Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hickenlooper first Peak Oil Governor?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Hickenlooper first Peak Oil Governor?

Unread postby Revi » Wed 03 Nov 2010, 09:46:34

Isn't Hickenlooper the former mayor of Denver who had that Peak Oil conference a couple of years ago?

Could it be that we have the first really peak oil aware governor of a state?
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Hickenlooper first Peak Oil Governor?

Unread postby Revi » Wed 03 Nov 2010, 09:48:35

Here's an interview he did with PostCarbon:

http://postcarboncities.net/denver-mayo ... r-peak-oil

Wow! I sure wish he was governor of my state!
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Wed 03 Nov 2010, 15:42:56

Read the fine-print. I see someone who a) downplays peak oil, and b) still believes in the cult of growth.

"I don't think that I agree completely with their... I mean four to seven years is right that that's when the peak occurs. I don't think that's when the real... I think the price of oil will jump another ten or twenty bucks a barrel. I certainly think it's not out of the realm of likelihood that we could have $100 oil in the next seven years, but at that point people drive less, and people do begin to walk more and they ride bicycles more. I don't think it's catastrophic"

"I think growth will certainly slow, we won't have as rapid growth. But that's not a terrible thing. Again, if the population is not growing so much we don't need so much growth to continue to expand the opportunity of a high quality of life to more people."
mos6507

Unread postby Ludi » Wed 03 Nov 2010, 19:54:15

mos6507 wrote: we don't need so much growth to continue to expand the opportunity of a high quality of life to more people."

That's an astonishing statement from someone in the United States, where there has been no expansion of the opportunity for a high quality of life except among the wealthy for about 30 years! 8O
Ludi

Unread postby Revi » Wed 03 Nov 2010, 20:40:33

He can't say what is really happening, but at least he knows about peak oil.

He might be able to do something about it in his state.

Colorado is pretty energy dependent, but maybe he can get some more mass transit in there, do something about insulating homes or something.

It's a lot better than having who we just got for a governor, that's for sure.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Thu 04 Nov 2010, 09:05:38

Revi wrote:He can't say what is really happening, but at least he knows about peak oil.

It's a necessary transition point along the way that I think we're likely to see. When peak oil becomes mainstream, politicians will first be "corny" peakers. At least that will be their public persona. Steve Chu, for instance, based on his statements, is already a "corny" peaker. Being a "corny" peaker doesn't really result in the policy changes that need to be done, however.

What we really need are Roscoe Bartlett types who know the data inside and out and don't sugarcoat things.
mos6507

Unread postby Revi » Thu 04 Nov 2010, 21:27:35

I think the way to get things done is to be a "corny peaker". It's like Roberto Benini in Life is Beautiful. He had to turn it into a game to keep his son alive. I think an intelligent leader can call it greening their state while they get ready for what's coming. They'll have to adopt a line like that because people don't respond to doom. They don't believe it, so they have to coax them into doing things because it's green or stylish or fun.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby DoomersUnite » Thu 04 Nov 2010, 23:10:45

mos6507 wrote:What we really need are Roscoe Bartlett types who know the data inside and out and don't sugarcoat things.

Roscoe would quote Matt in Congress. There is a difference between sugarcoating and quoting some ridiculous website as a "source". We don't need more nonsense coming out of Roscoes mouth, no mo. Roscoe needs a new prophet, hopefully someone who actually knows something about oil, natural gas, the geosciences, a little credibility, maybe the head of ASPO? But dear Lord, lets stay away from the profiteers and snake oil salesmen just in it for the cash...
DoomersUnite
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Revi » Fri 05 Nov 2010, 22:32:33

Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Frank » Sat 06 Nov 2010, 07:43:46

Revi wrote:It's a lot better than having who we just got for a governor, that's for sure.

Amen to that.
Frank
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Open Topic Discussion