Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Australia "needs a food security plan and it needs it now"

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Australia "needs a food security plan and it needs it now"

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 29 Jul 2010, 07:56:11

No one in Government seems worried about where the world will source its food or the consequences of shortages. Few are concerned about land being bought by overseas interests, about farmers being driven from the land by low farm gate prices and trade rules which discriminate against Australian growers.

(snip)

This country needs a food security plan and it needs it now.

We must produce food for ourselves and export to help meet global demand or risk having others take from us our capacity to do so because we were too slow to realise what was happening.

It is not enough for the Australian government to keep on talking up free trade and WTO rules. That era effectively ended with the food riots in 2007-2008 as a result of climate change, peak oil, the rush to biofuels and global population growth. Importing countries lost faith in trade rules when food exporting countries like Russia, Argentina and Vietnam limited or banned the export of wheat and rice so as to feed their own people.

(snip)

In Australia, Chinese interests are looking at buying dairy farms in Tasmania and controlling interests in sugar mills in Queensland. It is impossible to find out how many hectares of Australian farm land has already been bought because the Foreign Investment Review Board does not keep track. How can we plan for food security if we do not even collect relevant information?

In a desert nation like Australia, it is madness to sell off the farm and its water or to undervalue the skills of our food growers and researchers. Our children will never forgive us if we become tenant farmers in our own country.
http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/stories/s2964631.htm

Pretty good bit of doom there for what I think is a mainstream Australian outlet. They even mention peak oil.

I've put this in the Aussie / Kiwi forum, though I come at it from an American perspective -- I've heard about the Chinese buying up farmland in Africa, and now I guess they're buying it up in Oz too. So what's next, Chinese owned farms in the US, growing food to feed Chinese people?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for exporting excess food to China. I'm just not comfortable with China actually owning our farmland. Their strategy is very clear here, they're buying up resources around the world that they don't have at home. So when push comes to shove, who do you think a Chinese owned farm in Australia or the US is going to feed?

There's a cliche from the 1950's, where mothers would tell their kids to "eat all your food, think about the starving kids in China." How ironic that in the future, the US and Australia may be like Ireland during the potato famine -- people starving, while their farm produce is shipped offshore.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Australia "needs a food security plan and it needs it no

Unread postby fiedag » Thu 29 Jul 2010, 08:23:14

A relevant post thank you. My neighbour across the road is the Labor candidate for the seat in the upcoming federal election. I will bring it up - he is sure to be sympathetic to the argument. (Of course it would help if he could also defeat the sitting member...)

I would appreciate if anyone reading this in Europe could provide details of relevant legislation there. I have always had the (admittedly uninformed) view that they have solid food security policies in place in Germany, France and the UK.
fiedag
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Crazy_Dad » Thu 29 Jul 2010, 08:56:55

Both parties in Australia continue to fall over themselves to sell anything they can.

I seriously CBF spelling out the details. But we are NOT a democracy. And Corps and foreign investors are given more consideration than citizens.
Crazy_Dad
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 29 Jul 2010, 09:21:53

Crazy_Dad wrote:Both parties in Australia continue to fall over themselves to sell anything they can.

I seriously CBF spelling out the details. But we are NOT a democracy. And Corps and foreign investors are given more consideration than citizens.

From outside looking in, that would be my guess. The US had this debate in the early 90s; the freetraders won, and now our economy is crippled with 22% unemployment and the best these same freetraders can say now is "the jobs aren't coming back." Gee, thanks.

The question Australians should ask themselves is this: rather than making trade agreements to buy Australian commodities, why is it so important to China that they outright own these natural resources? The only possible answer to the question is that China wants to have guaranteed access to those resources, regardless of what the prevailing market price will be.

In the event of a global food shortage, these Chinese-owned farms in your country will continue to ship their produce back to China even if a local Australian were willing to pay more for this food produced in his own country. That's the only possible reason why China wants to own your resources, so that they have guaranteed access to them even if prices skyrocket on the open market.

This has been going on for a long time around the world, this is what US "gunboat diplomacy" used to be all about. This is why Haitians have starved while foreign-owned farms continued to export food from the country. This is why there was revolution in Cuba.

Australians should be very cautious about selling outright ownership of their mineral and land wealth. Once the Chinese own it, what can you do? In a food shortage, you could try to ban food exports but since you've gone and sold ownership to the Chinese don't be surprised to see Chinese gunboats off your shore.

I know that sounds dramatic, but you ought to think about it. Australia was once a colony, became independent, and it seems to me you're now re-colonializing yourself (this time to China).
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Ainan » Fri 30 Jul 2010, 00:50:29

You're all evil racists. Haven't you heard? We're all one big glorious multicult now!

Go on, admit it, we're on the Internet now, you can tell me, you were just put on this earth for comedy relief weren't you? :lol:

Ainan has a food security plan of his own, hopefully he can get implemented sooner rather than later.
April 2008 Global Population: 6.8 billion
April 2010 Global Population: 7 billion
April 2012 Global Population: 7.2 billion
Ainan
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Crazy_Dad » Fri 30 Jul 2010, 08:18:14

Sixstrings wrote:
Crazy_Dad wrote:Both parties in Australia continue to fall over themselves to sell anything they can.

From outside looking in, that would be my guess. The US had this debate in the early 90s; the freetraders won, and now our economy is crippled with 22% unemployment and the best these same freetraders can say now is "the jobs aren't coming back." Gee, thanks.

The question Australians should ask themselves is this: rather than making trade agreements to buy Australian commodities, why is it so important to China that they outright own these natural resources? The only possible answer to the question is that China wants to have guaranteed access to those resources, regardless of what the prevailing market price will be.

I just wish there was a way out of the mess our government is making. Astronomical immigration, foreign investment of land and housing etc is making it impossible for Australians on middle incomes to get by. And THEN they have the cheek to 'worry' about how to lift the aboriginals out of poverty(Who are reliant on my tax dollar - and who I would love to see do better). Whilst ensuring that I will never own a home despite working full time in IT(And I'm damn good at it). Perhaps the housing bubble will burst here soon too. I fricken hope so.

Unfortunately most Australians are more interested in 'footy' than intelligent discussion of events/issues that will one day rock their world. In my opinion we are more clueless than any other nation on the issue of politics.

Footy loving Australians(Bogans - google it for a giggle) are lambs to the slaughter. Most people here will not even discuss political issues at a BBQ or at work. But hey 'some dick with cardio skills kicked a goal!' is the response. I surf so there is no need to prove my cardio 'elitetness'. I commune with nature, not commercially compromised bread and circuses mass media enabled crap(Damn I said it out loud again).

I struggle to properly express myself when I get worked up. But this is the sort of thing I read daily.
http://www.oftwominds.com/survival-plus-CHS.pdf
http://www.kunstler.com/index.php
http://www.crikey.com.au/
http://candobetter.org/

Well I'm looking forward to what the maniacs in charge here will do with the internet, global warming, immigration and masterchef. Apparently most people in Australia would abdicate their electoral responsibilities in favour of a cooking program. I hope they like meat.
Crazy_Dad
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Ayame » Fri 30 Jul 2010, 08:47:58

Sixstrings wrote:In the event of a global food shortage, these Chinese-owned farms in your country will continue to ship their produce back to China even if a local Australian were willing to pay more for this food produced in his own country. That's the only possible reason why China wants to own your resources, so that they have guaranteed access to them even if prices skyrocket on the open market.

Herro! Say herro to new Chinese masters!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5QLZ4oj_6A

I'd still raid their damn farms if I were starving.
Ayame
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 30 Jul 2010, 11:01:22

Ainan wrote:You're all evil racists. Haven't you heard? We're all one big glorious multicult now!

Go on, admit it, we're on the Internet now, you can tell me, you were just put on this earth for comedy relief weren't you? :lol:

Ainan has a food security plan of his own, hopefully he can get implemented sooner rather than later.

Yup, united under one big red flag with pretty yellow stars. Maybe in the future they'll add a couple more stars to represent the US and Australia.
Last edited by Sixstrings on Fri 30 Jul 2010, 11:57:50, edited 2 times in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 30 Jul 2010, 11:54:19

Crazy_Dad wrote:I just wish there was a way out of the mess our government is making.

I'm surprised you guys have become such globalists. I've never been to Oz, but met a lot of Aussies back in my backpacking across Europe days. Of all the nationalities, Aussies are my favorite (every Aussie I traveled with was loads of fun, positive attitude about everything, tough, independent and never whined -- perfect travelling companions).

My limited knowledge of Australians is probably skewed, but seeing them as these rugged individualists as I do, it's hard for me to understand how there isn't more nationalistic sentiment in your country. Oz has a lot going for it, you have the resources that China needs and so you can deal with China as an independent equal -- you really don't have to hand yourself to China on a silver platter.

Astronomical immigration, foreign investment of land and housing etc is making it impossible for Australians on middle incomes to get by.

The old two sides of every coin. I'm sure homeowners love the exponentially-rising real estate market, but on the other hand it's a shame someone like you who lives in that country can't afford a home when so many investment homes sit empty with their owners back in China. One thing is for sure here -- your real estate market will probably crash. It all depends on what happens with China, and who knows it could keep going for a long time. But it's obviously a bubble and must eventually pop; it's hard to believe this when you're living in it, but it happened here in the US and so your bubble will pop too.

