Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Solar, wind power may meet 2020 energy use

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Unread postby Graeme » Mon 21 Jun 2010, 18:06:43

A MASSIVE introduction of solar-thermal power plants and wind farms would allow Australia to generate all its energy needs from renewable technologies by 2020, research shows.

The report, to be announced today by the retiring Liberal Victorian senator Judith Troeth, the Greens senator Christine Milne and the Independent Nick Xenophon, finds a 100 per cent renewable plan by 2020 would cost $37 billion a year, in public and private money - or 3 per cent of Gross Domestic Product.

The report is the result of a research collaboration between an environment group, Beyond Zero Emissions, and Melbourne University's Energy Research Institute, with input from engineering firm Sinclair Knight Merz.

Zero Carbon Australia Stationary Energy Plan analyses the best technical approach to reach 100 per cent renewable energy production by 2020.

Beyond Zero Emission's director, Matthew Wright, said yesterday the report only included commercially proven technologies, and therefore did not consider geothermal or wave power.

Under the plan 60 per cent of energy would come from base load solar-thermal plants built at 12 sites. The other 40 per cent would be generated by wind energy, with 8000 six-megawatt turbines at 23 sites.

smh
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Solar, wind power may meet 2020 energy use

Unread postby americandream » Mon 21 Jun 2010, 22:46:45

You still haven't answered my question posted ages ago in another thread about whether a closed energy loop would render all of capitalism sufficently self contained to declare it sustainable long term? After all, Peak Oil contemplates full spectrum limits whereas your postings posit isolated remedies, not a systemic one. One that basis, it seems we would simply take longer to crash or the singularity would rise to the rescue. Which is it Graeme and if it is the singularity, please explain with references.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Graeme » Tue 22 Jun 2010, 00:24:11

AD, I think you would agree that if we use 100% solar and wind energy to supply our electricity, then this would be sustainable as far as our energy use is concerned because by definition they are both renewable.

The economic side is more difficult to achieve (e.g. new legislation and business practises required) and it is an area where I have little expertise but some interest. I do think that it would involve some form of sustainable capitalism, also known as steady- state capitalism. I have posted several articles on this subject in the Economics and Finance Forum under the thread title "Fiscal Sustainability News". I posted one thread in the Book/MediaReviews Forum about this book "Surviving Beyond Sustainability". For some background information, I would suggest reading the Wiki article on sustainable development. There are good references and links at the bottom of the Wiki page. It gets complicated because sustainability involves environmental, social and economic aspects. Tyler_JC may have some expertise in this area. You could ask him.
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby eclipse » Fri 27 Aug 2010, 06:36:05

For Aussies, environmental scientists and climate change author Professor Barry Brook has debunked this Australian renewable energy plan here.

http://bravenewclimate.com/2010/08/12/zca2020-critique/

It's a fairly long and involved critique.

The boring old problems of intermittency etc still remain.

GenIII and GenIV nukes are the only way to go.
Dr James Hansen recommends breeder reactors that convert nuclear 'waste' into 1000 years of clean energy for America, and can charge all our light vehicles and generate "Blue Crude" for heavy vehicles.
https://eclipsenow.wordpress.com/recharge/
eclipse
Coal
Coal

Unread postby dsula » Fri 27 Aug 2010, 06:58:17

pstarr wrote:
americandream wrote:You still haven't answered my question posted ages ago in another thread about whether a closed energy loop would render all of capitalism sufficently self contained to declare it sustainable long term? After all, Peak Oil contemplates full spectrum limits whereas your postings posit isolated remedies, not a systemic one. One that basis, it seems we would simply take longer to crash or the singularity would rise to the rescue. Which is it Graeme and if it is the singularity, please explain with references.
He has no idea what you are talking about. I am not sure I do either :)

No really. I think I do. Capitalism requires growth. But does Communism avoid it?

Everything and all wants growth. Everyone takes a bigger paycheck, every king wants more power, every company more business, every organism more food, more breeding, more of everything. Such is boom and bust of nature. And it's good. Nothing more booring than a steady state of same old plain vanilla sh*t all the time. Shaking it up gives chances to other groups, other people other organisms. Everytime a tree falls in the forrest it gives opportunity for new ones to rise.
americandream's communist utopia must be boring as hell. Never a change, never even hope for change. SHUDDER!
dsula
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby eclipse » Sat 28 Aug 2010, 07:18:57

Australian of the year and business entrepreneur has adopted the age old puzzle of population.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/populationpuzzle/index.html

He has put down an offer of $1 million to the young Australian (under 30) who solves it, and can also solve the problem of acquiring a steady state economy. It was a brilliant analysis. 9/10, with 1 point deducted for not mentioning peak oil or doing the Albert Bartlett exponential math thing. But it didn't have time to cover these 'little' details, everyone knows 'more' is bad for the environment.

Check it out... the move is free online.
Dr James Hansen recommends breeder reactors that convert nuclear 'waste' into 1000 years of clean energy for America, and can charge all our light vehicles and generate "Blue Crude" for heavy vehicles.
https://eclipsenow.wordpress.com/recharge/
eclipse
Coal
Coal

Return to Australia & New Zealand Discussion