Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Virtue of an Oil Change

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

The Virtue of an Oil Change

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Tue 24 Aug 2010, 21:34:49

It is a shame that, for the most part, we have stopped changing our own oil. I'm not saying thing itself is so important, but rather the virtue that arises from doing such a small, technically simple but high consequence task for one's self. Changing oil is a straight-forward affair, within reach nearly everyone. When it is completed, one is left with the consequences of their own work. If you forget to put on the filter and oil spills to the ground as you re-fill it, there is no one to blame but the mechanic. If the plug comes loose after forty miles, there is no one to sue but the person swearing in the rear view mirror.

He who changes his own oil also comes face to face with his own waste in a manner that is all too rare these days. Dirty oil must be placed in a bottle of some sort, usually the empties your new oil came in, and carried with all its weight and volume to be recycled. It does not magically disappear like when the speedy lube does the job while you drink coffee and watch CNN, but you, the one for whom it was made waste, are responsible for its disposal. The waste is no longer a mental construct but a present, if small, inconvenience in real life. It is not something that disappears but it leaves a mark on the upholstery if we are not very careful.

We need such small practices only because we live so much of our lives divorced from tangible responsibility. Not all to be sure but an ever growing percentage of Americans work in professions where their input is so far removed from the final outcome that it is difficult to measure an individual's impact on success or failure. Even assuming that failure is recognized as such and even assuming we suspects that we bare some portion of responsibility for that failure, the temptation to project blame on some other part of the production stream is ever present and quick to find social support. Someone else can and will be found to carry the heaviest portion of blame, it matters little if it is the union,management, the marketing department or just the other shift; the net effect is the same, the individual ego is freed from their share of responsibility and can carry on unencumbered by self-evaluation or critique.

Once the virtue of self-criticism, which is the only way to improvement, is weakened it impacts the whole of the person and the whole of their life. When we face adversity in our marriages, other relationships, politics or any other part of our life we become less likely to ask the question "What could I have done differently? Or even "What went wrong?" But default to the accusatory,"Who is to blame?" We should not be surprised that people who start with that question rarely discover an answer that points at themselves, their political party, their ideological peers or any other group which includes the person asking the question. Blame is always found on the outside.

Inversely, a small awareness of personal responsibility, fostered through regularly practicing an accessible skill where the consequences of failure remain high, ingrains a virtue of responsibility for doing a job right. Self-critique become less a threat and more a means of avoiding screwing up so badly in the future. In the United States, and the West more generally, we have fostered a culture where it is more important to just do something rather than to insure that we do a thing correctly. Antagonizing this instinct to "just do" is a reluctance to sacrifice or discomfort. When we say someone ought to do something, we do not include ourselves in the "someone." In changing oil we learn that grime does not kill and that contorting one's arm to start the oil filter on a 1984 Buick Skylark is the only way to accomplish the necessary end and "just part of a job." The more time we spend undoing the subconsciously internalized assumption that grime and contortion is work for other people, the more capable we become of undertaking the work that will be required each of us as the challenges of the future become the challenges of the present. When enough people are more capable we will find we have a culture capable of facing the problems before us.

There are no silver bullets to the problems we face. If we are to face them well, however, we will need the everyday virtues that have fallen to disuse during the decades of abundance. We must viscerally connect not only with the possibilities and consequences of failure but also with our duty to contribute to success. We must renounce the vice of reflexively externalizing blame, not that others are not responsible for failures but that even when BP is responsible for a spill that dumps hundreds of thousands of barrels of oil in to the Gulf of Mexico, each of us also remains culpable for our contribution to a society which not only consumes so much oil but also empowers a government which fails in its oversight of a company with so poor a safety record. If we do not also address where we contribute to a problem, we remain part of the problem; perhaps even the driving force of the problem.

Moving into a future of crisis and scarcity we need more than the specialized knowledge of engineers and scientists. We must be a people capable of supporting a society which supports and directs them in our economics, our culture as well as our politics. Virtues can only be built through practice. We become brave through acting bravely. We learn generosity through giving. We learn to lead through following. And we learn about risks of failure and the cost of success by undertaking high consequence tasks for ourselves, even if that task is as simple as changing the oil. Only when we become a nation filled with the kind of people who are willing to risk failure and get their hands dirty can we be trusted to make higher consequence decisions that will form the world inherited by generations yet born.

http://www.thenewfederalistpapers.com
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: The Virtue of an Oil Change

Unread postby Xenophobe » Tue 24 Aug 2010, 22:36:00

wisconsin_cur wrote:Moving into a future of crisis and scarcity we need more than the specialized knowledge of engineers and scientists.

