Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Apfelwein

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Apfelwein

Unread postby Ayoob » Thu 07 Oct 2010, 23:35:53

I recently found a recipe for an old fashioned German recipe for apple wine. Tree Top apple juice works, and I just found that the Kirkland brand apple juice from Costco will work, too. The Costco stuff looks like the best deal.

Apple juice, five gallons
Dextrose, one pound
One sachet of dry white wine yeast

Combine in a carboy, shake vigorously, wait six weeks, pour and enjoy. It should ferment to about 8, 8.5% give or take a little.

The Costco apple juice is $6 for two gallons, so $15 for juice, a dollar for yeast, I have carboys available so that's free to me. The result is 20 one quart servings, so a little less than a dollar per serving.

Google "apfelwein" to find my sources, I think I'm pretty spot-on.
Ayoob
Expert
Expert

Re: Apfelwein

Unread postby Schweinshaxe » Fri 03 Dec 2010, 18:18:51

Also known as "Ebbelwoi" in Hessian.

It has to be served in a glass like this:

Otherwise it doesn't taste as it should. Tastes wonderful together with the good old pig knuckle:

The last time I had ebbelwoi, I got so drunk that I forgot my shoes at the restaurant when I went home. I was there with a big, mean, cynical German. His favourite expression is "whatever". It doesn't matter what you say or do, his answer is always just "whatever". I sometimes try to get him to react differently. When we're really drunk chasing tail or shooting pool and I'm trying to explain proton decay or the Pauli exclusion principle to him, he tells me to fuck off and orders another Jack Daniels.

We can listen to Dr. Laura here in Germany over the AFN network and I'm seriously considering calling her to find out what's wrong with him.

He's really big and nasty and a drunkard and chain smoker like me so we actually get along well but his lack of attention really pisses me off.

What do you think, dear Ayoob? Should I get him really drunk one evening and beat the living crap out of him or should I just learn to live with it?

Should I start to smoke crack?

Do you think that the metric system would have been used all over the World if the Germans had won WWII? Do you think the Nazis would have banned the use of imperial units? Food for thought.

I'll try your recipe and let you know how drunk I got.

Thank you!
Was soll das?
Schweinshaxe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby deMolay » Fri 03 Dec 2010, 18:26:56

Swineaxe, your a dink, but a funny one....
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby deMolay » Fri 03 Dec 2010, 18:30:19

Good Old Pork Hawk Recipe, Swineaxe should have included. But he is a rude pig knuckle. http://www.nibbledish.com/people/anjeli ... hweinshaxe
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion