Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

GASLAND

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

GASLAND

Unread postby Crazy_Dad » Wed 17 Nov 2010, 10:54:12

After watching the doco "Gasland" I just want to know how is it possible for the majority to become the victims of the rich minority? And...When will we fight this?

We are facing the same issue in Queensland and Western Australia in Australia right now. Can anyone offer advice or legal arguments that have been useful so far?

Please keep the thread on this topic.
Crazy_Dad
Lignite
Lignite

Re: GASLAND

Unread postby Maddog78 » Wed 17 Nov 2010, 11:36:55

http://www.energyindepth.org/2010/06/debunking-gasland/
There is always two sides to every story.
This is a biased rebuttal put out by the gas industry but at least you should realise the Gasland dude just wants to become the next Michael Moore. He wasn't overly concerned about accuracy, he just wanted to get his name out there.
He is already on to his next project which has nothing to do with n. gas.
Bigger and better things ahead for that film maker.

Did anybody watch 60 minutes last Sunday?
Those two old farmers didn't look like they were complaining about being vaulted from the poor majority to the rich minority virtually overnight. I got a chuckle when he showed the reporter his latest $400,000+ royalty check.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby papa moose » Wed 17 Nov 2010, 22:00:31

Crazy_Dad wrote:After watching the doco "Gasland" I just want to know how is it possible for the majority to become the victims of the rich minority? And...When will we fight this?

We are facing the same issue in Queensland and Western Australia in Australia right now. Can anyone offer advice or legal arguments that have been useful so far?

CD, i'll assume from the fact that this thread is in Env. that the topic is Coal Seam Gas and not the evilness of TPTB nor possibility of future revolutions.

I haven't seen Gasland but have read several reviews and blogs, like the other reply says don't assume every statement in the movie is "gosspel truth".
That being said i am very much against the development of CSG as just too risky/dirty, even if only 1/5 of the reports are true. Especially in Australia, the world's driest continent.

CSG is really being pushed over East but I haven't heard anything about CSG in WA, the NWShelf NG is from traditional "reservoir" type sources and is likely to be WA's saving grace in the PO world (hopefully).
"That really annoying person you know, the one who's always spouting bullshit, the person who always thinks they're right?
Well, the odds are that for somebody else, you're that person.
So take the amount you think you know, reduce it by 99.999%, and then you'll have an idea of how much you actually know..."
papa moose
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Fiddlerdave » Thu 18 Nov 2010, 03:13:47

Like every other environmental disaster, the industry gives one jackpot among the 10,000 bystanders otherwise screwed out of health and home.

Kind of like the invaders paid some Native Americans passing by $24 in trinkets for Manhattan island. To bad they they never discussed their buyout with the thousand people who actually lived there.
Fiddlerdave
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Crazy_Dad » Thu 18 Nov 2010, 03:19:36

Maddog78 wrote:http://www.energyindepth.org/2010/06/debunking-gasland/
There is always two sides to every story.
This is a biased rebuttal put out by the gas industry but at least you should realise the Gasland dude just wants to become the next Michael Moore. He wasn't overly concerned about accuracy, he just wanted to get his name out there.
He is already on to his next project which has nothing to do with n. gas.
Bigger and better things ahead for that film maker.

Did anybody watch 60 minutes last Sunday?
Those two old farmers didn't look like they were complaining about being vaulted from the poor majority to the rich minority virtually overnight. I got a chuckle when he showed the reporter his latest $400,000+ royalty check.

http://kunstler.com/blog/2010/11/sixty- ... nutes.html

Seems Jim has a problem with it.
Crazy_Dad
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Crazy_Dad » Thu 18 Nov 2010, 03:49:44

pstarr wrote:
Crazy_Dad wrote:http://kunstler.com/blog/2010/11/sixty-lame-minutes.html

Seems Jim has a problem with it.

Fantastic summary of the shale gas scam. Kunstler is the BEST!

Hehe Right on. Kunstler is on my weekly blog circuit.
At least the people suffering have free heating. Just burn the water out of the tap/faucet. :badgrin:
Crazy_Dad
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Crazy_Dad » Thu 18 Nov 2010, 03:57:35

papa moose wrote:
CD, i'll assume from the fact that this thread is in Env. that the topic is Coal Seam Gas and not the evilness of TPTB nor possibility of future revolutions.

I haven't seen Gasland but have read several reviews and blogs, like the other reply says don't assume every statement in the movie is "gosspel truth".
That being said i am very much against the development of CSG as just too risky/dirty, even if only 1/5 of the reports are true. Especially in Australia, the world's driest continent.

CSG is really being pushed over East but I haven't heard anything about CSG in WA, the NWShelf NG is from traditional "reservoir" type sources and is likely to be WA's saving grace in the PO world (hopefully).

Even the reservoir stuff is bad. Dredging through the most biodiverse tropical reef and whale calving areas so the LNG ships can get to the f'ing LNG plant.
Built on land that should be left alone. I was at the protest to stop it - to no avail. Money wins every time.
Crazy_Dad
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby papa moose » Thu 18 Nov 2010, 22:17:29

Crazy_Dad wrote:Even the reservoir stuff is bad. Dredging through the most biodiverse tropical reef and whale calving areas so the LNG ships can get to the f'ing LNG plant.
Built on land that should be left alone. I was at the protest to stop it - to no avail. Money wins every time.

Not disagreeing with you.
At least any ongoing dredging will stop when world trade grinds to a halt. :mrgreen:
"That really annoying person you know, the one who's always spouting bullshit, the person who always thinks they're right?
Well, the odds are that for somebody else, you're that person.
So take the amount you think you know, reduce it by 99.999%, and then you'll have an idea of how much you actually know..."
papa moose
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Maddog78 » Fri 19 Nov 2010, 10:11:05

Coal Seam Gas is not the same as Shale Gas.

pstarr,

Don't blow a gasket, I have been very up front about who I work for and what I do for a living.
I stated as much in my introductory post and many, many times since.
I'm not hiding anything.
In fact many people on here doubted that I did work in the business but there you go.
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, especially in this place where most seem to have a built in hatred of bau, the oil business, the n. gas business, big houses, cars, suv's, capitalism, etc. etc. :lol:

Haha, half of Kunstler's rant is about the viewing audience probably mistaking natural gas for gasoline.
Too funny.
Most of his bullet point facts are not even close.
3 years of noise to prepare a pad? Whoever that company is they need to fire their contractor. :lol:
Those two old farmers didn't seem to be complaining about the noise while they were cashing their million dollar royalty checks.
and OhYeah, the industry needs 8 bucks, that's why inventory is near capacity right now.
Admittedly 4 bucks is too cheap. Give us 6-6.50 and we'd be happy.
Last edited by Maddog78 on Fri 19 Nov 2010, 11:29:07, edited 2 times in total.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Fri 19 Nov 2010, 10:34:29

btw, I'm against shale gas development in Aus. and LNG, too.
We don't want the competition. :lol:
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 29 Nov 2010, 16:57:30

Mark Ruffalo on terror advisory list
Actor Mark Ruffalo has been placed on a terror advisory list by U.S. officials after organizing screenings for a new documentary about natural gas drilling.

The "Zodiac" actor arranged showings for "GasLand" earlier this year and voiced his concerns about the practice in relation to the national water supplies.

But his efforts to raise awareness and demand a stop to natural gas drilling reportedly attracted the attention of officials from Pennsylvania's Office of Homeland Security - and he recently discovered it had landed him on a terror alert watchlist.

But Ruffalo is taking it all in his stride and has laughed off the idea he could be a threat to security.

He tells GQ magazine, "(It's) pretty f**kin' funny."
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dissident » Mon 29 Nov 2010, 18:31:10

Welcome to the USSA.

Really, Americans should wake up and stop living in the center of the democratic universe bubble. What you are supposed to or claimed to be is not what you are. The longer you snooze the harder it will be to get out of the pit.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ludi » Mon 29 Nov 2010, 20:09:06

dissident wrote:Welcome to the USSA.

Really, Americans should wake up and stop living in the center of the democratic universe bubble. What you are supposed to or claimed to be is not what you are. The longer you snooze the harder it will be to get out of the pit.

Curious to know what you suggest Americans do besides "wake up"? Just curious to know what you think folks should do.

:?:
Ludi

Unread postby americandream » Mon 29 Nov 2010, 20:17:02

Crazy_Dad wrote:After watching the doco "Gasland" I just want to know how is it possible for the majority to become the victims of the rich minority? And...When will we fight this?

Anyone making an investment decision needs to do their homework. There's just no way round this. Capitalism is red in tooth and claw.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Mon 29 Nov 2010, 21:17:01

and OhYeah, the industry needs 8 bucks, that's why inventory is near capacity right now.
Admittedly 4 bucks is too cheap. Give us 6-6.50 and we'd be happy.

I've spent sometime looking at the economics across the board. Horn River shales need 6.5 to 7 for breakeven, Marcellus breaks even under 4 and Eagleford around 3 (in the liquids window especially). Montney is around 5, not sure for the others such as Niobara, Barnett.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Xenophobe » Mon 29 Nov 2010, 21:52:50

rockdoc123 wrote:I've spent sometime looking at the economics across the board. Horn River shales need 6.5 to 7 for breakeven, Marcellus breaks even under 4 and Eagleford around 3 (in the liquids window especially). Montney is around 5, not sure for the others such as Niobara, Barnett.

How did you gauge/predict well performance? IP's, decline rates, hyperbolic/exponential switchover points, well life, etc etc? Type curves or individual well decline analysis? Simulation perhaps? Analogs? GOR's? I'm surprised your estimate of the Eagleford is that low based on liquids, certainly they aren't low cost wells, and I haven't been all that impressed with the condensate volumes coming out of those wells, wouldn't have expected any breakeven point that low. PV10's used for comparison I assume?
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby dissident » Tue 30 Nov 2010, 09:41:09

Curious to know what you suggest Americans do besides "wake up"? Just curious to know what you think folks should do.

How about not voting for the Republicrat party. Oh, I forget, this two-headed party gets to decide who's on the ballot in most places so maybe that is not possible anymore.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Book/Media Reviews