Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The New Yorker: In Praise of Inflation

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

The New Yorker: In Praise of Inflation

Unread postby mattduke » Mon 27 Sep 2010, 19:28:08

a surprising number of high-profile economists, on both the left and the right, think that it’s time for the Fed to try one more extraordinary measure: injecting the economy with a healthy dose of inflation.
Odd as that may sound, it’s actually not a crackpot concept.

Get a load of this one.
http://www.newyorker.com/talk/financial ... z10m8l1BkV
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: The New Yorker: In Praise of Inflation

Unread postby dolanbaker » Mon 27 Sep 2010, 19:43:42

mattduke wrote:
a surprising number of high-profile economists, on both the left and the right, think that it’s time for the Fed to try one more extraordinary measure: injecting the economy with a healthy dose of inflation.
Odd as that may sound, it’s actually not a crackpot concept.

Get a load of this one.
http://www.newyorker.com/talk/financial ... z10m8l1BkV

Great! Eliminate the debts by wiping out savings, but isn't that what they've been trying to kick-start for the past few years.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby BasilBoy » Tue 28 Sep 2010, 00:51:05

This article hits the nail on the head. Right now, inflation could be a good thing...but it all depends on what we do with inflation. If we continue playing financial games and consuming more oil (which I think has a high probability), then we'll simply be kicking the can down the road. However, if we use it to develop a real, sustainable economy (i.e. renewable energy, efficient transportation, local farms, less imports, etc.), then maybe we can avert a total collapse...
BasilBoy
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Tue 28 Sep 2010, 01:48:30

The trouble is that inflation doesn't fix our long term problems.

The Social Security Trust fund, assuming we even want to pretend it's a trust fund, would see its value melt away. At the same time, future Social Security payments which are indexed to inflation, would grow. From the prospective of the Social Security program, we would be significantly worse off.

Future medical costs would also cost more, no amount of inflation is going to magically create more doctors. If anything, higher inflation would give doctors and medical device makers even more pricing power, leading to even higher medical costs. From the prospective of Medicare and Medicaid, we would be significantly worse off.

The value of the entire bond market would plummet in a high inflation world as yields rose and prices fell. Pension funds, insurance companies, money markets, and other major players in the financial industry could be wiped out. Someone who has their entire retirement savings in an annuity or "safe" treasury bonds would be ruined if inflation increases. So our retirees would see their living costs soar AND their savings drop at the same time. In other words, poverty among the elderly would increase. I don't see that as a good thing, do you?

For every winner in a high inflation world, I can point to 5 losers.
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby americandream » Tue 28 Sep 2010, 04:08:41

The problem is that the measures will be aimed at heating up the risk sector in America and the West generally (not that they need much encouragement with Chinese investments holding the fort), not encouraging warm fuzzies.

BasilBoy wrote:This article hits the nail on the head. Right now, inflation could be a good thing...but it all depends on what we do with inflation. If we continue playing financial games and consuming more oil (which I think has a high probability), then we'll simply be kicking the can down the road. However, if we use it to develop a real, sustainable economy (i.e. renewable energy, efficient transportation, local farms, less imports, etc.), then maybe we can avert a total collapse...
americandream
Permanently Banned

Return to Open Topic Discussion