Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Bubble In The Wind?

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Bubble In The Wind?

Unread postby Pops » Tue 23 Nov 2010, 12:44:40

I've said several times that our current economic doldrums are a really bad thing for the deployment of alt energy. After all, with lower demand there is no incentive to build new capacity of any kind.

Combine that with elimination of .gov money (remember the jibes at Gore during last year's snowstorm? - those guys just got elected to congress) and all the hype around fracked gas, and it's seems unlikely we'll see a continuation of the boom - bubble (?) in wind power installations.
New US wind turbine installations have slowed significantly this year, compared to 2009, and the decline is having consequences. Among other fallout, Suzlon is mothballing a four-year-old wind turbine factory in Minnesota and laying off the remaining 110 workers, due to a lack of new orders. While the industry pins most of the blame for the slowdown on insufficiently aggressive federal energy policies, it suddenly occurred to me to wonder whether wind power, like housing, might have been caught up in an investment bubble that has finally popped, somewhat belatedly.

Energy Outlook
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: Bubble In The Wind?

Unread postby efarmer » Tue 23 Nov 2010, 13:34:32

I thought Bubble In The Wind was an Elton John song. Anyhow and more on topic, I think the wind power movement is still strong but not being goosed by US Federal money as much as it was due to so many other energy projects also on the menu for bucks.
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Tue 23 Nov 2010, 13:44:53

As for 2009, the charts show that installations did fall dramatically until the implementation of the Treasury stimulus grant program, which injected $1.7 B into wind projects last year and another $2.9 B this year.

Same link.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Lore » Tue 23 Nov 2010, 14:01:44

That was “Bubble in the Bathtub”, by Kansas, 1977.

Back on topic. You also have to consider that with the newly reformed government, subsides and tax incentives may not hold up in the short term. At best, I don’t see support for wind energy getting more aggressive. Until, that is, another future oil shock happens. At which point it’s like saving the last bullet for yourself.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby efarmer » Tue 23 Nov 2010, 15:14:01

WC Fields is one of my all time favorites. 1 minute in on this he replies to his daughter introducing him to Mr. Og Ogillby, that his name sounds like "Bubbles in a Bathtub". I know I am dangerously close to being off topic Pops, but this is after all about wind power, isn't it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpDD0eOq-0o
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Energy Technology