Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Jobless Claims Worse Than Expected

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Jobless Claims Worse Than Expected

Unread postby Cyrus » Thu 20 May 2010, 11:25:05

An already jittery stock market wasn’t helped by the latest reading on weekly jobless claims, which came in much worse than expected.

The Labor Department said Thursday that initial claims for unemployment benefits jumped by 25,000 to 471,000 for the week ended May 15. The results were not only in contrast to the decline of 4,000 that was estimated by economists, but were also a disappointment in light of recent gains made on the employment front.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/jobless-claims-climb-/
Cyrus
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Jobless Claims Worse Than Expected

Unread postby Pops » Thu 20 May 2010, 11:56:10

I like this guy Despite a 24/7 campaign of carefully managed "good news," 76% of Americans do not believe the U.S. "recovery." Hmm, I wonder why?

The same thing was happening before the "Unforeseeable" recession, J6p had started pulling back way before the boy geniuses on the trading floors got a clue, unfortunately Joe doesn't have a super-computer at his disposal so as usual it was his tit caught in the wringer.

But crap, this is just me being foolish and naive again, no one gives a rip about "The Economy" beyond today's profit.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Livewire713 » Thu 20 May 2010, 13:50:44

Thats funny, my benefits just ran out so I figured the number would be going down.
Livewire713
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Buggy » Thu 20 May 2010, 19:17:15

I am curious to see how our fine government analysts are going to "correct" the jobs numbers with the Census just ending. How many more will be unemployed? I imagine a lot of breathing folks will be recorded as dead to adjust the birth-death model. Or would that be a lot of dead folks suddenly breathing???
"We have flown up our own collective numeric bung-hole."
James Howard Kunstler
Buggy
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby truecougarblue » Thu 20 May 2010, 20:53:03

Birth/death isn't people, it is small businesses that fall outside normal reporting. I'm not saying they don't cook the books using that number, just that it is important to understand what it really is.
Cougar

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." - Brigham Young
truecougarblue
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Buggy » Thu 20 May 2010, 23:02:40

truecougarblue wrote:Birth/death isn't people, it is small businesses that fall outside normal reporting. I'm not saying they don't cook the books using that number, just that it is important to understand what it really is.

Thanks. I had no idea.
"We have flown up our own collective numeric bung-hole."
James Howard Kunstler
Buggy
Lignite
Lignite

Return to Economics & Finance