Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Greater Recession vs. Peak Oil (merged)

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

What scares you more?

The Great Recession
50%
Peak Oil
36%
"You're gunna need a bigger boat..."
14%

Total votes : 14

The Greater Recession vs. Peak Oil (merged)

Unread postby KevO » Tue 17 Nov 2009, 13:41:41

so say the E&P
Was the current recession the result of a normal business cycle? If so, life will return to normal as asset and commodity bubbles are squeezed out of the economy.

The price of oil will remain manageable, US consumers will begin looking for ever more powerful SUVs, and governments can afford to ignore fossil fuels in formulating policy.

Or was the recession primarily a consequence of peak oil? If it was the latter, the world is on notice that oil has entered its twilight years and fundamentally new approaches to transportation will be required to maintain accustomed standards of living.

In the absence of new solutions in the short to medium term, periods of prosperity will likely be punctuated by recurring oil price shocks and painful recessions as the world adjusts to a shortage of oil.

The dominant view is that this recession was caused primarily by a housing price bubble tied to excess leverage. When the bubble popped, mortgage quality deteriorated, leading ultimately to a banking crisis unparalleled since the Great Depression.

Analysis by economist James Hamilton, however, tends to support a more nuanced view. Hamilton, well known for his macroeconomic analysis of oil markets, can attribute a substantial portion of the current recession to oil prices. In August 2008, oil prices could explain the entire downturn. Subsequently, oil prices would have led to a shallow recession, but clearly other factors — possibly the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers — look to have deepened and possibly prolonged the recession. In many ways, this recession, like many before, can be attributed at least in part to oil prices.

But was it a peak oil recession or merely a boom-bust cycle seen so many times before in the oil and gas industry?
Article with charts

and for the record, I always sais it would be and was and is and will forever be, because of peak energy :razz:
KevO
Expert
Expert

Re: The recession due to PEAK OIL not housing

Unread postby Jotapay » Tue 17 Nov 2009, 13:59:18

It's always been my opinion that oil at $80/barrel killed the housing bubble.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Armageddon » Tue 17 Nov 2009, 14:50:27

Cheap money caused the bubble. It was orchestrated on purpose to create one final bubble before they cashed out.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 17 Nov 2009, 15:03:05

Armageddon wrote:It was orchestrated on purpose to create one final bubble before they cashed out.

And how do you know?
mos6507

Unread postby Armageddon » Tue 17 Nov 2009, 15:07:59

pstarr wrote:
Armageddon wrote:Cheap money caused the bubble. It was orchestrated on purpose to create one final bubble before they cashed out.
Cashed out to where?

25 trillion in bailouts, plus the billions/trillions they made packaging and selling these toxic loans to the world. They raped the system.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Tue 17 Nov 2009, 15:23:25

Armageddon wrote: They raped the system.

The system was asking for it ! :shock:
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Armageddon » Tue 17 Nov 2009, 15:28:16

pstarr wrote:
Armageddon wrote:
pstarr wrote:
Armageddon wrote:Cheap money caused the bubble. It was orchestrated on purpose to create one final bubble before they cashed out.
Cashed out to where?

25 trillion in bailouts, plus the billions/trillions they made packaging and selling these toxic loans to the world. They raped the system.
I agree that they raped the system. They played a crisis perfectly.

But you haven't explained why they chose this moment to rape the system. And what expect to gain from it this particular time: i.e. where and what do they do with their wealth in a broken world-wide financial system? What country is immune from what is going on?

They have bought hard assets with their money. Why now ? PO was going to crash the system, so they wanted to rape it before it crashed. This way , it was on their time. The NWO is going as planned.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Carlhole » Tue 17 Nov 2009, 15:30:44

The world is swimming in $60 - 80 oil. Most of that surge can be attributed to the weakening dollar - which everyone in the world MUST own.

I think that the dollar is being used to coordinate the equalization of Western and Eastern economies (Americans' spending power and standard of living diminishes while Asians see their economic prospects rise).

Investment banking geniuses created derivative mortgage-backed securities which were sold en masse for years to foreign banks throughout the world. Without a doubt, this had the effect of hauling the rest of the world onto the Titanic of the American debt-laden economy.

Thus, no matter what happens to the dollar, it doesn't matter - because all foreign entities must own them (not just America). The global economy will keep on keeping on simply because everyone HAS to trust the dollar as the currency instrument used in this vast global equalization project.

As the dollar weakens further, the vast holdings of the Chinese diminish along with everyone else's (including America's dollar interests). This gives China a huge stake in what happens to America economically. And America likewise has a huge stake in China's economic growth. The two economies are now virtually joined at the hip. Balancing and smoothing this wrenching economic change is what the Fed is trying to accomplish.

Was this all planned? Sh*t I don't know. But it sure seems like a natural organic process as the world becomes unified into a standard economy. People like Alex Jones rave about the "One-World Government" and all that. But really, what has driven this process has been the communications revolution, enabling the instantaneous transfer of funds worldwide and the advent of a global internet/global economy. The imperatives of multi-nationals corporations were equally significant.