Unfortunately most Australians are more interested in 'footy' than intelligent discussion of events/issues that will one day rock their world. In my opinion we are more clueless than any other nation on the issue of politics.

Hm, so that's what it is? Sounds like the US; although people here do talk about politics at least as much as sports, it's a very shallow discussion (nonsense like Obama being a secret muslim, and all the really crazy stuff Glenn Beck spews out on TV). So maybe you're better off than we are, better to just talk about sports than politcal talk that's crazy and nonsensical.

Well I'm looking forward to what the maniacs in charge here will do with the internet, global warming, immigration and masterchef. Apparently most people in Australia would abdicate their electoral responsibilities in favour of a cooking program. I hope they like meat.

That internet censorship thing is a real puzzler to me.. not even the US would do something like that (not yet anyhow). The fundamental principle here is that once government starts censoring, it's always common sense stuff to start out with -- but then it NEVER ends. I just read that China has shut down access to Google again.. so Australia's stance on internet censorship is another weird enmeshment with China.

And what's this Masterchef I keep reading about? I like cooking shows. :) It's not just Oz, the cooking shows are a fad over here too. The irony though is that all this interest in cooking is leading people to culinary school, but the fact remains that cooking jobs are damn hard work for very low wages. There's also no stability and poor or nonexistent benefits. And on top of all that, in the US anyone getting into this field has to compete with illegal immigrants who work for the lowest wage possible, work hard, and never complain (a boss's dream, they can't complain if they don't speak English eh?).
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Peak Debt » Wed 15 Sep 2010, 23:47:31

I just wish there was a way out of the mess our government is making. Astronomical immigration, foreign investment of land and housing etc is making it impossible for Australians on middle incomes to get by. And THEN they have the cheek to 'worry' about how to lift the aboriginals out of poverty(Who are reliant on my tax dollar - and who I would love to see do better). Whilst ensuring that I will never own a home despite working full time in IT(And I'm damn good at it). Perhaps the housing bubble will burst here soon too. I fricken hope so.

Crazy isnt it.

I look forward to the day when Australians wake up to reality.

But right now we have a government determined to push the masses deeper and deeper into debt, wasting money on consumer crap and bidding up house prices.

While the environment suffers, young people are priced out of housing, and speculators lord it over common people.

Disgraceful but it can't go on forever. I live in hope.
'Peak Debt' is a term coined by Jaswant Jain in 2006. Jain concluded that debt incurred by an economy will eventually reach a limit.
At that point deflation is inevitable as consumption must be reduced to allow the the debt to be repaid.
Peak Debt Forum
Peak Debt
Wood
Wood

Unread postby vilemerchant » Sat 30 Oct 2010, 16:41:15

I think you're all nuts. Thanks to China I believe this country has the ability to go on a 10-year bull run while America and Europe stagnate. China have no real ability to threaten us militarily, they're a world away and their navy is absolute shite, we're not going to 'starve' while chinese owned farms export all the food back home, we might like footy but we're not completely retarded. If the beer and snags stop being delivered on time there will be some sharp political adjustments to the rules and there won't be a thing China can do about it.

I say we just keep shipping them the ironore and coal they want, take their money and maintain and expand a credible submarine force that will sink their boats :)
vilemerchant
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 30 Oct 2010, 17:55:00

None of it makes any sense to me.

While I understand that China does want pieces of your land, what do they expect to happen if you guys feel you need it back and just "take" it????

Vielmerchant has a point, it's not like they will come over an invade. If they were going to do that then why buy at all????

Still this is a growing trend.

http://www.grain.org/briefings/?id=212

Seized: The 2008 landgrab for food and financial security

GRAIN

Today’s food and financial crises have, in tandem, triggered a new global land grab. On the one hand, “food insecure” governments that rely on imports to feed their people are snatching up vast areas of farmland abroad for their own offshore food production. On the other hand, food corporations and private investors, hungry for profits in the midst of the deepening financial crisis, see investment in foreign farmland as an important new source of revenue. As a result, fertile agricultural land is becoming increasingly privatised and concentrated. If left unchecked, this global land grab could spell the end of small-scale farming, and rural livelihoods, in numerous places around the world.

Introduction

Land grabbing has been going on for centuries. One has only to think of Columbus “discovering” America and the brutal expulsion of indigenous communities that this unleashed, or white colonialists taking over territories occupied by the Maori in New Zealand and by the Zulu in South Africa. It is a violent process very much alive today, from China to Peru. Hardly a day goes by without reports in the press about struggles over land, as mining companies such as Barrick Gold invade the highlands of South America or food corporations such as Dole or San Miguel swindle farmers out of their land entitlements in the Philippines. In many countries, private investors are buying up huge areas to be run as natural parks or conservation areas. And wherever you look, the new biofuels industry, promoted as an answer to climate change, seems to rely on throwing people off their land.

