Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

China adds to reserves... in US

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

China adds to reserves... in US

Unread postby Pops » Tue 12 Oct 2010, 13:40:26

China tried to buy Unocal but was denied, so they're buying us out a piece at a time instead, little Pennsylvania, now a little Texas...

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/cnooc- ... 2010-10-11
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: China adds to reserves... in US

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 12 Oct 2010, 16:27:54

Pops wrote:China tried to buy Unocal but was denied, so they're buying us out a piece at a time instead, little Pennsylvania, now a little Texas...

Stop worrying Pops. China is your friend. Wall Street is your friend. Now let me show you these new iPads and shiny plastic pumpkins.. ;)
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Tue 12 Oct 2010, 17:01:10

Given the choice of having the worlds fastest growing economy at complete arms length versus having them involved to the extent where they need the US economy not to fail and I think I would take the latter. Having a bit of skin in the game in the US should ensure they don't do anything radical overseas that could be detrimental to the US economy.
What's that saying....keep your friends close and your enemies closer?
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Tue 12 Oct 2010, 17:46:10

Yea, you're right doc, not to mention they seem less convinced the US is moving to nationalize the entire economy than some parties. :lol:
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby smiley » Fri 15 Oct 2010, 18:04:34

Given the choice of having the worlds fastest growing economy at complete arms length versus having them involved to the extent where they need the US economy not to fail and I think I would take the latter.

In the past 10 years the percentage of China-US exports has dropped from 50% to 25%. If that continues at this rate China will not be dependent on exports to the US anymore in a few years.
http://www.uschina.org/statistics/tradetable.html

Moreover the cost of stabilizing the US economy is rapidly increasing. China exports around $300 billion to the US yearly. But they already sinking over $150 billion annually in the treasury hole. If the budget deficit of the US will grow without a corresponding economic (consumption) growth, then you will end up in a situation where "investing" in the US no longer makes economic sense.

And then it is just a matter of reaping the technology, raw materials, food and cheap labour. And in that case the harder the economy fails the better. Remember, for the Chinese, the fall of Russia (also once a respected trade partner) was one big garage sale. Same for the Asean crisis and the south american currency crisis. So far every crisis has allowed China to come out unscaved and even better. When US credit runs out, I think you will have a hard time convincing them not to drop the US.
smiley
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Peak Oil Discussion