Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Chaos As Crowd Waits for Section 8 Housing Assistance

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Chaos As Crowd Waits for Section 8 Housing Assistance

Unread postby Ache » Wed 11 Aug 2010, 17:03:53

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/1 ... 78840.html

More than a thousand people gathered Wednesday outside a metro-Atlanta shopping mall in hopes of being placed on a waiting list for federal housing funds.

Fights broke out, children were reportedly trampled, and police had to stop the crowd from storming a cafe being used by the East Point Housing Authority in East Point, Ga, reports the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Television station 11Alive reports that the line for Section 8 housing vouchers formed two days ago and grew into the hundreds Tuesday night. People even slept outside the cafe despite repeated assertions from the housing officials that the line was unnecessary and everyone would receive an application.

By Wednesday morning, the crowd had grown so large that East Point police began patrolling the area in riot gear and first responders were tending to people who were overheating in the sun.

People became frustrated when officials, feeling overwhelmed, did not open the cafe doors at 9 a.m., as they had planned, reports CBS Atlanta. Those waiting in line were told by officials to move from one location to another before police and housing officials handed out applications.

East Point's approximately 200 public housing units are full, according to 11Alive, and more than 400 Section 8 vouchers are already in use. It is unlikely that many of those waiting for the applications would ever receive the housing funds.

According to the most recent data,the unemployment rate in Fulton County where East Point is located is 10.8 percent. The national average is 9.5 percent.
Ache
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Chaos As Crowd Waits for Section 8 Housing Assistance

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 11 Aug 2010, 18:46:40

This is already posted in Open.

I think this forum format has a real problem.. people aren't aware of all the posts in the various categories. I logged out the other day by accident, and when I came back I guess I'd lost the cookie because when I hit new posts I saw nothing.

So I think that's what's going on here, maybe people who log out and in each time just have no way of seeing what's already been posted. That would also explain why so few are using the forum now, they log in hit new posts and don't see anything.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby lper100km » Wed 11 Aug 2010, 20:57:07

I noticed this a while ago. I now browse as a Guest – that way I see all the updates - and only log in to post.
lper100km
Lignite
Lignite

Location: Over the tracks, left under the overpass, right, third boxcar on the left, ask for Jack

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 11 Aug 2010, 21:12:12

lper100km wrote:I noticed this a while ago. I now browse as a Guest – that way I see all the updates - and only log in to post.

I wish the forum admin would fix this issue -- I'm tellin ya, that's why the forum died. People aren't going to sort through 13 categories.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Economics & Finance