Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

550M eggs recalled, growing vulnerability in delivery system

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

550M eggs recalled, growing vulnerability in delivery system

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 23 Aug 2010, 21:59:53

From the "Doomers Told You So" department:

The largest egg recall in U.S. history comes at a point of great consolidation in the egg industry, when a shrinking number of companies produce most of the eggs found on grocery shelves and a defect in one operation can jeopardize a significant segment of the marketplace.

Just 192 large egg companies own about 95 percent of laying hens in this country, down from 2,500 in 1987, according to United Egg Producers, an industry group. Most of those producers are concentrated in five states: Iowa, Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania and California.

"I don't think people have any idea when they see all these brand names in the stores that so many are coming from the same place," said Patty Lovera, assistant director of Food and Water Watch, a food safety organization. "It raises the stakes -- if one company is doing something wrong, it affects a lot of food."

That magnified effect is illustrated by the current recall: Just two Iowa producers, Wright County Egg and Hillandale Farms, have been implicated in a nationwide outbreak of Salmonella enteritidis, with the companies recalling 500 million eggs sold under 24 brands. "The size of this thing is kind of amazing," Lovera said.

The complexity of the distribution chain means additional recalls are likely as investigators wade through invoices and try to piece together where the affected eggs have ended up.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/23/AR2010082305118_pf.html

No, it's not good to have just a handful of Big Agribusiness companies feeding the entire nation. This is why local is important and 3,000 mile eggs and caesar salads are bad. Not that government will listen of course.. egg suppliers will continue to consolidate because that means bigger profits.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: 550M eggs recalled, growing vulnerability in delivery sy

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Mon 23 Aug 2010, 22:03:52

If you know your farmer; you know your food.

If you do not want some nameless bureaucrat (private or public) dictating your life for you, why do you trust her with the safety of your 3 square a day?

Of course it is more expensive; at what cost liberty? Community?
http://www.thenewfederalistpapers.com
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 23 Aug 2010, 22:07:44

wisconsin_cur wrote:If you know your farmer; you know your food.

I just remembered, I posted a few weeks ago about government agencies raiding and busting up organic farm co-ops. God forbid you eat an egg from your neighbor's chicken coop, since Big Ag is so much safer for us and all. Now we have over a half billion eggs recalled in 22 states (and growing).
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Mon 23 Aug 2010, 22:12:38

Sixstrings wrote:
wisconsin_cur wrote:If you know your farmer; you know your food.

I just remembered, I posted a few weeks ago about government agencies raiding and busting up organic farm co-ops. God forbid you eat an egg from your neighbor's chicken coop, since Big Ag is so much safer for us and all. Now we have over a half billion eggs recalled in 22 states (and growing).

It can be done without breaking the law. Some people break the law on principle, more power to them; the unfortunate part is that people then come to believe that they cannot do it. I got neighbors selling USDA inspected pig, cow, chicken or lamb. You can buy eggs from me. Milk is what most often gets people in trouble with the law. Even then, as long as one is discret and can work inside a relationship of trust, you can, legally, get raw milk from a farmer.

I'll fight the good fight on changing the law but stay within the law as it is now.
http://www.thenewfederalistpapers.com
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Tue 24 Aug 2010, 12:22:07

How does half a billion eggs get contaminated ? It boggles my mind. With small scale farming, eggs still get contaminated but the impact is much more localized.

Now Walmart is recalling 380,000 lbs of deli meat
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion