Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

2010 US elections

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Democrats facing biggest midterm defeat in 110 years

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 29 Sep 2010, 09:42:28

Thanks to the leadership of President Obama, Speaker Pelosi and Majority Leader Reid, the Democratic Party is facing the biggest defeat in midterm elections in the past 110 years, perhaps surpassing the modern record of a 74-seat gain set in 1922. They will also lose control of the Senate.

Republicans are now leading in 54 Democratic House districts. In 19 more, the incumbent congressman is under 50 percent and his GOP challenger is within five points. That makes 73 seats where victory is within easy grasp for the Republican Party. The only reason the list is not longer is that there are 160 Democratic House districts that were considered so strongly blue that there is no recent polling available.

There is no Democratic message. President Obama is heralding education — an issue never mentioned on the campaign trail. Secretary of State Clinton is trying to restart the peace talks in the Middle East. Attorney General Holder is re-evaluating online national-security taps. And a hundred Democrats are scrambling about on their own trying to get reelected!
http://thehill.com/opinion/columnists/dick-morris/121487-obliterating-a-generation

Dick Morris is a weasel, but he's right. The Dems DID NOT deliver change anyone can believe in, unless you're employed by Goldman Sachs or Halliburton. The Dems have NO message. Worst of all, they somehow think it's a brilliant idea to attack their own base right before the election. :roll: Joe Biden says liberals need to "stop whining" and just "buck up." And so, with independents disillusioned and liberals staying home, the Dems will lose and lose big; their only possible hope is that enough Americans loathe Republicans even more.

American voters are like a beaten red-headed stepchild, flip-flopping back and forth from one abusive parent to the other. Sigh, I guess the people are in the mood to get kicked around by Republicans for a change. I almost agree, at least Republicans can't disappoint me. :|
Last edited by Ferretlover on Tue 12 Apr 2011, 21:23:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with 2010 Election thread.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Democrats facing biggest midterm defeat in 110 years

Unread postby Ludi » Wed 29 Sep 2010, 10:05:29

What is the Republican message? Lower taxes for rich people?

Ludi

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 29 Sep 2010, 10:09:53

Ludi wrote:What is the Republican message? Lower taxes for rich people?

Ludi, that's the Republican and Democratic message. Or maybe not the Dems' "message" but what they'll do anyway; welcome to one-party globalist corporatist government folks, same stuff is gonna come out of that politburo in DC no matter which "party" is in power.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Ludi » Wed 29 Sep 2010, 10:15:37

You're probably right about the taxes. :( But what is the Republican message otherwise - "we're not Democrats"? 8O
Ludi

Unread postby mos6507 » Wed 29 Sep 2010, 10:46:13

what is the Republican message otherwise

"Global warming is a scam."
mos6507

Unread postby efarmer » Wed 29 Sep 2010, 11:44:11

The message is forming up, the Republicans are going to back huge military spending and the spiel will be that the military is going to figure out the way off of oil dependence and how to deal with climate change and it will trickle down to commercial and citizens usages.

The silver bullet is going to be the same old bullet we have bet the bank on since WWII.

Health care will be addressed by having military run or styled clinics for those who can't afford
to buy into the premium corporate health care system.

The solution for all of our problems is going to be military spending.

Get ready for the War on Peak Resources from the same old grifters.
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 29 Sep 2010, 11:49:09

On Monday Obama and Biden both had a message just for their fellow dems:

"Buck up"---Barack Obama

"Quit whining" --- Joe Biden

Now, dems, get out there and be enthusiastic about the giant 1.5 TRILLION dollar budget deficits and the 10% unemployment that Obama's policies have delivered! :P
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Wed 29 Sep 2010, 11:49:47

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article ... sts_Babies

112 GOP candidates want to force women to have rapists' babies.

So they have the rapist vote!
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby gollum » Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:11:58

I think it's not going to be good for the democrats, course that isn't an endorsement of the republicans either. Neither party looks out for the best interests of the vast majority of citizens of this country.
gollum
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:13:06

efarmer wrote:
Health care will be addressed by having military run or styled clinics for those who can't afford
to buy into the premium corporate health care system.

That seems wildly optimistic to me. There's no indication of any such thing coming from the GOP that I know of.

PrestonSturges wrote:112 GOP candidates want to force women to have rapists' babies.

People who claim the Demorats and the Repugnicans are the same don't seem to realize Demorats DON'T campaign to force women to bear rapists' babies. 8O
Ludi

Unread postby Ludi » Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:14:21

gollum wrote:Neither party looks out for the best interests of the vast majority of citizens of this country.

You seem to be claiming both parties are equally bad for citizens. Do you really think that is the case? 8O
Ludi

Unread postby Ludi » Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:19:38

Plantagenet wrote:
Now, dems, get out there and be enthusiastic about the giant 1.5 TRILLION dollar budget deficits

Republicans promise an added 4 TRILLION!

"Even as they hammer Democrats for running up record budget deficits, Senate Republicans are rolling out a plan to permanently extend an array of expiring tax breaks that would deprive the Treasury of more than $4 trillion over the next decade, nearly doubling projected deficits over that period unless dramatic spending cuts are made."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 06838.html
Ludi

Unread postby gollum » Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:23:27

Ludi wrote:
gollum wrote:Neither party looks out for the best interests of the vast majority of citizens of this country.

You seem to be claiming both parties are equally bad for citizens. Do you really think that is the case? 8O

Absolutely I do, both parties engage in resource wars, ship jobs overseas, foster illegal immigration, rescue banksters with our money, have NO coherent energy policy,engage in torture, undermine the bill of rights, spend liken drunken sailors, and generally run the country like shit. So one is for gun control and the other is for abortion, who the hell will care when we have the living standard of Bangladesh? Those of us in the bottom 80% had only 7% of the financial wealth.
gollum
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:25:48

Ludi wrote:... what is the Republican message otherwise - "we're not Democrats"?

Given Obama and the democrat's many broken promises in 2008, and especially Obama's shattered pledges to cut the deficit and create jobs, the message that a candidate is not a democrat is a big plus this year. :P

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ludi » Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:27:05

gollum wrote:
Ludi wrote:

So one is for gun control and the other is for abortion, who the hell will care when we have the living standard of Bangladesh?

How many Dems are campaigning on gun control this season?
Ludi

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:33:18

People are angry at Obama and the dems over the state of the economy.

The dems control the White House and both houses of Congress, but they've failed to fix things. Its only natural folks would vote for change.

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby gollum » Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:35:15

As usual for all the good voting does I may as well wipe my ass with the ballot, Kinda like having to choose between a shit sandwich and a pile of garbage.
gollum
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:35:42

PrestonSturges wrote:http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/37286_112_GOP_Candidates_Support_Forcing_Women_to_Bear_Rapists_Babies

112 GOP candidates want to force women to have rapists' babies.

So they have the rapist vote!

False reasoning.
This would result with rapists being forced to pay child support.

To avoid that fate they must vote Democrats.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:38:19

gollum wrote:As usual for all the good voting does I may as well wipe my ass with the ballot, Kinda like having to choose between a shit sandwich and a pile of garbage.

Yeah it is, but what do you suggest other than voting or not voting?

Personally, I'll be choosing the pile of garbage, because it is slightly less offensive than the shit sandwich.

Honestly, what benefit does not voting provide - besides (I guess) a clean conscience? "Don't blame me, I abdicated my right and responsibility as a citizen."
Ludi

Unread postby gollum » Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:42:19

Ludi wrote:
gollum wrote:As usual for all the good voting does I may as well wipe my ass with the ballot, Kinda like having to choose between a shit sandwich and a pile of garbage.

Yeah it is, but what do you suggest other than voting or not voting?

Personally, I'll be choosing the pile of garbage, because it is slightly less offensive than the shit sandwich.

Honestly, what benefit does not voting provide - besides (I guess) a clean conscience? "Don't blame me, I abdicated my right and responsibility as a citizen."

Everyone should vote third party, be that the green party for some or the constitution party for others. Voting for democrats and republicans is just stupid.
gollum
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Next

Return to North America Discussion