Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Buddy can you spare a Yen?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Buddy can you spare a Yen?

Unread postby Pops » Tue 24 Aug 2010, 09:03:30

Don't have any idea what this means...
Google
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: Buddy can you spare a Yen?

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 24 Aug 2010, 10:17:41

It means that the dollar is tanking against the Yen. I've been reading hints of this for a couple weeks now. There's some thinking out there along the lines that the Japanese are getting ready to finally emerge form their lost decades, just because of the demographic change they're about to head into.

I also read somewhere that China has moved away from US treasuries and is buying Japanese bonds instead -- so maybe that's behind it too, a suddenly greater demand for Yen in the world would cause that currency to rise in value. Hm, I also seem to remember reading something about the Japanese central bank giving up on trying to keep the Yen from appreciating -- they'd rather have a weaker currency, that's better for exports.. but apparently the demand for Yen is too strong and they can't hold it back.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Open Topic Discussion