Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Survivalism for the sake of Survivalism

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Survivalism for the sake of Survivalism

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 09 Nov 2010, 19:05:12

I challenged the dominant meme in Pops thread about doom locations and I see that's going over like a lead balloon. Nevertheless, I think I've touched on an important topic, something that isn't given much weight here. I noticed that there isn't even a psychology forum. It's all about preps and analysis. I'm not against preps and analysis, but that's not all there is to life.

For instance, Ludi insists on staying in Texas despite the limitations. It's because in part, she says, she values connection to family above the simple number-crunching of what area is more "survivable" than others. Life is not an excel spreadsheet.

Along those lines, I've actually got a video I've been working on that expresses what I feel to be the downside of placing survivalism first, and all else second. Take it or leave it, but here it is.
mos6507

Re: Survivalism for the sake of Survivalism

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 09 Nov 2010, 19:16:03

That is a really great video. Thanks.
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby deMolay » Tue 09 Nov 2010, 19:38:57

Mos are you saving the last round for yourself?
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 09 Nov 2010, 19:45:20

mos6507 wrote:I noticed that there isn't even a psychology forum.

I think that's a good thing. Obsessing over doom is enough as it is.. we don't need to add obsessing over our obsessing. ;) I dunno, I just think a psychology section would invite too much discussion of things that folks are best off getting advice and / or help elsewhere.

Peak Oil is one of many bad bad things we may or may not have to deal with. For all we know, we could spend years talking about peak oil just to get blindsided by WWIII, or a real Great Depression, or hyperinflation doom, etc. And Guess what's worse than peak oil and hyperinflation doom? Heart attacks and cancer for one, and a lot of us statistically will have to deal with one or the other. So what is it about "global doom" that's so much scarier we need a special psychology section of the forum?

Which leads me to another point.. to be honest, and I include myself here, all the fear and worry that gets wrapped up in doomer topics has an element of transference going on. I think we're worrying about this stuff rather than worrying about something else. That's not to say what we talk about isn't important.. just stop to think why you're so interested in this stuff.

It's all about preps and analysis. I'm not against preps and analysis, but that's not all there is to life.

This conundrum has been mentioned before -- that we're wasting our time here. Anticipatory fear and angst are, essentially, a WASTE of time. Ok, let's say you have a bunker and ten years of preps -- there are still thousands of "SHTF" things that can go down that you have no way to avoid or plan for.

As for myself.. I talk about this stuff because I'm interested in it. And maybe like I said there's some transference of worry going on too. But anyhow why the self doubt? For whatever reason we're drawn to discuss these issues.. some folks talk about sports all the time, or the weather.

For instance, Ludi insists on staying in Texas despite the limitations. It's because in part, she says, she values connection to family above the simple number-crunching of what area is more "survivable" than others.

Ok.. honestly, I don't get this obsession over location. Maybe most folks just never thought about it, but the fact is nature has equipped us to just WALK very long distances. I read a book years ago about a guy who walked around the whole freakin' world; took him about three years I think.

So Mos, why do you seem to think there's no possible escape from Boston sans automobile? As inconceivable as it may sound, one could just walk to the next state over or even across the continent if they really had to.

Along those lines, I've actually got a video I've been working on that expresses what I feel to be the downside of placing survivalism first, and all else second. Take it or leave it, but here it is.

Did you make all that? Impressive. Not quite sure what the meaning is though.. if you're saying doom is a waste of time then how is it time well spent to make cartoons about doom being a waste of time?
Last edited by Sixstrings on Tue 09 Nov 2010, 19:51:11, edited 1 time in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Pops » Tue 09 Nov 2010, 19:50:06

You think there is too much survivalism here? Which threads are you referring too?

I see the "Beck Says Stockpile Food" thread - is that the one? :lol:

Personally I don't see much of anything posted about changing much of anything about modern life here aside from the regular posts about "fusion around the corner".

There is no survivalism being talked about here, this place is more mainstream than DudeWheresMyHummer.com

Man if you don't want to move, more power to ya, maybe you need a hobby?
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby KingM » Tue 09 Nov 2010, 20:41:09

I don't like that video very much. It insults two of my favorite things: Vermont and fruitcakes. We actually ate one of these tonight after dinner:

http://www.bienfaitspecialtycakes.com/b ... tcake.html

Do yourself a favor and buy one.
KingM
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby KingM » Tue 09 Nov 2010, 20:43:00

Come to think of it, when TSHTF, I'm going to stock my doomstead with five tons of high-quality fruitcake. They carry a lot of calories, taste delicious, and keep for up to two years if stored in a cool place.