I like the bumper sticker. But lets not forget that without those engineers and scientists, there wouldn't even be a bumper to attach it to, let alone make sure that one farmer can feed what, a couple hundred people? Lets here it for farmers, whoo-rah!

As far as a future of crisis and scarcity, well, the idea has certainly been around awhile. But I think those scientists and engineers keep getting in the way, dang gum it!

In the interests of common interests, I change the oil on everything I own. Make sure it heads off for recycling as well.
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby The_Virginian » Wed 25 Aug 2010, 05:53:03

w/o an ANSI cert. mechanic/repair shop you void warranties on most newer vehicles.

for those off warranty, enjoy. :wink:
[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watchv=Ai4te4daLZs&feature=related[/url] "My soul longs for the candle and the spices. If only you would pour me a cup of wine for Havdalah...My heart yearning, I shall lift up my eyes to g-d, who provides for my needs day and night."
The_Virginian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Roy » Wed 25 Aug 2010, 07:14:06

Inversely, a small awareness of personal responsibility, fostered through regularly practicing an accessible skill where the consequences of failure remain high, ingrains a virtue of responsibility for doing a job right. Self-critique become less a threat and more a means of avoiding screwing up so badly in the future. In the United States, and the West more generally, we have fostered a culture where it is more important to just do something rather than to insure that we do a thing correctly. Antagonizing this instinct to "just do" is a reluctance to sacrifice or discomfort. When we say someone ought to do something, we do not include ourselves in the "someone." In changing oil we learn that grime does not kill and that contorting one's arm to start the oil filter on a 1984 Buick Skylark is the only way to accomplish the necessary end and "just part of a job." The more time we spend undoing the subconsciously internalized assumption that grime and contortion is work for other people, the more capable we become of undertaking the work that will be required each of us as the challenges of the future become the challenges of the present. When enough people are more capable we will find we have a culture capable of facing the problems before us.

Excellent essay and I agree 100%. This paragraph struck a chord in me. One part of my personal Peak Oil journey is learning how to do lots of things I didn't know how to do as little as 6 years ago. It's satisfying and sometimes risky, but it really gives you confidence, and an appreciation of the skill required to do what many people think of as menial tasks, or things beneath their skill/education.

I've been changing oil since I started doing my parents' cars as a teenager. I just don't trust jiffylube type places to be honest or do a good job, and dealerships are often referred to as 'stealerships' amongst automotive enthusiasts, for good reason.

Voiding warranties by changing one's own oil? Not on either of my newer cars.

Looks like Wiscur and I have at least one common vehicle based on that picture. And I always recycle my used oil, but I have known people who dump it in the gutter (in town) or on the ground (in rural areas). Once when a guy a knew started dumping, I noticed that we were no more than 20 feet from his well. I said "where do you think that oil goes". He just shrugged and dumped the rest. It's better that some people DON'T change their own oil.
A nations military should only be used in a nations self defense, not to entertain liberal cravings for shaping poor nations into images of themselves by force. -- Eastbay

Shooting the messenger is typical when you are incapable of arguing against them. -- Airline Pilot
Roy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Roy » Wed 25 Aug 2010, 07:16:11

Related, just came into my email box. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1305500/Do-Not-likely-youre-35--Survey-finds-young-people-DIY-dunces-rewire-plug.html

Do it yourself? Not likely if you're under 35. More than half are DIY dunces who can't even rewire a plug and have to rely on parents

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 11:16 PM on 23rd August 2010

More than half of young people lack the skills they need to maintain their homes, with many relying on their parents to carry out basic tasks, a survey suggested today.

Around 50 per cent of people aged under 35 admitted they did not know how to rewire a plug, while 54 per cent did not know how to bleed a radiator and 63 per cent said they would not attempt to put up wallpaper, according to Halifax Home Insurance.

