Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Century of the Self

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

The Century of the Self

Unread postby BasilBoy » Mon 20 Sep 2010, 21:50:31

...from wikipedia
The Century of the Self is a British television documentary film that focuses its attention on Sigmund Freud's family,‭ ‬especially his daughter and nephew,‭ ‬who exerted a surprising amount of influence on the way corporations and governments throughout the‭ ‬20th century have thought about,‭ ‬and dealt with,‭ ‬people.

Has anyone seen this documentary? It's long (4 hours), but I think it's well worth watching:
http://www.freedocumentaries.org/int.php?filmID=140
http://www.freedocumentaries.org/int.php?filmID=141
http://www.freedocumentaries.org/int.php?filmID=142
http://www.freedocumentaries.org/int.php?filmID=143

NOTE: to watch, click the link and then click "watch film now". The first video that shows is a 9-minute trailer, not the documentary itself.
BasilBoy
Peat
Peat

Re: The Century of the Self

Unread postby americandream » Mon 20 Sep 2010, 23:13:25

Essentially, it's about how capitalists have conditioned us to consume, by leading us by our sex drive.

Any illusions about freedom should be dispelled after viewing this doco. There are those who never learn though so I am not expecting miracles. However, my reasoning is if I am going to be unfree (as seems to be our lot as a communal species), it might as well be in a society that does not softsoap me through my genitals.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Wed 22 Sep 2010, 17:29:10

americandream wrote:Essentially, it's about how capitalists have conditioned us to consume, by leading us by our sex drive.

Any illusions about freedom should be dispelled after viewing this doco. There are those who never learn though so I am not expecting miracles. However, my reasoning is if I am going to be unfree (as seems to be our lot as a communal species), it might as well be in a society that does not softsoap me through my genitals.

So before capitalism, life was better? Last I checked life pre-Industrial Revolution was "nasty, brutish and short".
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Wed 22 Sep 2010, 17:30:36

You aren't even close to being on topic
Pops
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Pops » Wed 22 Sep 2010, 20:32:15

Thanks for that basil, well worth watching. Pretty interesting for me since I've been involved in marketing for years - very very low on the big picture totem pole tho.

I disagree with your summary americandream, although I understand your POV. The film did talk a lot about using psychoanalytical hocus pocus in the early post war era to "program" consumers and "control" citizens but the whole subliminal messaging bit is fairy dust - though it sold a lot of ads I bet!

No, what Freud contributed to marketing was the "talking about your feelings" aspect of psychoanalysis that morphed into the focus group as a way of understanding what the consumer wanted or feared or their objection to some product. The focus group told business things about the consumer he didn't want to say about himself right out loud as in a traditional poll.

And as to politics, of course I'll say it reinforces my opinion that we get exactly the government we deserve because every president since Reagan has given up on doing what's best for the country in favor of doing what the voters want (George Ist went against them and you know the rest). Clinton/Blair made it into an art by basically delivering on the minutia of the swing voters' desires. It explains to a tee exactly why Carl Rove and his sock puppet thought the way to a thousand year reign of the 'pub party was through tax cuts and more spending - it's what the citizens want.

One line I especially liked came from Robert Reich who worked for Clinton and wasn't thrilled about the idea of governing by fulfilling tiny swing voter wishes (which Dick Morris insisted was the only way to win re-election) instead of attacking the big problems of the day:

Political hack: "What good is being elected if we don't have a mandate?"
Voter analyst: "What good is having a mandate if you aren't elected?"

The last episode is really good for recent political history, the first episodes go off into the whole mind-controlled zombie with a credit card bit which is pretty silly - not that that whole idea didn't sell lots of stuff, it did, lots of TV commercials, magazine ads, billboards, radio spots,..., ...,
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby americandream » Wed 22 Sep 2010, 23:42:39

A child eating an excess of what it likes as opposed to what it needs, health wise, is, from the perspective of the child, experientally, exquisitely delectable. No argument with that whatsoever. Terminally however, the child is a high risk candidate for a quick exit from this mortal coil. Said child either adapts or becomes yesterdays flavour. Essentially, the experience is a pleasant one and in fact, acts for the upliftment of the child were it to learn a lesson of adaptation (upward mobility, reasoning wise) from the whole episode.

Hence the objective nature of dialectic materialism which whilst critiquing capitalism, acknowledges it's essential place in humankind's progression towards full reason and beyond primitivisms.

Serial_Worrier wrote:
americandream wrote:Essentially, it's about how capitalists have conditioned us to consume, by leading us by our sex drive.

So before capitalism, life was better? Last I checked life pre-Industrial Revolution was "nasty, brutish and short".
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby paimei01 » Tue 05 Oct 2010, 05:05:12

http://www.primitivism.com/machine-heads.htm
Beneath the false self, there still lives the original identity of the person. This original self is older than, and other than, the foreign personality that has been imposed upon it. This original self or primitive ego is the person one was in childhood before the mind was ruptured by the trauma of civilization and the person one still is at the core of one's personal identity.
http://paimei01.blogspot.com/
One day there will be so many houses, that people will be bored and will go live in tents. "Why are you living in tents ? Are there not enough homes ?" "Yes there are, but we play this Economy game". Now it's "Crisis" time !Too many houses! Yes, we are insane!
paimei01
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Tue 05 Oct 2010, 18:23:48

americandream wrote:A child eating an excess of what it likes as opposed to what it needs, health wise, is, from the perspective of the child, experientally, exquisitely delectable. No argument with that whatsoever. Terminally however, the child is a high risk candidate for a quick exit from this mortal coil. Said child either adapts or becomes yesterdays flavour. Essentially, the experience is a pleasant one and in fact, acts for the upliftment of the child were it to learn a lesson of adaptation (upward mobility, reasoning wise) from the whole episode.

Hence the objective nature of dialectic materialism which whilst critiquing capitalism, acknowledges it's essential place in humankind's progression towards full reason and beyond primitivisms.

It's much easier to go on a diet & be healthy from disease NOW then cure starvation & disease of the old days. That's all I'm saying. People who eat themselves to death - well that's their problem.
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion