Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Barbara Ehrenreich on the dangers of positive thinking

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Barbara Ehrenreich on the dangers of positive thinking

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 14 Jul 2010, 19:40:41

Here's a really neat animated video of one of Ehreneich's talks (she wrote "Nickel and Dimed" and "Bait and Switch"). The other videos on this youtube channel are also enlightening.

So anyway, the premise to the talk is that positive thinking is dangerous and every bit as delusional as over-negativity.

Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5um8QWWRvo
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Barbara Ehrenreich on the dangers of positive thinking

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 14 Jul 2010, 20:15:48

Thats a great video. It brought to mind the prattle about "green shoots" that we've hearing out of DC for the last eighteen months----who can complain about exploding deficits and the worst environmental disaster in history and millions of people being out of work when the positive thinking message is that the "green shoots" are going to save us all. 8)
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 14 Jul 2010, 22:23:05

Plantagenet wrote:Thats a great video. It brought to mind the prattle about "green shoots" that we've hearing out of DC for the last eighteen months----who can complain about exploding deficits and the worst environmental disaster in history and millions of people being out of work when the positive thinking message is that the "green shoots" are going to save us all. 8)

It's very thought-provoking.. it's become politically incorrect to be a "cynic." It's even a common expression, "you're so cynical," "stop being so cynical," etc.

What Barbara points out is that we need cynics. Without cynics, there's nobody to stand up and say "hey what we're doing here is screwed up and it's wrong." In the corporate world, I think management just doesn't want people below executive level to think critically. If you start thinking critically then you may just start talking about what's wrong in the world around you. Heck, you may even want to join a union (God forbid). From kindergarten to college on up to the corporate world the message is all "positive thinking" and cognitive dissonance. Since so much of our lives revolves around our work, this positive thinking delusion can really screw with your head after a while.

It's no wonder wonder people don't want to think about peak oil, or think about the jobless -- the "positive thinking" mind has no room for these kinds of thoughts. People have commented a few times on this forum how their local bank employees are so clueless about everything that's been going on in the financial crisis. Well, no wonder. Corporate employees are good "positive thinkers," they're also "good consumers," and on all the scary topics like peak oil they firmly believe in "they'll think of something."
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby MD » Thu 15 Jul 2010, 06:33:17

Thoroughly enjoyed the presentation, thanks for sharing!

I particularly liked one of the comments:
When I hear a realist and rationalist like Barbara explode myths like positive thinking, I find myself in a refreshing and positive state of mind. Does that mean that I'm delusional?

:lol: :lol:
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby dinopello » Thu 15 Jul 2010, 07:04:41

I like her message of realism, but I don't like her equating a realistic understanding of the world with advocation of complaining and being grumpy. You can realize the world is screwed and so are you, and even do something about it - yet be somewhat cheerful and not whine and complain about everything all the time.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 15 Jul 2010, 07:31:45

dinopello wrote:I like her message of realism, but I don't like her equating a realistic understanding of the world with advocation of complaining and being grumpy. You can realize the world is screwed and so are you, and even do something about it - yet be somewhat cheerful and not whine and complain about everything all the time.

Speak for yourself. Harumph!
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dinopello » Thu 15 Jul 2010, 08:13:57

Newfie wrote:Speak for yourself. Harumph!

Always ! And, I should say I support the right of anyone to be grumpy and complain about everything all the time. Just don't expect to be invited to the party. Unless you are funny in your grumpiness. A sense of humor goes a long way. Ehrenreich is on the board of directors of NORML so she probably gets invites to the parties.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 16 Jul 2010, 08:22:10

BTW, I liked the video and I think the animation contributed significantly to the understanding.

And furthermore I highly advocate complaining. If you like where you are at and the way you are treated then fine.

I prefer to complain, and I prefer my workers to complain. I assume I could do a better job and if they don't care enough to prod my butt then I don't need them.

Excessive, petty complaining is counter-productive.

What I seek is some really high quality complaining.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Economics & Finance