Other basic jobs, such as putting up shelves, were beyond 45 per cent of those questioned, while 36 per cent said they would not even attempt to do gardening themselves.

DON'T do it yourself: Young people under 35 are more likely to call in a professional when it comes to doing jobs around the house

Instead 42 per cent would pay a professional to do the work.

Nearly two-thirds of young people admitted that their father was far better at DIY than they were.

The study also found that when the under-35s do attempt to do a job themselves and it goes wrong, it costs nearly three times as much to fix as problems caused by other age groups.

The average cost of putting right a botched DIY job carried out by someone under 35 is £2,498, compared with around £838 for those aged over 45.

Don't try this at home: Under-35s spend on average £2,498 to fix botched DIY jobs

Martyn Foulds, senior claims manager for Halifax Home Insurance, said: 'This survey strongly suggests that younger people feel they don't have the experience or knowledge necessary to tackle even the most basic of home maintenance and DIY tasks.

'This indicates a significant number of younger householders could be storing up problems for the future, as the lack of home maintenance starts to take its toll on their homes.'

ETA: URL
A nations military should only be used in a nations self defense, not to entertain liberal cravings for shaping poor nations into images of themselves by force. -- Eastbay

Shooting the messenger is typical when you are incapable of arguing against them. -- Airline Pilot
Roy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 25 Aug 2010, 07:33:07

In my experience it is not just the young but the well educated and well paid. I say this having had the experience of a group of 60 something's at my church crowd around me as I reset a circuit breaker, so they could learn how to do it. Another fellow, a retired "professional" couldn't wire up a PA speaker. The Pastor called me yesterday to help him with a little task, putting on a pool cover, because I was the only one in the congregation he would trust. That's pretty lame. The congregation is on average in the low 60's but very well educated and many are/were well paid. And it extends beyond mechanical skills to simple managerial skills such as hiring help or being able to do the books.

So if you extend this thought process, if/when TSHTF, who would be more valuable to your group? The investment banker....or the Hells Angel?

As I see it the guys that live in the ghettos and make their living on the street are much more likely to be survivors than the chaps living in the condos.

When the test changes, from text book learning to real life survival, a different kind of intelligence will be recognized, if not appreciated.

One more thing, as I have mentioned before my bug out plan is a boat. I find that sailors, in general, are much more self reliant because they have to be. There is not a whole lot of help "out there." That makes them a different kind of sort to hang around with. The sort that will probably do better when things do worse.

When going through hell, keep going! Churchill
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much. E Wiman
I know there’s no solution, so I just enjoy what’s here and I enjoy the journey G Carlin
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Pretorian » Wed 25 Aug 2010, 07:39:34

Xenophobe wrote:I like the bumper sticker. But lets not forget that without those engineers and scientists, there wouldn't even be a bumper to attach it to, let alone make sure that one farmer can feed what, a couple hundred people? Lets here it for farmers, whoo-rah!

You forget that a farmer does not need to feed a couple hundred people. He needs to feed himself and his family. Period. He is forced to feed 200 people by banks, uncle Sam, and his own hubris.

Speaking of the oil change, there are quite a few of people who will be dumping dirty oil regardless of how easy it is to recycle. People are stupid negligent animals with self-entitling attitudes , you cant expect anything else from them.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Xenophobe » Wed 25 Aug 2010, 08:15:00

The_Virginian wrote:w/o an ANSI cert. mechanic/repair shop you void warranties on most newer vehicles.

for those off warranty, enjoy. :wink:

Warranties across the board and never been refused because I change my own oil yet.
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Xenophobe » Wed 25 Aug 2010, 08:16:45

Pretorian wrote:You forget that a farmer does not need to feed a couple hundred people. He needs to feed himself and his family. Period. He is forced to feed 200 people by banks, uncle Sam, and his own hubris.

I don't forget what a farmer does, but it does him/her an injustice to pretend they are forced to do something that many of them love to do.
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 25 Aug 2010, 18:57:37

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

"Citizenship in a Republic,"
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

Here is an exercise in creative thinking and writing. Let's all try to not criticize but come up with some good ways of learning new skills. Changing your oil is one. Here is another.