Something more peculiar is going on now, though. The two big global crises that have erupted over the last 15 months – the world food crisis and the broader financial crisis that the food crisis has been part of1 – are together spawning a new and disturbing trend towards buying up land for outsourced food production. There are two parallel agendas driving two kinds of land grabbers. But while their starting points may differ, the tracks eventually converge.

When going through hell, keep going! Churchill
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much. E Wiman
I know there’s no solution, so I just enjoy what’s here and I enjoy the journey G Carlin
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 30 Oct 2010, 20:50:53

The Oz guv has allowed the 2 big supermarkets (Woolworths/ Coles) to monopolise over 70% of the food market. These mega companies screw farmers into the dirt with cutthroat contracting tactics which are nothing short of evil.
The average dairy farmer in Australia would be better off financially flipping burgers in MacDonalds. I am not kidding. Every potential buyer in the country knows this, the Chinese don't seem to, so more fool them.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Crazy_Dad » Sun 31 Oct 2010, 08:08:28

SeaGypsy wrote:The Oz guv has allowed the 2 big supermarkets (Woolworths/ Coles) to monopolise over 70% of the food market. These mega companies screw farmers into the dirt with cutthroat contracting tactics which are nothing short of evil.
The average dairy farmer in Australia would be better off financially flipping burgers in MacDonalds. I am not kidding. Every potential buyer in the country knows this, the Chinese don't seem to, so more fool them.

I see the farmers as a possible source of support for the Sustainable Population Party in AU.
There is a meeting soon in Perth, If you are interested and local it is at the Captain Stirling Hotel, Nov 27.
12 Noon onwards.

SG I am constantly fighting the system, with a daily search on population on google. I then leave my comments against the growth lobby here in AU. Mostly my comments get 'moderated' as they don't suit the growth lobby media outlets.

The housing crash is coming to Oz soon, water shortages are mounting, despite some floods in the short term

The Farmers are experincing very real mental health issues. Suicide is up, so are the banks profits. Research needs to be done on the correlation.

One thing is for sure, Australia cannot accomodate more people, we are facing a dieoff situation with PO already. Think the WA goldfields, if the pumping stations turn off, then many thousands will die.
Crazy_Dad
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Mon 01 Nov 2010, 10:44:11

Hi CD, I haven't forgotten our chats; we will perhaps actually meet one day.
I am more in the Philippines than Australia nowdays, but still have to go back and shake the money tree from time to time.

I can't see the housing bubble in Oz busting until unemployment gets back up to double what it is now; something which is not currently on the horizon. The pop up lobby will keep dominating the MSM for sure, just think of the horror of the pollies at not being able to get those bloody fantastic pensions they are entitled to! We are busily digging the hole in the ground and sending the dirt to Chindia, this will continue for the forseeable. For as long as it does the banks will keep lending money, the housing prices will keep being patently rediculous and the cost of living will be creeping inexorably up.

Denial of reality is the new religion in Oz, and if you don't like it you may as well neck yourself because nobody cares; it's all about the money and the debt.

Australia has become a pathetic shadow of what it was as a country before little Bush (Howard); a country run by banksters and corporations with a fully equipped police state backing them up. I prefer to take my chances in a basket case 3rd world country with almost no suicide, private debt or security. It' just more real here.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Pretorian » Mon 01 Nov 2010, 17:46:03

Australia also needs to throw out all that human garbage it accumulated by now .
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby demargot222 » Fri 10 Dec 2010, 17:51:27

if you are that concerned then buy local and organic, much better for you! the consumer votes for everything that is bought. And what does Pretorian mean by 'human garbage'?
demargot222
Wood
Wood

Unread postby sparky » Fri 10 Dec 2010, 20:56:27

WOG's probably
...I'm O.K. with the Viets , Maoris and Koreans ( the Irish of Asia ) and the Thais of course
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 10 Dec 2010, 21:23:53

Buying local organic has it's merits but will not solve Australia's long term problems post peak: highly concentrated population in low fertility areas with suburbia built on top of what was fertile and near the population centers.
After 20 years as an activist in Australia I am very cynical about any radical change being adopted in the direction of long term sustainability.
Australia is ruled by the banks.

Pretorian thinks we are mad for supporting the following list of 'bludgers':
Aboriginals
Druggie single parents
Boat people
Rag heads
African militia
Lazy buggers who just don't want to work

That's my reading of him over a couple of years here, he may wish to elaborate?
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Next

Return to Australia & New Zealand Discussion