The end of the housing bubble and the flood of money into commodities in 2008 has to be viewed in this broad global equalization context. Oil has indeed become more expensive due to the increasing difficulty in finding and producing it. Oil production has also suffered from a decade or more of under-investment. However, those factors would only account for a price to around the $50 - 60 level. The huge run-up in the price of oil and our recent Great Recession was a result of wrenching economic adjustments; Oil's big price rise was not a cause of them.

The cheap labor in China - along with that country's rapid growth - has become like global Capitalism's Sun, around which everything else will revolve for quite some time. Consider that alongside an aging US, European, and Japanse population and you can see why all these economic factors have created the recent Recession.
Last edited by Carlhole on Tue 17 Nov 2009, 15:36:59, edited 1 time in total.
Carlhole

Unread postby ian807 » Tue 17 Nov 2009, 15:36:11

It was one factor certainly, but not the whole story.

Remember, the aggregate exposure of banks to derivatives is on the order of 200 Trillion (Trillion. With a "T") or so. Throw in all the other organizations in the US (cough, cough, Goldman Sachs. AIG, cough) and it goes up to something over 500 Trillion dollars of exposure just waiting for deleveraging. There there's the rest of the world, where BIS estimates bring us to over a Quadrillion dollars of exposure.

Derivatives are funny things. Counterparty risks on both sides should be insured, but sometimes aren't. Even if they are, you'd better hope the insurer (cough, AIG) has enough real money to cover if your bets go bad.

They went bad. There wasn't enough money, anywhere to cover the losses of this magnitude. Oil was one factor that made contracts go bad. Housing was another. Then it all started rolling downhill.

So derivatives, which make things much less risky when the economy is on the up, amplify the downside in a very unpleasant way.

And they're all still there. Nothing has changed. They're not being marked to market. Nobody big is taking the loss (real capitalism is for the little people, doncha know....).
ian807
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Chuckmak » Wed 18 Nov 2009, 13:48:58

Armageddon wrote:The NWO is going as planned.

and whose plan will ultimately fail.
"if god doesn't exist, it is necessary that we invent him" - Voltaire

"they say prescott bush funded hitler" - Nas

Chuckmak
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby hillsidedigger » Wed 18 Nov 2009, 13:54:30

The buildup of demand in anticipation of the Chinese olympics was a large source of the increase in the value of oil last summer.

The world was horrified by what was witnessed in China and any with any sense said "Sell, sell, sell" resulting in collapse within a few days.
hillsidedigger
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Wed 18 Nov 2009, 18:30:07

But it's conservative dogma that some shifty brown skinned minorities in the US got subprime mortgages and this somehow crashed the global economy.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby The_Virginian » Thu 26 Nov 2009, 20:17:42

Outside of "Bad credit" getting 200K + loans, Outside of CHINESE (and some US) Drywall in homes that forced people out of them, outside of 140+ dolllar a Barrel Oil, and outside of the way ALL Bubbles end...

I'm sure there was a conspiracy somewhere... ( Sub-prime loans packaged as AAA+ bonds!)
[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watchv=Ai4te4daLZs&feature=related[/url] "My soul longs for the candle and the spices. If only you would pour me a cup of wine for Havdalah...My heart yearning, I shall lift up my eyes to g-d, who provides for my needs day and night."
The_Virginian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Thu 26 Nov 2009, 23:37:14

Chuckmak wrote:

This sounds like dialogue for a bad B-movie. You guys have to reconnect with reality. This dimestore clairvoyance about presuming to know the hidden thoughts and motivations of shifty characters behind closed doors is tiresome.
mos6507

Unread postby Armageddon » Thu 26 Nov 2009, 23:58:20

mos6507 wrote:
Chuckmak wrote:

This sounds like dialogue for a bad B-movie. You guys have to reconnect with reality. This dimestore clairvoyance about presuming to know the hidden thoughts and motivations of shifty characters behind closed doors is tiresome.

I guess you missed the EU President admit this year was going to be the beginning of the one world government

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=116902
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Quinny » Fri 27 Nov 2009, 00:06:39

I understand where you're coming from, but I actually believe there has to be some co-ordination be it some what reluctantly. I also believe although po is not the only reason for the crash, it is the prime reason behind the bubbles.

The disconnect between 'real wealth' and money meant that western powers and in particular the US had to have bubbles to keep the game in play. For all the criticism of bankers, they have managed to keep western standards of living way higher than we deserve in relation to the wealth we create. I don't agree with this, but most consumers and workers do.

If you imagine playing a neutral father figure at a meeting between the Chinese and US, the NWO :) route is probably the lesser of several evils in terms of its immediate impact.

Like Carhole says, with improved communications etc. you can't carry on living off the backs of others cheap labour for ever!

mos6507 wrote:
Chuckmak wrote:

Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to Economics & Finance