Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Now Hiring: Fake Executives in China. No Experience Required

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Now Hiring: Fake Executives in China. No Experience Required

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 18 Jun 2010, 19:31:56

If you're a white guy in China and you own a suit — Congratulations! You're hired.

There’s an odd trend brewing there, where companies hire fake executives from the U.S. and other Western nations to attend events, give speeches and generally just to give that appearance in the community and in the business world of that connection with the western world.

“I think it says a lot about the business culture here,” said Mitch Moxley, a freelance writer living in Beijing who was hired to be a fake businessman for a high-tech company building a factory in Dongying, five hours south of Beijing. “Face is hugely important in China, and having foreigners in suits I guess gives some credibility to the companies. You’d be amazed how often this happens.”

Moxley said he, along with five other guys, was hired to be a “quality-control expert” for $1,000 a week, though it was made clear to him at the time of hiring that they wouldn’t be doing any quality control.

The job would entail attending some dinners, going to a ceremony and touring the factory once a day. The rest of the time, he and the other “executives” sat in fly-ridden office, where they slept, read magazines and joked around.

Moxley remembers the first time he visited the building site, he asked a foreman: Who's in charge here? The foreman replied, “You are.” In fact, they picked the eldest-looking of the fake executives, Ernie, and put him in charge. He even had to give a speech.

“After our company ‘director’ finished his speech and was posing for a photo with the mayor, I remember having this ‘I can’t believe they bought that’ sense of accomplishment – like a teenager who successfully lies to his parents about smoking,” Moxley said. “It was pretty funny.”
http://www.cnbc.com/id/37759560/

Lol, they've figured out how to outsource executives! It's really brilliant, why pay a "real" American executive millions of bucks when you can just rent some random out of work American dude who happens to own a suit. Heck, hire a bunch of them and whoever has the most gray hair is the "CEO."

I like the part where in between fancy dinners and speeches they keep the fake executives cooped up in a "fly ridden" dirty office, lol.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Economics & Finance