Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

When would aliens attack us?- After peak oil

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

When would aliens attack us?- After peak oil

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sun 21 Nov 2010, 00:19:53

I just went to the film Skyline tonight. Another Aliens attack Earth film in the spirt of War of the worlds, Cloverfield, and Independance day. I must say it had me wondering, why would aliens wait till we are at the peak of our military-industrial civilization to attack?

A better time would have been prior to 1850 when we had no airplanes, missles, tanks or nukes. They could also wait until AFTER we exhaust the Earth's resources and our civilization collapses under its own weight. Why come now at the peak; unless they do it for sport and enjoy a challenge?

I could just see alien ships arriving some day and saying 'Hey we planted our flag on this planet 150 million years ago, its our property- get lost'. That's as likely of a possibility as aliens arriving 150 million years from now when they would only find humans if they examined the fossil record of the planet.

(Or there might not be any hostile aliens out there to worry about)
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: When would aliens attack us?- After peak oil

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sun 21 Nov 2010, 02:13:30

Won't the aliens develop fusion reactors and solar power, etc.? Then they will live happily ever after on their own planet.

If they ran out of resources, they might need to go invading other planets.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Dreamtwister » Sun 21 Nov 2010, 14:08:49

Keith_McClary wrote:If they ran out of resources, they might need to go invading other planets.

But if they exhausted their resources, they would not be able to extend their empire.
The whole of human history is a refutation by experiment of the concept of "moral world order". - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dreamtwister
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Poordogabone » Sun 21 Nov 2010, 15:40:18

This guy makes a good point on the near 0 possibilities of an Alien invasion, contradicting stephen hawking.
Cordial Deconstruction of Stephen Hawking? (Am I So Bold?)

Posted by Karl Withakay on April 26, 2010

Would you drive to Alaska to buy gasoline? Stephen Hawking seems to think you might if your local gas station ran out.

Here’s my take on the ID4/ hostile aliens thing:

(And here is where I dare to Cordially Deconstruct the position of someone who is much, much, much smarter than I am)

http://blog.cordialdeconstruction.com/2010/04/26/cordial-deconstruction-of-stephen-hawking-am-i-so-bold/
Poordogabone
Peat
Peat

Unread postby LateGreatPlanetEarth » Sun 21 Nov 2010, 23:31:54

paraphrase form the book 'little green men, and blight lights'. creatures are not not trying to send us mssgs, not trying trying to save us, in fact not even observing us (flying for 100 thousand years to watch us do our mundane routines, that's worth it, right)?
LateGreatPlanetEarth
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 13:01:11

Rod_Cloutier wrote:I just went to the film Skyline tonight. Another Aliens attack Earth film in the spirt of War of the worlds, Cloverfield, and Independance day. I must say it had me wondering, why would aliens wait till we are at the peak of our military-industrial civilization to attack?

A better time would have been prior to 1850 when we had no airplanes, missles, tanks or nukes. They could also wait until AFTER we exhaust the Earth's resources and our civilization collapses under its own weight. Why come now at the peak; unless they do it for sport and enjoy a challenge?

I could just see alien ships arriving some day and saying 'Hey we planted our flag on this planet 150 million years ago, its our property- get lost'. That's as likely of a possibility as aliens arriving 150 million years from now when they would only find humans if they examined the fossil record of the planet.

(Or there might not be any hostile aliens out there to worry about)

There was a report I read decades ago giving physics evidence that nearly any alien species out there in the unverse will be anerobic life. It turns out that mathematically Oxygen is far more rare in our galaxy on average than it is in our local region. That mean xygen breathers outside off our small region will not be able to evolve because there is no oxygen excss able to build up atmospheres like ours. Most planets in our galaxy at least will be stuck in the anerobic condition like earth was before the cyano-bacteria evolved. Any oxygen released in other places will be taken up geologically because of the ratio of carbon to oxygen on worlds outside our region.

This was proposed as the answer to the Fermi Paradox and so far as I can tell never refuted. The reason we don’t see hundreds of radio signals out there is because our kind of life is exceedingly rare. How would anerobic life forms communicate? Their chemical energy basis is only about a tenth of that available for oxygen based life, so maybe they are talking all over the place and we jus don’t recognze their speech patterns because they are so slow compared to ours.

http://www.unz.org/Pub/AnalogSF-1993mar-00074
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 19:24:49

The so called aliens are subject to the same limitations as us, would perish traveling thousands of light years in zero G, if they had the tech to even begin such a journey. Stephen Hawking is stark raving mad.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Return to Open Topic Discussion