I have for many years advocated (somewhat tongue in cheek) that to eat meat you had to have a license, renewable annually. To get the license you had to kill and butcher, and cook an animal. Chicken, pig, goat, cow, whatever. No buying your way out of it. Wanna eat a steak at the restaurant? Put up your photo ID license or go veggie.

OK, who's next? Any suggestions?
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much. E Wiman
I know there’s no solution, so I just enjoy what’s here and I enjoy the journey G Carlin
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Wed 25 Aug 2010, 19:13:46

I have for many years advocated (somewhat tongue in cheek) that to eat meat you had to have a license, renewable annually. To get the license you had to kill and butcher, and cook an animal. Chicken, pig, goat, cow, whatever. No buying your way out of it. Wanna eat a steak at the restaurant? Put up your photo ID license or go veggie.

Where's the "like" button?
http://www.thenewfederalistpapers.com
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 25 Aug 2010, 20:25:56

wisconsin_cur wrote:

Where's the "like" button?

I would go even further than that, before you can get the salad or the green beans you should have to spend a week every year or so working as free labor on a farm so you appreciate all the effort it takes to grow your meal at all, let alone truck it across the country.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby MarkJ » Thu 26 Aug 2010, 06:06:14

I started changing oil in vehicles, boats and commercial equipment when I was about 12.

Other than our own fleet mechanics and a select few gearhead family and friends, there are few others I'd trust to change the oil on my personal vehicles and toys, so I perform fluid changes myself.

Too many garages either don't change the oil, use the wrong type of oil, don't change the filter, don't let oil drain completely, leave drainplugs loose, over-torque drainplugs, strip-out drainplugs, use the wrong oil filter, fail to remove the old filter gasket, foget to add the oil, leave the filler cap off, over-fill oil, under-fill oil, slop oil all over the undercarriage of the vehicle, get grease all over the exterior/interior of the vehicle, steal items inside vehicles, scratch paintjobs etc.

Besides wanting it done right, we change our own oil due to the cost of lost time and lost work, fuel and wear and tear related expenses involved in taking them to the stealerships.

We've changed our own oil even when free oil changes were included with new vehicle purchases and/or discounts on future vehicle purchases were offered if we had our oil changed at the stealerships.

We burn used motor oil as well as salvaged heating oil from tank removal, tank changeouts, tank pumpouts and oil to gas/propane conversions to provide heat and/or hot water.
MarkJ
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pretorian » Thu 26 Aug 2010, 09:19:18

MarkJ wrote:Too many garages either don't change the oil, use the wrong type of oil, don't change the filter, don't let oil drain completely, leave drainplugs loose, over-torque drainplugs, strip-out drainplugs, use the wrong oil filter, fail to remove the old filter gasket, foget to add the oil, leave the filler cap off, over-fill oil, under-fill oil, slop oil all over the undercarriage of the vehicle, get grease all over the exterior/interior of the vehicle, steal items inside vehicles, scratch paintjobs etc.

I dont think anyone is as specific as you are Mark, on any forum that I ever read. Wow.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Thu 26 Aug 2010, 10:30:07

Newfie wrote:I have for many years advocated (somewhat tongue in cheek) that to eat meat you had to have a license, renewable annually. To get the license you had to kill and butcher, and cook an animal. Chicken, pig, goat, cow, whatever. No buying your way out of it. Wanna eat a steak at the restaurant? Put up your photo ID license or go veggie.

Won't work. The pussy-wussy attitude toward the slaughter or blood&gore in general will change overnight if that is the case. Ok, may be over the weekend.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 26 Aug 2010, 19:54:15

Or engineering, or what they CALL engineering.

Heard last week of a gal, fresh out of school, chemical engineering, $96K in Houston. Two offers. Reliable source.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Fri 27 Aug 2010, 01:48:31

MarkJ wrote:Too many garages either don't change the oil, use the wrong type of oil, don't change the filter, don't let oil drain completely, leave drainplugs loose, over-torque drainplugs, strip-out drainplugs, use the wrong oil filter, fail to remove the old filter gasket, foget to add the oil, leave the filler cap off, over-fill oil, under-fill oil, slop oil all over the undercarriage of the vehicle ...

Over tighten the filter.

Slop oil on the exhaust manifold resulting in black smoke after a few minutes driving.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion