Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Crystal Cathedral megachurch files for bankruptcy

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Crystal Cathedral megachurch files for bankruptcy

Unread postby Ache » Mon 18 Oct 2010, 22:31:16

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101018/ap_ ... -container

Crystal Cathedral, the megachurch birthplace of the televangelist show "Hour of Power," filed for bankruptcy Monday in Southern California after struggling to emerge from debt that exceeds $43 million.

In addition to a $36 million mortgage, the Orange County-based church owes $7.5 million to several hundred vendors for services ranging from advertising to the use of live animals in Easter and Christmas services.

The church had been negotiating a repayment plan with vendors, but several filed lawsuits seeking quicker payment, which prompted a coalition formed by creditors to fall apart.

"Tough times never last, every storm comes to an end. Right now, people need to hear that message more than ever," Sheila Schuller Coleman, the Cathedral's senior pastor and daughter of the founder, told reporters outside the worship hall decked with a soaring glass spire.

"Everybody is hurting today. We are no exception," she said.

The church, founded in the mid-1950s by the Rev. Robert H. Schuller Sr., has already ordered major layoffs, cut the number of stations airing the "Hour of Power" and sold property to stay afloat.

In addition, the 10,000-member church canceled this year's "Glory of Easter" pageant, which attracts thousands of visitors and is a regional holiday staple.
The church was founded at a drive-in theater and attracted congregants with its sermons on the power of positive thinking. Its worship hall opened in 1970 and remains an architectural wonder and tourist destination.

The "Hour of Power" telecast, filmed in the cathedral's main sanctuary, at one point attracted 1.3 million viewers in 156 countries.

Church leaders said the Crystal Cathedral's Sunday services and weekly-telecast "Hour of Power" will continue while in bankruptcy.

Other megachurches have also suffered from the downturn and reduced charitable giving.
Ache
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Crystal Cathedral megachurch files for bankruptcy

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 19 Oct 2010, 00:44:58

Other megachurches have also suffered from the downturn and reduced charitable giving.

Well, maybe we'll come full circle and get back to the micro-church. You know, a few believers breaking bread together.. nothing fancy, no crystal cathedrals, no 156 nation simulcasts.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby IslandCrow » Tue 19 Oct 2010, 01:29:56

I suppose Hour of Power had a Power Cut.

Seriously, I have never been able to square the type of impression I have got from them, with the teachings of Jesus and the rest of the New Testament about wealth. I actually find the teachings of Jesus are very political, but they clashed a lot with the current status quo!

I like Sixstring's idea of the return to the house churches of the early church (ie in the time before it got political power within the Roman Empire).
We should teach our children the 4-Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Rejoice.
IslandCrow
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Lore » Tue 19 Oct 2010, 08:54:01

There was reported a lot of infighting after the Rev. Schuller Sr. retired. I guess people that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Ludi » Tue 19 Oct 2010, 09:07:31

IslandCrow wrote:I like Sixstring's idea of the return to the house churches of the early church (ie in the time before it got political power within the Roman Empire).

Amen! Hallelujah! :)

Personally, I can't see Jesus having anything nice to say about megachurches. :?
Ludi

Unread postby pup55 » Tue 19 Oct 2010, 09:56:10

Like any other business, they borrowed too much money anticipating future growth, their revenue stream dried up, and they could not service their debt.

The product, their message, might be quite good, but they have the same problems with math: the bigger you get the more difficult it is for you to grow.....
pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 19 Oct 2010, 16:14:49

IslandCrow wrote:I suppose Hour of Power had a Power Cut.

Seriously, I have never been able to square the type of impression I have got from them, with the teachings of Jesus and the rest of the New Testament about wealth. I actually find the teachings of Jesus are very political, but they clashed a lot with the current status quo!

It's a peculiarly American thing. I hope for your sake it never gets roots in Europe, because a big swath of the American evangelical "prosperity gospel" stuff bares very little resemblance to traditional Christianity.

It's really stunning.. how do you go from "the meek shall inherit the Earth" to " Jesus wants you to be rich, now buy my book"?

EDIT: by the way, I never had a good impression of pastor Schuller ever since that incident where he pushed a flight attendant around because she wrinkled his robes or some such.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Economics & Finance