(The terrible, radioactive fruit ones last forever, but I'd sooner join the zombie hordes.)
KingM
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ludi » Tue 09 Nov 2010, 20:46:31

I'm probably one of the only people on the planet who likes fruitcake. But nobody ever sends me one for Christmas. :)

<<<<< not a survivalist
Ludi

Unread postby KingM » Tue 09 Nov 2010, 20:50:12

Ludi wrote:I'm probably one of the only people on the planet who likes fruitcake. But nobody ever sends me one for Christmas. :)

<<<<< not a survivalist

In that case, go buy one of those bourbon fruitcakes I linked to. I've had lots of good fruitcakes, including the ones I make myself every year, and the Old Cavendish (also a VT company) are good, but damn, if that fruitcake I just ate might not have been the best ever.
KingM
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Lore » Tue 09 Nov 2010, 20:52:13

KingM wrote:I don't like that video very much. It insults two of my favorite things: Vermont and fruitcakes. We actually ate one of these tonight after dinner:

So your the guy that ate Vermont!
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 09 Nov 2010, 20:53:14

Pops wrote:You think there is too much survivalism here? Which threads are you referring too?

I see the "Beck Says Stockpile Food" thread - is that the one? :lol:

Would you really want this to be a hardcore survivalist forum? Aren't there already survivalist forums on the net? And gardening forums, for that matter?

Maybe a rule could be made that "planning for the future" forum be kept STRICTLY on topic. That way folks who don't want to read about all this other stuff can just pull up that forum and won't be bothered by posts in Open, Americas, Economics, etc.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Ludi » Tue 09 Nov 2010, 20:56:48

Thank you, KingM. I might just do that. :)
Ludi

Unread postby KingM » Tue 09 Nov 2010, 21:01:16

Ludi wrote:Thank you, KingM. I might just do that. :)

The only problem was that I bought it as an entry for my annual Fruitcakeapalooza party (I know that sounds like a joke, but it's not), but it came so quickly and...well, I had a moment of weakness. Now I need to order another. I've got two that I've made myself, one from the Trappist monks in Oregon, and one from Old Cavendish.
KingM
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Tue 09 Nov 2010, 21:03:46

You can salvage any baking disastor by putting the cake tin up on the refridgerator and pouring rum or bourbon on it every couple days for a month. People will go crazy over it, because everything goes better with hard liquor.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Tue 09 Nov 2010, 21:04:20

KingM wrote:I don't like that video very much. It insults two of my favorite things: Vermont and fruitcakes. We actually ate one of these tonight after dinner:

I'm getting one and bringing it to my brother's for Thanksgiving. Not just because I like fruitcake but I love to see the puzzled looks on my family's faces when I say it was recommended on the peak oil forum !
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pops » Tue 09 Nov 2010, 21:15:57

See what I mean, the thing upmost on the minds of these hard core survivalist peakers is fruitcake!
Transference all right!

SNORT! :lol:
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Ludi » Tue 09 Nov 2010, 21:19:24

Hey, I like that this thread has turned into a thread about fruitcake. I think it's perfect! :-D
Ludi

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 09 Nov 2010, 21:47:48

Sixstrings wrote:So Mos, why do you seem to think there's no possible escape from Boston sans automobile?

I think you're making the wrong assumptions.

Sixstrings wrote:Not quite sure what the meaning is though..

It means whatever it means to you. If it didn't allow for any ambiguity it wouldn't be worth watching.

Suffice to say, there's plenty more where that comes from in the pipeline that might help fill in the blanks. I know at one point Narz was interested in following the storyline. And no, I don't spend all my time doing this in lieu of preps. I've got many weekends of hard work building the geodesic greenhouse in my backyard to attest to my doomerism. But it's nice to find a use my bachelor's degree in film production while the lights are still on.
mos6507

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 09 Nov 2010, 22:13:27

deMolay wrote:Mos are you saving the last round for yourself?

Let's just say that, unlike a lot of doomers, I am trying to process the likelihood that we're taking a hack-proof Kobayashi Maru test.

"How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life..."

Anyway, carry on with the fruitcake topic-drift.
mos6507

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 10 Nov 2010, 00:23:00

Now I'm really confused.. what is this thread about again? First you said this:

I'm not against preps and analysis, but that's not all there is to life.

Ok, so I thought this was another why-are-we-even-doomers-theres-more-to-life thread.

Then you write this:

And no, I don't spend all my time doing this in lieu of preps. I've got many weekends of hard work building the geodesic greenhouse in my backyard to attest to my doomerism.

Maybe I just misunderstand you Mos, but it's like one minute you're criticizing doomers and then the next it's all about preps and geodesic greenhouses.

Or is it really all about fruitcake?

Anyway Mos, the video was cool (wasn't being sarcastic about that). And the greenhouse sounds great, that's a thousand times more prepping than I've done. How about we all just lay off what people on the forum do with their free time.. you don't need to defend yourself by saying you're building a greenhouse, and nobody else needs a defense for not prepping at all.

I guess I could never go to peak oil meetups or some such.. anyone telling me what to do would feel a bit too much like church.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion