Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Tipping point 11/14/2010 6:50 AM PST

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Tipping point 11/14/2010 6:50 AM PST

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 14 Nov 2010, 20:25:30

Webbot said tipping point would be @ 11/14/2010 6:50 AM PST

Obama's plane left Alaska right @ 6:50 AM PST, the exact time the tipping point wuz forecasted.

Plane departed 9:50 EST - Obama departs Anchorage, Alaska en route Andrews Air Force Base.

http://www.politico.com/politico44/ :arrow: right hand side
vision-master

Re: Tipping point 11/14/2010 6:50 AM PST

Unread postby Revi » Sun 14 Nov 2010, 20:28:30

Okay we're about 9 hours past the tipping point now. What is supposed to happen?
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 14 Nov 2010, 20:30:35

Code: Select all
~Wolfram: Tipping points are conditions in which the impetus for change becomes unstoppable. (I don't follow politics, but wasn't "change" Mr. Obama's main plank?) The term has been popularized in the sociological sense by Malcolm Gladwell's 2000 bestseller. But "tipping point" was originally a term in physics. A cylinder will fall to one of its stable orientations, either upright or to one side, depending on whether its tilt angle is less than or greater than its tipping point. (AKA, center of gravity is beyond the tipping point.)

Code: Select all
Dictionary: The point at which a series of small ineffective changes acquires enough pressure or importance to cause a larger, more significant change.

"A kind of tipping point in society, where X number of criminal types gets the edge on Y number of honest citizens."

The point at which the buildup of minor incidents reaches a level that causes someone to do something they had formerly resisted.

We should find out within 63 day's time (release langauge)!
vision-master

Unread postby Ludi » Sun 14 Nov 2010, 20:31:12

Depends on what reality you're inhabiting.
Ludi

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 14 Nov 2010, 20:35:57

Isolated hermits p'boly won't know. lol
vision-master

Unread postby Xenophobe » Sun 14 Nov 2010, 20:37:51

vision-master wrote:Webbot said tipping point would be @ 11/14/2010 6:50 AM PST

Obama's plane left Alaska right @ 6:50 AM PST, the exact time the tipping point wuz forecasted.

Plane departed 9:50 EST - Obama departs Anchorage, Alaska en route Andrews Air Force Base.

http://www.politico.com/politico44/ :arrow: right hand side

AMAZ-ZA-ZING!!!!

Didn't the webbots guy say that this would be such an awe inspiring tipping point that there wouldn't even be any question that tomorrow, around the company watering hole, people wouldn't be discussing anything else?

I'm sure this qualifies! Obama's plane....did an amazing thing....it took off! AMA-ZA-ZING! :lol: :lol:
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 14 Nov 2010, 20:43:16

Exactly when clif said the tipping point would start - 6:50 AM PST!

Shortonsense....... lol
vision-master

Unread postby Xenophobe » Sun 14 Nov 2010, 20:55:25

vision-master wrote:Exactly when clif said the tipping point would start - 6:50 AM PST!

Did we find the tipping point yet, or are you still scrambling just to scrape together something which doesn't make this webbot stuff look as silly as it was expected to be?
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby KingM » Tue 23 Nov 2010, 10:02:25

Nine days post-tipping point and the world continues on much as it has this past age. I'm not sure the dark riders aren't lurking on the edge of the Shire, but I haven't seen them yet. So far, no tipping point in evidence.
KingM
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 23 Nov 2010, 10:23:20

It always sucks when the world doesn't comply with your internal narrative.

If you remain stubborn to your internal narrative you can give yourself a mulligan again and again until you finally get it right.

Law of averages will eventually put you in alignment with a tipping point......or else you just get old and wonder what the fuck you wasted 20 or 30 years of your life over anyway :x

There is a book out there waiting to be written.... something along the lines about psychologically coping in the age of overshoot. Kind of a tragic comedy depicting the strategies of both cornucopians and doomers and how reality plays with their internal narrative like a cat with a mouse.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Xenophobe » Tue 23 Nov 2010, 10:27:13

KingM wrote:Nine days post-tipping point and the world continues on much as it has this past age. I'm not sure the dark riders aren't lurking on the edge of the Shire, but I haven't seen them yet. So far, no tipping point in evidence.

Are you kidding? There was an earthquake...somewhere...sometime....! It would have been horrifying if anyone had noticed it! I know someone who had a hangnail that day! Now THAT was horrifying!
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Revi » Tue 23 Nov 2010, 10:37:02

It might have been the tipping point, but we just haven't tipped over yet.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby KingM » Tue 23 Nov 2010, 10:38:50

Ibon wrote:Law of averages will eventually put you in alignment with a tipping point......or else you just get old and wonder what the fuck you wasted 20 or 30 years of your life over anyway :x

This is a good point. Leaving aside Peak Oil for the moment, there's a non-trivial chance that society will collapse in any given lifespan. Think of Europe in WWII, the Soviet or Chinese Revolutions, the South in the US Civil War, the Black Death, etc. People picked themselves up and recovered, sometimes over generations, but things went to absolute hell in the short to medium term. It's wise to prepare yourself for a variety of possibilities.

There's a good chance Peak Oil will look as silly as Y2K some day. But what if it doesn't?
KingM
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 23 Nov 2010, 12:18:33

Ibon wrote:There is a book out there waiting to be written.... something along the lines about psychologically coping in the age of overshoot. Kind of a tragic comedy depicting the strategies of both cornucopians and doomers and how reality plays with their internal narrative like a cat with a mouse.

That's what my videos are all about.
mos6507

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Tue 23 Nov 2010, 12:30:10

North Korea and South Korea decided to fight each other today.

I would say North and South are experiencing a "tipping point". My tipping point was a few years ago so I have a head start on everyone else :P

Whatever happened to that missile launched off the coast of Cali?
ColossalContrarian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 23 Nov 2010, 12:32:47

mos6507 wrote:That's what my videos are all about.

I can imagine you would engage in this topic from reading some of your past posts. Are there any links to any of these videos on line?
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 23 Nov 2010, 16:34:57

Ibon wrote:I can imagine you would engage in this topic from reading some of your past posts. Are there any links to any of these videos on line?

I'm making a "magnum opus" right now that veers into comic book/fantasy territory (because well, I kind of need the escapism), so all my recent clips are unlisted on Youtube in order to avoid spoilers. And because of the special effects requirements, it's taking a long time to make each segment. I want to publish it all at once, or at least without leaving any gaps in the middle.

The stuff I have up there now is over a year old and I've become much more skilled at using Xtranormal machinima technology.

The original Business as Usual is more of a simple study of Cassandra Syndrome. The "magnum opus" will be that too, but also a more full exploration of the constant push-and-pull of doomer archetypes that I've become so familiar with after hanging out on worldsends like this for years.

These clips below are all unlisted, most subject to change before their final version.

The characters in my Hall of Justice, so to speak, all represent a particular doomer archetype. And boy do they bicker.

Here is a guy who was clearly inspired by MonteQuest.

The other clip I linked to earlier is a lone survivalist who has bugged out ala Rockman.

The main character goes through all sorts of phases of grief. This one I think has the most impact, representing fatalism. It is a mashup of Fiona Apple's Across the Universe music video with HD clips from "HomeProject" with my stuff on top.

Personally I think there are enough scholarly tomes about doom. Maybe there should be more dramatizations like World Made By Hand, and Kurt Cobb's Prelude--or Avatar if you want to include that. In our culture, at least secular pop culture, we are more apt to look to media (consciously or not) for pearls of wisdom than from a textbook. Richard Heinberg, Sharon Astyk, and JM Greer have the textbooks covered. This is my humble contribution.

I don't know if this will go viral or not, but I hope it does. If it doesn't, it at least gives me a way to be creative and "activist" at the same time.
mos6507

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 23 Nov 2010, 18:42:06

mos6507 wrote:I'm making a "magnum opus" right now that veers into comic book/fantasy territory (because well, I kind of need the escapism), so all my recent clips are unlisted on Youtube in order to avoid spoilers. And because of the special effects requirements, it's taking a long time to make each segment. I want to publish it all at once, or at least without leaving any gaps in the middle.

Good stuff. Feel free to PM me if you want to screen any early versions for feedback.
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion