Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The surprising truth about what motivates us

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Unread postby Graeme » Tue 26 Oct 2010, 23:43:02

Why do people give to charities? Volunteer? Write blogs -- for free? Why do we do the things we do? This interesting video provides a few clues. This video, animated by RSA Animate and adapted from Dan Pink's talk at the RSA, illustrates the hidden truths behind what really motivates us at home and in the workplace.

guardian
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: The surprising truth about what motivates us

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Wed 27 Oct 2010, 01:21:45

Top U.S. Incomes Grew Five-Fold in 2009, to a $519 Million Average
During the depths of the recession in 2009, as millions of Americans lost their jobs, homes and life savings, the highest-paid earners in the United States saw their average incomes increase more than five-fold from 2008, according to new data from the federal government.

The 74 people who earned more than $50 million last year -- the highest income category measured by the Social Security Administration -- saw their average incomes skyrocket from $91.8 million in 2008 to a mind-boggling $518.8 million in 2009.

See full article from DailyFinance: http://srph.it/doRYfX
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 27 Oct 2010, 02:22:41

People aren't just motivated by money. They like to create something, have control over it, and do work they enjoy. Surprisingly, they'll often do this stuff free of charge because they like it so much.

That's the idea behind crowdsourcing -- you can cut costs down to the bone by basically having people who will "work" for free (the trick is to make them think it's leisure activity). You could say that's the case with forums like this, though admittedly they're not all that profitable for the owners. But look at everyone making all the posts, all this work is done free of charge.

So I'm not sure how I feel about. There's too much of a trend already towards "free" workers. You see folks coming out of college and taking extended "internships" and just working for free when in the past an internship was something you did over summer break. And websites like elance.com.. there are folks on there who will do work for pennies, apparently just as a hobby. Well put 20 hobbyists together and there goes somebody's full time job.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby MarkJ » Thu 28 Oct 2010, 08:20:57

With so many people unemployed, boredom is incredibly high, so we've had many people willing to work for free, work unpaid overtime, work unpaid training, work peanuts, or work for perks since they're bored.

The workaholic types often don't have much of a life outside of work, so they'll show up early, work through breaks and lunches, plus work unpaid overtime since they're bored.

Many people giving away, or discounting their labor only need additional spending money since they're collecting unemployment, public assistance benefits and/or they have the support of other income streams, family and friends.

The people willing to work for free, work for peanuts, or working under-the-table are putting many people out of work and/or suppressing the wages of other workers.

My motivation is money, or more importantly what I can provide for my family and friends with the money I earn, save and invest.

I'll sit out the economy, or focus on my higher profit businesses before I'll give away, or discount my labor, products or services.
MarkJ
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Open Topic Discussion