Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

"Prescription for the Planet: The Remedy for Our Energy..."

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

"Prescription for the Planet: The Remedy for Our Energy..."

Unread postby Carlhole » Tue 31 Aug 2010, 03:05:39

Amazon: Prescription for the Planet: The Painless Remedy for Our Energy & Environmental Crises by Tom Blees

By G. Meyerson (Greensboro, North Carolina USA)

This book is a must read for people who want to be informed about our worsening energy and ecology crisis. Before I read this book, I was opposed to nuclear power for the usual reasons: weapons proliferation and the waste problem. But also because I had read that in fact nuclear power was not as clean as advertised nor as cost competitive as advertised and was, moreover, not a renewable form of energy, as it depends upon depleting stocks of uranium, which would become an especially acute problem in the event of "a nuclear renaissance." Before I read this book, I was also of the opinion that growth economies (meaning for now global capitalism) were in the process of becoming unsustainable, that, as a consequence, our global economy would itself unravel due to increasing energy costs and the inability of renewable technologies genuinely and humanely to solve the global transport problem of finding real replacements for the billions of gallons of gasoline consumed by the global economy, and the billions more gallons required to fuel the growth imperative. I was thus attracted to the most egalitarian versions of Richard Heinberg's power down/relocalization thesis.

Blees' book has turned many of my assumptions upside down and so anyone who shares these assumptions needs to read this book and come to terms with the implications of Blees' excellent arguments. To wit: the nuclear power provided by Integral Fast Reactors (IFR) can provide clean, safe and for all practical purposes renewable power for a growing economy provided this power is properly regulated (I'll return to this issue below). The transportation problems can be solved by burning boron as fuel (a 100% recyclable resource) and the waste problem inevitably caused by exponential growth can be at least partially solved by fully recycling all waste in plasma converters, which themselves can provide both significant power (the heat from these converters can turn a turbine to generate electricity) and important products: non toxic vitrified slag (which Blees notes can be used to refurbish ocean reefs), rock wool (to be used to insulate our houses--it is superior to fiber glass or cellulose) and clean syngas, which can assume the role played by petroleum in the production of products beyond fuel itself. Blees's discussion of how these three elements of a new energy economy can be introduced and integrated is detailed and convincing. Other forms of renewable energy can play a significant role also, though it is his argument that only IFRs can deal with the awesome scale problems of powering a global economy which would still need to grow. Tom's critique of biofuels is devastating and in line with the excellent critiques proferred by both the powerdown people and the red greens (John Bellamy Foster, Fred Magdoff); his critique of the "hydrogen economy" is also devastating (similar to critiques by Joseph Romm or David Strahan); his critique of a solar grand plan must be paid heed by solar enthusiasts of various political stripes.

The heart of this book, though, really resides with the plausibility of the IFR. His central argument is that these reactors can solve the principal problems plaguing other forms of nuclear power. It handles the nuclear waste problem by eating it to produce power: The nuclear waste would fire up the IFRs and our stocks of depleted uranium alone would keep the reactors going for a couple hundred years (factoring in substantial economic growth) due to the stunning efficiency of these reactors, an efficiency enabled by the fact that "a fast reactor can burn up virtually all of the uranium in the ore," not just one percent of the ore as in thermal reactors. This means no uranium mining and milling for hundreds of years.

The plutonium bred by the reactor will be fed back into it to produce more energy and cannot be weaponized due to the different pyroprocessing that occurs in the IFR reactor. In this process, plutonium is not isolated, a prerequisite to its weaponization. The IFR breeders can produce enough nonweaponizable plutonium to start up another IFR in seven years. Moreover, these reactors can be produced quickly (100 per year starting in 2015, with the goal of building 3500 by 2050)), according to Blees, with improvements in modular design, which would facilitate standardization, thus bringing down cost and construction lead time.

Importantly, nuclear accidents would be made virtually impossible due to the integration of "passive" safety features in the reactors, which rely on "the inherent physical properties of the reactor's components to shut it down." (129)

Blees is no shill for the nuclear industry and is in fact quite hostile to corporate power. He thinks that these IFRs must be both run and regulated by a globally accountable, international and public body of experts. Blees has in mind a global energy democracy in which profit would play minimal if any role. Blees realizes that democratizing energy in this way, including technology sharing, will be fought by vested interests. But he thinks that the severity of the climate crisis will persuade people of the necessity of global public ownership over energy resources. My greatest disagreements with this book focus on the scale of conflict that would emerge around such proposals. Blees' energy democracy is a great idea, but I doubt the ruling elites would go for it no matter how much sense it makes. Blees is banking on the unique character of the climate crisis to convert a significant sector of our elites to humanity's cause and not their class interests. Let's hope he's right, but I'm less optimistic that this revolution will be as "painless" as Blees suggests.

That said, Blees's solutions make possible the kind of relatively clean growth I did not think was possible under current global regimes. Still, if such a new energy regime as Blees proposes can solve the climate crisis, this is not to say, in my opinion, that a growth regime is fully compatible with a healthy planet and thus a healthy humanity. There are other resources crucial to us--the world's soils, forests and oceans come to mind--that a constantly expanding global economy can destroy even if we recycle all the world's garbage and stop global warming.

Before I read this book, I did not think contemporary global capitalism could sustain itself for long, due to its pathological inequity and its seeming inability to solve the energy and ecological challenge. Blees' book seems to offer immediate solutions to our energy and ecology problems while breathing new life into some kind of growth economy--whether that economy can rightly be called capitalist given its commitment to energy democracy and democratic planning is a question, perhaps, for Blees's next book.

I think it's hard to exaggerate the IMPORTANCE of this book. Those who are opposed to nuclear power have a responsibility to read and respond to Blees' arguments.

I hope that the book's uncanny timeliness--released in the midst of the greatest financial crisis since the Great Depression, a fact that ought to open people's minds to his critique of the free market--allows it to have the mass impact that it deserves.

I saw someone reference this book in an article in the Telegraph about energy from thorium.

Anybody here read it, by chance? Probably not since it's a positive treatment of the energy subject. I haven't read it and it's not available at my library. Looks interesting but I guess I'll have to part with $25 if my curiosity gets the best of me.

The first chapter is available to read here for free.
Carlhole

Re: "Prescription for the Planet: The Remedy for Our Energy.

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Tue 31 Aug 2010, 03:23:43

All hopes in technology which is not there:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_Fast_Reactor

This is a pie on the sky "magic bullet" idea.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Carlhole » Tue 31 Aug 2010, 03:30:31

EnergyUnlimited wrote:All hopes in technology which is not there:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_Fast_Reactor

This is a pie on the sky "magic bullet" idea.

Where at that link do you get pie-in-the-sky?

Prescription for the Planet by Tom Blees was recommended by Dr. James Hansen of NASA and Global Warming fame during a Charlie Rose interview in 2008. Go to 7:59 into it to see for yourself. He defends 4th generation nuclear (IFR) as a solid way forward.

You know, EU, almost every time I post a news piece related to energy science of some kind, you say something to the effect of "scam" or "pie-in-the-sky" but you invariably turn out to be totally full of BS. You don't know what you're talking about. You have no credibility.
Carlhole

Unread postby Carlhole » Tue 31 Aug 2010, 04:45:05

The Science Council for Global Initiatives

The Integral Fast Reactor

"In the decade from 1984 to 1994, scientists at Argonne National Laboratory developed an advanced technology that promised safe nuclear power unlimited by fuel supplies, with a waste product sharply reduced both in radioactive lifetime and amount. The program, called the IFR, was cancelled suddenly in 1994, before the technology could be perfected in every detail. Its story is not widely known, nor are its implications widely appreciated. It is a story well worth telling, and this series of articles does precisely that."
--- excerpt from Plentiful Energy and the IFR story by Charles Till

Why it matters

To prevent a climate disaster, we must eliminate virtually all coal plant emissions worldwide in 25 years. The best way and, for all practical purposes, the only way to get all countries off of coal is not with coercion; it is to make them want to replace their coal burners by giving them a plug-compatible technology that is less expensive. The IFR can do this. It is plug-compatible with the burners in a coal plant (see Nuclear Power: Going Fast). No other technology can upgrade a coal plant so it is greenhouse gas free while reducing operating costs at the same time.

The bottom line is that without the IFR (or a yet-to-be-invented technology with similar ability to replace the coal burner with a cheaper alternative), it is unlikely that we’ll be able to keep CO2 under 450ppm because coal plants are unlikely to switch until there is a compelling economic alternative.

Today, the IFR is the only technology with the potential to displace the coal burner. That is why restarting the IFR is so critical and why Jim Hansen has listed it as one of the top 5 things we must do to avert a climate disaster. Without eliminating coal emission, the sum total of all of our other climate mitigation efforts will not matter...

Dr. James Hansen is listed as one of the directors of the SCGI.
Carlhole

Unread postby Carlhole » Tue 31 Aug 2010, 05:02:09

Plentiful Energy, The Integral Fast Reactor Story, and Related Matters by Charles Till

Preface

Soaring fuel prices, with the accompanying economic vulnerabilities, and environmental concerns about nuclear power plants in our own back yard has brought increased attention to energy needs in the past few months.

The Republic Magazine wishes to review in the next months just what should play major roles in filling our future energy needs, and in particular, a nuclear energy program of the recent past that appears to have been bypassed for political reasons.

Nuclear energy in some form promises abundant, safe, environmentally friendly, and economic power, and it is worthwhile examining what is known about advanced forms of nuclear power technology. When hearing the term nuclear power, many people conjure up images of Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, nuclear weapons, and vast quantities of radioactive waste lasting forever. We here at The Republic shared these concerns, but were pleased to learn that there had been advanced nuclear technology research that eliminated or at least minimized the major concerns about nuclear power generation. We questioned why this research was terminated.

The Republic Magazine contacted an expert in this field, Dr. Charles Till, to help us present this topic to you.

The Republic Magazine extends our appreciation to Dr. Till for helping us and our readers understand how nuclear power technology has evolved as well as wading through some of the myths and related issues involving nuclear power reactors.

Dr. Till was the long-time director of civilian nuclear power reactor development at Argonne National Laboratory. This program, by far the largest in the nation in the last decades of the century, was devoted entirely to research and development of nuclear reactors for electrical power generation. About two thousand engineers, scientists and supporting staff, along with a large complex of the facilities required for such work, were under his direction and guidance. For ten years, from 1984 to 1994, the work of this large team was focused exclusively on development of an Argonne brain-child, the Integral Fast Reactor. This technology promised an inherently safer reactor, a shorter-lived waste, and a limitless fuel supply.

These excerpts are only a one-page read.

I think I'm probably going to buy Tom Blees book.
Carlhole

Unread postby Carlhole » Tue 31 Aug 2010, 05:27:21

I ordered it.

I trust it will provide me with plenty of doomer-bashing fodder for PO.com generations to come. :lol:
Carlhole

Unread postby Carlhole » Tue 31 Aug 2010, 17:26:51

pstarr wrote:The U.S. Department of Energy built a prototype, but canceled the project in 1994, three years before completion.

...and Dr. James Hansen has complained at length about this act of the Clinton Administration. He says all the major technology problems were solved by the Argonne National Laboratory; relatively minor problems remained to be worked out when the project was canceled. He said that the politics surrounding nuclear energy were not favorable and a lot of the Democratic constituency was anti-nuke.

He has stated that he believes this is THE answer to the Global Warming and Energy crises and he has urged that the program be started up again because the physics and technology are understood well enough for him to recommend it.
Carlhole

Unread postby Carlhole » Thu 21 Jul 2011, 18:45:23

China's experimental fast neutron reactor has been connected to the electricity grid.

The sodium-cooled, pool-type fast reactor has been constructed with some Russian assistance at the China Institute of Atomic Energy (CIEA), near Beijing, which undertakes fundamental research on nuclear science and technology. The reactor has a thermal capacity of 65 MW and can produce 20 MW in electrical power. The CEFR was built by Russia's OKBM Afrikantov in collaboration with OKB Gidropress, NIKIET and Kurchatov Institute.

Beyond the pilot plant, China once planned a 600 MWe commercial scale version by 2020 and a 1500 MWe version in 2030 but these ambitious ideas have been overtaken by the import of ready-developed Russian designs.
Carlhole

Unread postby Pretorian » Thu 21 Jul 2011, 20:00:14

there is no prescription or a remedy.. people will have to die. Lot's of'em. Period.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby peeker01 » Thu 21 Jul 2011, 22:19:43

Pretorian wrote:there is no prescription or a remedy.. people will have to die. Lot's of'em. Period.

Jesus! Die-off, here we come.
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Return to Book/Media Reviews