Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

"Oil price is going to US$300 a barrel, peak oil coming"

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

"Oil price is going to US$300 a barrel, peak oil coming"

Unread postby KevO » Sun 07 Nov 2010, 08:26:28

Charles Maxwell, a former energy exec who is now an analyst at Weeden & Co., says "peak oil" will drive oil prices to US$300 a barrel over the next decade.
Alternative energy won't save us, he says: It's just too small a percentage of the overall energy market to matter. And neither will natural gas, coal, and other fossil fuels, which come with their own problems.

What will save us — because we'll be forced to do it — is conservation: We'll find ways to do more with less. We'll also have to start eating root vegetables in the winter, because it will be too expensive to fly in plane-loads of vegetables from Chile.
Read more: http://www.financialpost.com/news/busin ... z14bBi7UeJ

peak oil is back in vogue it seems. Probably because we're now speedily reaching the end of the plateau.
Downhill in what, 3 months, 6 months or 2 years?
KevO
Expert
Expert

Re: "Oil is going to US$300 a barrel, peak oil coming soon"

Unread postby Xenophobe » Sun 07 Nov 2010, 10:24:26

KevO wrote:peak oil is back in vogue it seems. Probably because we're now speedily reaching the end of the plateau.
Downhill in what, 3 months, 6 months or 2 years?

It never went out of vogue. And downhill was supposed to happen after peak oil happened in 2005...and we're still on the plateau. Maybe we can stay on the plateau? A year? 5? 10? 100?
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 07 Nov 2010, 10:37:55

We are on that plateau bc of the economy - demand can't exceed supply. 100 year platea would mean the masses will be back to donky carts....
vision-master

Unread postby Xenophobe » Sun 07 Nov 2010, 10:41:37

vision-master wrote:We are on that plateau bc of the economy - demand can't exceed supply. 100 year platea would mean the masses will be back to donky carts....

Demand almost always exceeds supply. Consumption can't exceed supply. Its definitional.
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 07 Nov 2010, 10:44:02

Whatever, it's early Sunday morning. Some of us don't go to bed @ 8:00 pm everynight.
vision-master

Unread postby Xenophobe » Sun 07 Nov 2010, 10:47:13

vision-master wrote:Whatever, it's early Sunday morning. Some of us don't go to bed @ 8:00 pm everynight.

I went to bed at 1. Up at 7. Didn't forget the definition of demand while sleeping.
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 07 Nov 2010, 12:30:02

lol

I like to space travel. :)
vision-master

Unread postby Xenophobe » Sun 07 Nov 2010, 13:05:04

vision-master wrote:lol

I like to space travel. :)

But of course.
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 07 Nov 2010, 13:28:07

Our relality is changing - can you feel it?
vision-master

Unread postby Xenophobe » Sun 07 Nov 2010, 13:59:25

vision-master wrote:Our relality is changing - can you feel it?

Of course. Websters dictionary is taking a hit as we speak!
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 07 Nov 2010, 14:02:40

Oh, I see you have this thing about details.

R U tryen~ to make me feel bad, to feel less than you. Is taht it?

Tell me, I can handle it. :)
vision-master

Unread postby Xenophobe » Sun 07 Nov 2010, 14:23:04

vision-master wrote:Oh, I see you have this thing about details.

Are you kidding? One of the horrifying aspects of peak oil groupthink is the absolute and near uniform ignorance of the details. How about that oilfield in Venezuela, do we count it, considering that, well, its like OIL and all?

The answer? Of course not! Why would we want to count actual OIL when adding up all the OIL available to humankind!

Its just plain silly sometimes. $300 oil? Cool.....I'll get most of the money for my hybrid mods back and I'll have a nice down payment for the Leaf or Volt...bring on the demand destruction baby!

vision-master wrote:Tell me, I can handle it. :)

Okay. Do us all a favor, and try not to convince any more survival/gun boards about the evils of peak oil, without an entire website to back you up it just makes us all look like half baked whack jobs. Try not to do us any favors, its tough enough getting taken seriously as it is.
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 07 Nov 2010, 14:26:37

peak oil groupthink

Sorry, I've been away about two years time, just checked in to let everyone know about the expected dollar crash on the 14th.

I'm more of a truth seeker.
vision-master

Unread postby Xenophobe » Sun 07 Nov 2010, 15:28:24

vision-master wrote:I'm more of a truth seeker.

Hey, we have something in common then! :)
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 07 Nov 2010, 15:31:42

Well, 1st you need to understand hydrogen as a fuel source, it is not.
vision-master

Unread postby Xenophobe » Sun 07 Nov 2010, 15:39:30

vision-master wrote:Well, 1st you need to understand hydrogen as a fuel source, it is not.

Just as you need to understand that fossil fuels aren't a "source" either. The good news being, there is alot more hydrogen around than there is crude oil, which really matters in the long run versus all this short term, crude centric thinking.
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby davep » Sun 07 Nov 2010, 16:15:36

Xenophobe wrote:
vision-master wrote:We are on that plateau bc of the economy - demand can't exceed supply. 100 year platea would mean the masses will be back to donky carts....

Demand almost always exceeds supply. Consumption can't exceed supply. Its definitional.

Demand is currently lower than supply, hence the surge in crude oil reserves over the past couple of years.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Xenophobe » Sun 07 Nov 2010, 18:18:06

davep wrote:
Xenophobe wrote:

Demand is currently lower than supply, hence the surge in crude oil reserves over the past couple of years.

I don't think demand has anything to do with the calculation of reserves. Now price, that certainly must be in there somewhere, but not demand.
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby davep » Sun 07 Nov 2010, 18:49:46

Xenophobe wrote:
davep wrote:
Xenophobe wrote:

I don't think demand has anything to do with the calculation of reserves. Now price, that certainly must be in there somewhere, but not demand.

Huh? The fact that there is an increase in stockpiles means that demand is less than supply. It's pretty simple.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Xenophobe » Sun 07 Nov 2010, 19:21:47

davep wrote:Huh? The fact that there is an increase in stockpiles means that demand is less than supply. It's pretty simple.

I don't think it works that way. Demand for a thing, like oil, is almost always higher than actual supply. For example, economic demand means someone wants a thing, not necessarily that they can afford it. Everyone, for example, can say, "I demand a new car!" but only maybe 12 million people a year act on that demand through the mechanism of price. The 12 million people buying new cars now defines consumption. The people buying oil defines consumption the same way. Consumption of oil certainly has been flat for awhile now, and shows up in various growing stockpiles.

Reserves are calculated on their economic and geologic certainty, not on the expected demand. The fungible nature of oil gets in the way of calculating some of this, for example OPEC countries can just dial back the taps anytime they want, creating the necessary surplus capacity between consumption and supply...but the consumption/supply relationship isn't the same as the demand/supply relationship.
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Return to Open Topic Discussion