Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Chase Bank is offline?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Chase Bank is offline?

Unread postby hope_full » Tue 14 Sep 2010, 22:03:46

The news stories say it's a problem with their website. This is affecting their 16 million customers and has been going on for almost 24 hours now. Is it electronics - or is it something else? The bank spokesman says it's a "glitch in the software."

Maybe I've been at Peak Oil too long but this sounds a little fishy to me. A 24-hour glitch? Hmmmm. Worrisome.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 68926.html

Millions of customers who bank online with J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. lost electronic access to their accounts for more than 22 hours as the company's website suffered a severe outage Monday and Tuesday.

A spokesman for the nation's second-largest bank by assets said the service went down because of a "technical issue, not hackers or criminals." Another person familiar with the situation said the disruption was the result of a flaw in a software program tailored for J.P. Morgan.
hope_full
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Chase Bank is offline?

Unread postby IslandCrow » Wed 15 Sep 2010, 03:12:10

I cannot comment on this particular case, but having been a professional programmer (years ago) and knowing I am not perfect :roll: when a system crashes my first thought is towards a programming fault. From my experience a good old cock-up is highly likely, although systems attacks are also high on my list.

The trouble in trying to make a fool-proof system is fools are so d*** clever at finding weaknesses.
We should teach our children the 4-Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Rejoice.
IslandCrow
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Chase Bank is offline?

Unread postby careinke » Wed 15 Sep 2010, 03:32:47

It's working now. :)
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to Economics & Finance