Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Come-on up here on my lap...

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Come-on up here on my lap...

Unread postby Pops » Fri 05 Nov 2010, 17:48:19

...And tell me about christmas.

Is Black Friday gonna be a good thing this year?
Calculated Risk says hiring is looking good so far and consumer sentiment has roared back to the levels of the 91 and 83 recessions...

How much are you spending?
We have a little cash this year and all the bills and taxes are paid so maybe $3-400 - that's 3 kids and 6 grandkids and us.

What do you want for christmas?
See the grandkids

Will you be traveling?
No but hopefully the grandkids will...

Whatever else Christmasy you might want to add...

http://sketchysantas.failblog.org/
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: Come-on up here on my lap...

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 05 Nov 2010, 19:17:52

Don't generally participate. If you don't read your not my friend. = Amazon

Planning on a couple of hundred, probably about $1,000. Will be our 20th anniversary and the wife wants some kind of shindig.

Don't really know. Domestic harmony would be nice. Spend time at our cabin, do a little hunting, eat some squirrel.
(Given that it took me six tries before I resorted to Google to spell squirrel, some spelling skills.)

Will you be traveling?
To cabin if at all, about 5 hours drive each way.

Bah, humbug!
When going through hell, keep going! Churchill
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much. E Wiman
I know there’s no solution, so I just enjoy what’s here and I enjoy the journey G Carlin
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ritter » Fri 05 Nov 2010, 19:20:48

We'll get the kid and her cousins small presents. We'll make a donation to the food bank in lieu of getting our parents presents, as we've done the last five years or so. We probably won't get each other anything but might go in on a house present.
ritter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby The_Toecutter » Sat 06 Nov 2010, 14:53:30

No clue. I have never shopped on Black Friday...

Maybe $50 for a few very high quality Christmas cigars containing a highly cherished plant to share between me and the neighbors. I might splurge, spend a little more, and add some tequila to that too.

I would like a Zilla 1k HV DC motor controller and a 300V/100AH LiFePO4 China Aviation Lithium Battery pack, but I know that neither is going to happen as a gift. Other than that, I would be perfectly satisfied with nothing material at all.

Will you be traveling?

Maybe a few blocks by bicycle.
The unnecessary felling of a tree, perhaps the old growth of centuries, seems to me a crime little short of murder. ~Thomas Jefferson
The_Toecutter
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Sat 06 Nov 2010, 15:03:04

We don't go out on Black Friday as we find the whole consumer thing depressing.

$300 between me, my wife, and daughter

Some more totes for my food storage and some additional propane tanks

Will you be traveling?

Nope doing a small Christmas here with just us three.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cloud9 » Sat 06 Nov 2010, 15:39:07

I don,t think so. It is not going to be a big year for flat screen tvs.

Less than $1000. Most of it will be spent on the kids and the grand parents. The boss lady ie. the wife wants a mixer and a coffee maker.

I want a scope mount for my T-4 sniper. The WWII scope for this rifle is nominal. I want to put one of my better scopes on it and see what this rifle is truly capable of.

Will you be traveling?

About 80 miles to see the kids.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby argyle » Mon 08 Nov 2010, 06:04:48

[quote="Pops"]...And tell me about christmas.

Don't expect things to go a lot more downhill before end of year.. Atleast I got my promotion and pay-rise;. as long as you can keep a job, the recession isn't that noticable..
Not sure.. some presents for the kid (toys), some small items for grandparents (ussual some liquor for granddads and some kitchen equipment/cash for the grandmothers (150-200 euro's?)

Don't really need/want anything myself.. nor does the wife.. but might wanna buy myself an alladin lamp none the less.. and treat the wife on something special also..

Will you be traveling?
Nope (family all lives nearby)

I'm not really into Christmas. For it's more a religious thing. A time to take a moment and realise all the good things in life/family/... as opposed to a consumer spending thing.

We have Sinterklaas for that though (http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas)
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
argyle
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby davep » Mon 08 Nov 2010, 06:16:43

I have no idea what Black Friday is!

Not too much, maybe 500 euros on presents. But we always spend a few hundred on food such as foie gras, oysters etc. Mmmm...

Realistically, maybe a few cards. I'm firmly in the present-giving role. But I would like a nice rifle scope!

Will you be traveling?
We are currently dithering over whether to rent a place in Meribel (on the piste). If we don't go, we'll probably just end up staying at the doomstead with some family.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Shar_Lamagne » Mon 08 Nov 2010, 06:49:01

The title's a little pervy. Why didn't you just name it "all I want for Christmas" or something like that?

That's one mean looking Santa, Pops.
We are not so much as disillusioned but illusion free – Miranda Devine - journalist
Shar_Lamagne
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pops » Mon 08 Nov 2010, 08:00:32

davep wrote:Is Black Friday gonna be a good thing this year?
I have no idea what Black Friday is!

haha, sorry, the Friday after thanksgiving (which is the 4th thursday in Nov) is "officially" the first shopping day of the christmas season, and is said to be the day retailers begin to make a profit - or be "in the black".

Yeah sorry about the title, I've been in marketing too long... got you to click though, so who's the perv? :P
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby efarmer » Mon 08 Nov 2010, 10:45:43

My son is coming home from Iraq in December from his 4th and hopefully final tour. He went from Kuwait to Bagdad in the invasion, Fallujah, and other rough parts that include where he is now.
I want to be with him and his son and wife at Christmas, and to pray together in the Lakota way,
and especially to pray that we evolve beyond murdering each other for minerals and the mental strategies of old men in big buildings who dress nicely and do horrible things with other people's lives.
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AgentR » Mon 08 Nov 2010, 11:18:25

Pops wrote:Is Black Friday gonna be a good thing this year?

The news media exists to sell soap.
Thus, whether it is, or is not, you and I will be made to believe that it is "good".
At least they will try.
I will laugh.

My "presents" are usually work assets, and there's some stuff in need of replacing so could be quite a bit. Most of my family prefers cards, kid prefers lots and lots of cheap stuff, but earns (in my mind) their cheap stuff earlier by hand drawing all the cards we send!

Sleep.

Will you be traveling?
Not far.

Christmas isn't supposed to be a terribly important religious holiday, kinda an afterthought. And even if I placed a lot of importance on it; an extra check to the Church or affiliated charities and a modest journey "home" seems more suitable than elaborate presents exchanged between family members, (all hoping they didn't just spend $200 for something that'll sit in its plastic box on the back shelf until it can be quietly disposed of at a garage sale).
Yes, we are. As we are.
And so shall we remain; Until the end.
AgentR
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion