inputs. Capitalism rarely plans for the long-term future.

Economic central planning is a disaster -- read up on the Soviet Union, Cuba, and pre-capitalist China. I would also point out that evolution is another reactive system -- and that's worked out pretty well for what, 3.5 billion years now?

Another word to describe capitalism's beating heart is "greed." Money today, production today, resource exploitation today -- to hell with tomorrow, let tomorrow take care of itself.

In general, there's lots to hate about capitalism but the alternative is a lot worse. Communism has a much shorter lifespan, we've seen that proven over and over within our own lifetime.

Other than resource depletion, my biggest concern about capitalism is that I think we're reaching the upper limits of sustainable productivity. What I mean by that is because of automation and tech advances, productivity is so high now that we no longer have enough jobs to employ everyone. This will only get worse, and it's going to be a problem because pure capitalism is not designed to sustain too many people only consuming without producing. People need a job to be able to afford what this highly productive system produces -- there's a point at which you put too many of your own customers out of work, and then it all falls apart.

As for resource depletion, well that's the million dollar question eh? Will they "think of something" or not. I tend to be a doomer, but to me doom doesn't mean mad max and extinction -- it just means some really nasty living conditions for a generation, maybe even a few generations (heck, the dark ages lasted a few centuries don't forget, but it wasn't the death of capitalism and civilization, just a reset).

So while I'm mostly a doomer, I can't deny that history shows "they" really have "thought of something" over and over again. I have an antique newspaper I bought at a yardsale a few years ago. It's from 1926. Guess what one of the articles is about? Peak oil. They don't use that phrase of course, the headline is something like "oil men fear the oil will run out." The article mostly goes into how the Germans were making gasoline from coal and such. It all sounds silly now, since in hindsight we know that they did "think of something" -- they developed tanker ships, they drilled in the Middle East and everywhere else, and they drilled at sea. All these were unimaginable in 1926.

Now I know I'm sounding like a cornie again, and I do hate that, I'm just always trying to be a realist about these issues. Just imagine you were one of those folks in 1926 who were worried about "the oil running out." In retrospect, all that worry would have been wasted energy, no?

Take away growing oil production and you take away the single critical element of the primary economy that, largely unnoticed until recent times, has (literally) fueled the engines of capitalism. Try shoveling coal or wood in your car's engine and see how fast you go.

That's true. But again, if you take a look at history you'll find countless examples of technology saving the day. I was just watching a show tonight about Carnegie.. he was the first in the world to mass produce steal, after discovering the new technique from a bullet maker in Ireland. Up until Carnegie, steal had been a rare and expensive metal.

If the world waits for price mechanisms to stimulate sufficient economic activity with respect to alternative energy sources, it may well be too late.

Well, what do you mean by "too late?" Too late for whom? If you mean "too late" for most people, I can agree with that. But if your'e saying capitalism will die out, and all civilization around the world will die out for all time, then I don't agree. It could be like the mass die off just before the Renaissance, wherein those left standing will actually be better off in terms of wealth and health than ever before.

Fizzling recovery because capitalism depends upon eternal growth in order to work, and growth depends upon growing energy sources.

You're right about that.. long term, we either have to expand into space or we need a die off. There is one other possibility, and that is that population just might stabilize. Data shows that as people get wealthier, they have fewer children. And when the problem becomes dire enough, government can step in as well -- China has stabilized its population with the one child policy, after all.

In short, insufficient oil supplies means economic chaos. Economic chaos means political instability. Political instability usually means war and death.

That's all true. But that's all been happening now for thousands of years -- what were you expecting, the good times would just continue on forever and ever? Nope, it doesn't work that way. Civilization ebbs and flows in cycles. I guess the whole doomer movement is just about coming to terms with the reality that those born after WWII were not born into some kind of new utopia -- of course there will be chaos in the future, how can you read history and somehow think things are different now?

During times of energy contraction, well, we are witnessing the failure of capitalism each and every day that passes.

I think that remains to be seen. Trust me, I want to be 100% doomer like you. Although more and more I question what "doom" even means, is it just a bunch of first worlders worrying about being impoverished one day? But that's off track.. I know this post sounds cornucopian, but these are the doubts I struggle with regarding the peak oil doom scenarios.

Thus is the achilles heel of capitalism looming, threatening to crush the life out of civilization as we have known it.

Well, so what? Civilization has collapsed before, it's never died out all over the world at the same time, and it's always bounced back. Expect more of the same, for as long as humans have human nature.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby shortonsense » Sun 16 May 2010, 23:21:13

KevO wrote:full and interesting article at
http://www.energybulletin.net/52667

Seemed pretty milquetoast to me. Gee....peak oil happened already....like everyone in this forum doesn't already know THAT particular little factoid.
shortonsense
Permanently Banned

Unread postby shortonsense » Sun 16 May 2010, 23:27:28

XOVERX wrote:Due to depletion, oil production is done growing, for now and for centuries and for eons to come, and will not resume growing again until about, oh, 30 million years or so. Therefore, oil will no longer be the energy springboard for economic growth -- its demand will overwhelm its supply.

Good thing peak oil didn't cause insufficient oil supplies. Are you really going to try and recycle this silliness again? Savinar wrote an entire BOOK about alleged and hysterical connections between peak oil (the most recent one of course) and nukes being used on suburbia.

Guess what? We had peak oil....several times...and nobody has nuked anyone because of ANY of them. And "due to oil depletion", the start date of which was arguably 1859, isn't any more causally related to economic chaos than idiots signing mortgages they can't afford.
shortonsense
Permanently Banned

Unread postby XOVERX » Sun 16 May 2010, 23:41:48

You are exactly correct, sixstrings. I do think it is time for central planning. Better exceedingly poor central planning than utter chaos brought on by the unavailability of sufficient energy to drive our highly complex civilization.

But by whom?

Some hereditary despot? Some king? Some general?

Would we get Pericles? Or Pol Pot?

I guess the planner will have to be a democratically elected President. Of course, that will never work either, without a complete overhaul of "rule by the minority."

We're screwed.

Hopefully your faith in technology pans out and the world gets bailed out of this mess by "science," and "space" -- maybe even Ray Kurzweil's nanotechnology. Because it's looking more and more like peak oil is in the rearview mirror. Which is the point of my original comment: More and more mainstream people are concluding that oil depletion is going to be a big problem real soon.

As for your attitude of "so what if civilization collapses", well, that's not very nice of you, is it sixstrings? Keep in mind, prior collapses did not involve billions and billions of people. Not even Diamond has a roadmap for a collapse caused by oil (though he does a pretty good job with collapse caused by wood).

BTW, I do not accept your implied assertion (or von Hayek's explicit thesis in The Road to Serfdom) that central planning is always poor, always bad, bad, bad. Look what America accomplished with central planning in World War II, the Marshall Plan, and, to a lesser extent, going to the moon.

Gee, shortonsense, don't go south on us now. Get a grip, man. Calm down.

You seriously see no correlation between cheaply abundant energy and economic growth? Seriously? You seriously think we can maintain billions of people at even current levels of civilization if, in 2030, the world has the oil output of that in 1930?

IMO, the best quote of the entire article is this tongue-in-cheek comment: "That's why the First Law of Economics states that for every economist there exists an equal and opposite economist." Which just goes to show Dr. Lardelli is a comic at heart.

Onward into the fog.
XOVERX
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 17 May 2010, 00:36:38

XOVERX wrote:You are exactly correct, sixstrings. I do think it is time for central planning. Better exceedingly poor central planning than utter chaos brought on by the unavailability of sufficient energy to drive our highly complex civilization.

But by whom?

Some hereditary despot? Some king? Some general?

Would we get Pericles? Or Pol Pot?

Well.. the problem isn't that the central planners were never "good enough." It's just that central planning is inherently inefficient. Free market capitalism utilizes the brain power of the entire population to adapt to changing conditions. Under capitalism, a shop owner can react almost instantly to changing market conditions. If the business cannot adapt, then it dies and someone who can adapt will take its place (or not, if there's no longer demand for a shop on that particular street).

Under communist central planning, the shops were all planned out ahead of time in government "ten year plans." When conditions change, the shopkeepers don't adapt at all because they don't have to make a profit in the first place, and so nothing ever changes unless the politburu ever gets around to it with a new "ten year plan."

