Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

"No silver bullets, just silver buckshot"

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

"No silver bullets, just silver buckshot"

Unread postby Pops » Mon 13 Sep 2010, 12:27:37

As far as I'm concerned "dependence on foreign oil" and "Climate Change" are interchangeable with "Peak Oil" if it gets the government and public to actually do something to reduce dependence on FF use. Most of us who think peak oil is a problem also think there are no silver bullets, so I liked the comment from Sen. Tom Carper (D-Del.) on government plans to reduce FF use:
"There's no silver bullet to lessening our dependence on foreign oil and lowering the cost of our operations -- but there may be silver buckshot,"

Obama ordered departments to develop "sustainability" plans last year and signed a directive to reduce energy use in January. Perhaps .gov can do a little good by example for once:
Many hope to reach their goals by reducing business travel and providing incentives for employees to carpool or take public transportation to work. The Defense Department, for example, plans to get 30 percent of eligible employees to telecommute once a week.
NYT

These are exactly the kind of Doable Today things I think of as realistic mitigation for PO.

What other essentially free or quick payback actions are doable today?
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: Silver Buckshot

Unread postby efarmer » Mon 13 Sep 2010, 12:35:41

The United States Government needs to release a realistic scenario for oil supply for the next 20 years.

People can temper their personal long term dependence and also invest their retirement funds in ways that make sense to their particular response to the trends.
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Peak Oil Discussion