Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

GE's Immelt: US Energy policy "stupid", China leading

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

GE's Immelt: US Energy policy "stupid", China leading

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sun 26 Sep 2010, 19:41:58

GE's Immelt Says U.S. Policy Deadlock Holds Back Clean Energy Development (NYT)
Immelt said that global technology leadership requires four things: a big local market, technology innovation, a low-cost supply chain and supportive government policies. In the United States, the traffic light on those four areas is either yellow, for caution, or red, he said. Demand is weak. Innovation and supply chains are passable. Energy policy is halted in its tracks.

NYT didn't seem to take this as a threat to move GE to China.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: GE's Immelt: US Energy policy "stupid", China leading

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 26 Sep 2010, 20:38:23

Its not just that US energy policy is stupid....its that Obama lied about his energy policy in his 2008 campaign.

Obama's energy policy is a pack of lies

How can we develop a modern and responsible energy policy to deal with peak oil and other issues when politicans like Obama lie to us during their campaigns and then do something quite different when they are in office.

Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby IslandCrow » Mon 27 Sep 2010, 04:04:10

IF it is true that both parties are just controlled by the big corporate players, then the US Energy Policy is a reflection of the big corporations, and as GE is important in the energy field this is a ringing endorsment of their own
"Stupidity".

On the other hand it may mean that the Obama admistration is somewhat independant of the Corporate leaders as is not doing everything that Big Business wants. As I am not American I will not comment whether this is a good thing or a bad thing to have a President that is not controlled by the corporate leaders.
We should teach our children the 4-Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Rejoice.
IslandCrow
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 27 Sep 2010, 11:12:37

IslandCrow wrote:On the other hand it may mean that the Obama admistration is somewhat independant of the Corporate leaders as is not doing everything that Big Business wants.

Another possibility is that what Big Business wants may not be what is a smart policy for the US.

EDIT: Or the Auto, oil and F.I.R.E. businesses may want different policies than GE.
Last edited by Keith_McClary on Tue 28 Sep 2010, 00:33:32, edited 1 time in total.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 27 Sep 2010, 21:27:44

Plantagenet wrote:Its not just that US energy policy is stupid....its that Obama lied about his energy policy in his 2008 campaign.

And this makes Obama different than other politicians, how? They're all liars. They all promise a bunch of stuff to get elected, and then don't do it.

Pointing this out is like pointing out that lions and sharks are carnivores. Yes - they are. And why are we surprised??
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Frank » Thu 07 Oct 2010, 19:39:54

Posting a link to a right-wing info-blog doesn't prove anything...

I have 2 words for you: Carbon Tax. Make that 4 word: Revenue Neutral Carbon Tax.
Frank
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby efarmer » Thu 07 Oct 2010, 20:08:51

In my industry, GE under Jack Welch sent out public press releases and informed everyone that if they wished to remain or become a supplier to GE of materials or finished goods, they had to increase their content of Chinese sourced materials into whatever it was they intended to sell GE or consider themselves off of the vendor list. They did, in every way possible, and when they had moved in that direction it still was not enough, because in the process the Asian vendors became aware of what was needed, the criteria that it had to meet, the processes involved in rendering the goods, and then qualified to be a direct vendor instead of a source for a vendor for GE.

I am waiting for someone to tell GE that their quote better include as much Chinese content as they can possibly use for price competitiveness or else GE should disqualify themselves from the vendor list.
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 07 Oct 2010, 20:18:20

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:Its not just that US energy policy is stupid....its that Obama lied about his energy policy in his 2008 campaign.

And this makes Obama different than other politicians, how?

Obama is different from all other politicians in that only he is the president NOW, and it is specifically his lies and his lack of leadership and his failure to push smart energy policies through Congress which is stacked with huge majorities of his fellow democrats that is screwing us up NOW.

Unless you can change the PAST We can't have smart energy policies IN THE FUTURE unless we recognize Obama is a liar NOW and then work to change Obama's stupid policies and implement a smart energy policy for the USA.
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Frank » Fri 08 Oct 2010, 12:24:19

A major issue is that NO ONE in Washington is willing to say that we might have to incur some short-term pain to realize long-term gain. The Chinese are much better at this than we are.
Frank
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pops » Fri 08 Oct 2010, 12:41:12

The US voters are used to division, in fact they encourage it.

Compromise means everyone gets a little of what they want. But when everyone gets something, "I" don't get everything and that just isn't good enough.

Let's get together and get things done went out of fashion long ago, today there is only one stump speech: Here is what I'll get for you and here's what I'll deny to everyone else.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Mon 11 Oct 2010, 19:18:42

Of course GE wants big government spending on "smart grid" NOW because they gain a lot of business right away! Never mind the opportunity cost that those tax dollars take away from other private entities that innovate in other ways that are not as high-profile as GE. All that matters is to say the right falutin' words that appease the green eco-freak crowd. As if they were a majority of Americans.
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Mon 11 Oct 2010, 19:19:23

Pops wrote:The US voters are used to division, in fact they encourage it.

Compromise means everyone gets a little of what they want. But when everyone gets something, "I" don't get everything and that just isn't good enough.

Let's get together and get things done went out of fashion long ago, today there is only one stump speech: Here is what I'll get for you and here's what I'll deny to everyone else.

I'd rather have our gridlock then China's tyranny. No thank you. Of course most lefties would prefer the tyranny. "The trains would run on time".
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby megna73 » Tue 12 Oct 2010, 05:09:35

Thanks for sharing the post with us!!
megna73
Wood
Wood

Unread postby careinke » Tue 12 Oct 2010, 21:27:55

Frank wrote:Posting a link to a right-wing info-blog doesn't prove anything...

I have 2 words for you: Carbon Tax. Make that 4 word: Revenue Neutral Carbon Tax.

I'd go for a carbon tax in lieu of all other taxes (payroll, corporate, death, etc.etc.), a carbon tax is a voluntary tax. Works for me.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Wed 13 Oct 2010, 00:39:54

careinke wrote:
Frank wrote:Posting a link to a right-wing info-blog doesn't prove anything...

I'd go for a carbon tax in lieu of all other taxes (payroll, corporate, death, etc.etc.), a carbon tax is a voluntary tax. Works for me.

Instead of a carbon tax, I'd go for a general fuels tax in place of the income tax.
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to North America Discussion