Unless your faith in technology pans out and the world gets bailed out of this mess. Because it's looking more and more like peak oil is in the rearview mirror.

Well, it's certain that "business as usual" will NOT continue. The world doesn't have enough resources for the Chinese and Indians to live like Americans. The upshot of that is that the living standards of Europe and the US are going to get averaged out with Chindia's 2 billion. And so, a lot of us and our descendants are going to be much poorer in the future. Automation and ever-increasing productivity is also to blame here, it's not all the fault of cheap Asian labor.

So to sum up, tech will not save all of us but it may save some of us.

As for your attitude of "so what if civilization collapses", well, that's not very nice of you, is it?

I've made the point before about Europeans being better off after the plagues of the dark ages. There was so much empty land, many former peasants left their feudal bondage and took over farms of their own. With less people, there was more food to go around and overall sanitation improved too.

I don't like to say die off is a good thing, because of course that's terrible. So we really need to find some way of reducing the world's population through encouraging birth control, or even a one child policy. Though this isn't going to happen since we don't have one world government, democratic firstworlders wouldn't go for it, and most governments don't even have that level of control over their population anyway.

But if we don't find a way get our population into decline, then nature will -- either through plague or famine. As for civilization collapsing, I guess maybe doom just doesn't scare me anymore. Rome had its peak, Britain had its peak, the US has had its peak -- it's just the course of history, this is how it goes.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby americandream » Mon 17 May 2010, 00:55:15

Sixstrings

We know that enhancing drugs improve an athletes efficiency many fold and yet we regulate them. Why? For the obvious unfairness aspect as well as the athletes personal health.

Encouraging folks to act in furtherance of their personal interest similarly impacts on our world, in terms of its impacts on fellow species and the health of our species. The personal is measured in terms of a lifetime and not in the inter-generational as characterised by the collective and the hardly surprisingly is felt in environmental degradation and the risk of planet wide trauma. You get what you buy.

In essence we have two choices as a species.

Advance the personal, engage in forms of human endeavour and consumption that are admittedly productive yet measured in a lifetime and live (or die) with the outcomes OR:

Advance the community with its forms of moderated human outcomes measured over generations.

I guess we have the choice of moderating our expectations in pursuit of more measured outcomes or engaging in more dynamic but personal modes with all the risks those carry. The choice is that simple.

It's up to us as a species to make the choice and deploy the necessary structures for administering whatever model we choose.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby mcgowanjm » Mon 17 May 2010, 09:12:15

The term, 'Live like Americans' I've seen
repeatedly.

With Communism the only Alt.

And there have been 25 Civilizations.

To combine:

Only the Top 10% of Americans live like 'Americans'
taking 83 % of every $ income.

While the Top 1% live like Kings.

We eliminate debt and we free up approx 83 % of
every $.

Collapse is Economizing. The problem is that
the Top 1-10% don't want to go quietly into
that good night. :twisted: 8O :roll: 8)

America can live on 5 MBPD.

We are the Saudis in terms of efficiencies that
can be gained.

Increasing Complexities which merely cover the original
'problem' are now exposed with 'no growth' energy
supply.

Demand must be crushed and is as we speak.
mcgowanjm
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Mon 17 May 2010, 11:12:39

So, yea, maxed out on light/sweet or easy/conventional or whatever maybe but I'm not sure we are peaked out on liquids and in fact I'm not sure the absolute number matters as much as we make it out. Here is a graph from Stuart Staniford at his blog, [url]Early Warning[/url]:

The thing is, we've never been to the plateau before - at least not with such an interconnected, global economy. Within two months of the biggest oil consumer in the world (the US Military) mumbling about supply problems on the horizon, the US dollar price of oil dropped 16% - not because of anything to do with geology but because of speculative investment.

From Dave Cohen's Blog / WSJ

On the plateau, oil is priced on the margin so a little 3% up or down demand change translates to a 30% change in price because everyone from governments down to retail investors will try to make or save a buck. Or maybe it doesn't because the heard mentality says "put all your money into Dollars instead of commodities".

PO will be an economic sniper that takes out one little, seemingly, random piece of the economy at a time, while the other parts go blithely along.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Return to Peak Oil Discussion