Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

First in Line at Best Buy now a "Personal Accomplishment"

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

First in Line at Best Buy now a "Personal Accomplishment"

Unread postby pup55 » Tue 23 Nov 2010, 12:57:18

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/first-person-already-camping-for-black-friday-23150588

I don't know what else to say about this:

It's now a "personal accomplishment" for what appears to be a typical American family to sit outside Best Buy in St. Petersburg for a WEEK so that you can claim to be the "first" at something.....

In the words of the soccer mom "It's better than sitting on your couch watching TV"....
pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: First in Line at Best Buy now a "Personal Accomplishment

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Tue 23 Nov 2010, 13:13:17

Gold Star! Next in line gets a silver star and everyone else gets nothing because if you aren't first you're a loser.

Pup, the reason it's a personal accomplishment is because if you have the money to sit out for a week in front of a store to be the first for Black Friday shopping then you also accomplished the following:

#1 You have enough money to shop.
#2 You have enough vacation time to camp out in front of a store for a week
#3 .......

I can't think of anymore but I was the first person into work today so I get a gold start too.
ColossalContrarian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cog » Tue 23 Nov 2010, 18:53:47

This story is depressing. Much like the stories of store stampedes which will no doubt happen again this year like last year.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby sicophiliac » Tue 23 Nov 2010, 21:27:11

Consumers first, citizens or people second. Is that the accomplishment?

On a side note anybody with basic common sense math would realize how stupid this is. Pay yourself say 20 bucks an hour and figure what it would cost you to stand out there for 8 hours, 12 hours or whatever the case is. Are you really save any money snatching that new LED tv or Ipad or anything else you want? Id much rather wait a week or two till crowds die down and spend an extra 100 bucks or something than hassle with the black Friday madness.
sicophiliac
Coal
Coal

Unread postby rangerone314 » Tue 23 Nov 2010, 21:35:32

Time to go to the range for target practice.

Have to be ready for the mindless zombies that may in the next decade be waiting outside my property for food.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Koyaanisqatsi » Wed 24 Nov 2010, 04:02:35

Another consumer to be the first in line to purchase another stupid piece of sh!t.
From the Onion News Network: http://www.theonion.com/video/sony-rele ... snt,14309/
Koyaanisqatsi
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby pup55 » Wed 24 Nov 2010, 08:21:18

This story is depressing

After thinking about it for 24 hours, I still have to wonder what is going through these peoples' minds to actually take pride in this activity.....

....what type of styrofoam life they are leading that allows them to think that this is an improvement over it.....

I would hate to think the whole country is like this.
pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Wed 24 Nov 2010, 16:04:16

pup55 wrote:
This story is depressing

After thinking about it for 24 hours, I still have to wonder what is going through these peoples' minds to actually take pride in this activity.....

....what type of styrofoam life they are leading that allows them to think that this is an improvement over it.....

I would hate to think the whole country is like this.

I would say that most people I have met are exactly like that. We wouldn't have Black Friday sales if no one was going to them.

I was never really a big time consumer that had to have the latest gadget first. But now, with my understanding of debt and peak oil, its just a sad reflection of where we are at. Our politicians, most people, and the media all push rampant consumerism as the pathway to a happy and fulfilled life. In fact, not buying is seen as somehow a suspicious activity and you are one of those people.

They can have that life until they can't. I will hunker down and be as frugal as possible and we will see who ends up on the other side of the bottleneck.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Pops » Wed 24 Nov 2010, 17:17:18

I was an "early adopter" back in the day, I was proud to be the guy to try and explain to people how my new CD player worked since they'd never heard of one - and how much it cost.

People today and I mean everyone, really, really want to buy that [whatever] for the lowest price possible.

My wife and daughter are great DIYers and very frugal but I just get a shrug when I say:
"You know buying that crap from Wally instead of [local retailer] mens a crappier living for one of our neighbors, right?"
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Livewire713 » Wed 24 Nov 2010, 17:33:42

I think it's pretty stupid myself but I dont see much difference from this as the people that camp out for a concert or the crazy stuff people will do for free tickets from a radio station. If your into electronics then I can see why people get excited about black Friday.
Livewire713
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Fiddlerdave » Wed 24 Nov 2010, 19:06:03

Given that the item you are making your great "accomplishment" of waiting could be this "pinnacle" of demonstrating your personal abilities - a "guitar" with no strings which you use to become a "hero":

Some of you might be surprised that a game as simple as Guitar Hero is on the precipice of its sixth iteration, and others still will just want to know what the latest axe is going to look like it. Well, behold! Today we're witnessing the debut of the new "shredding-friendly" design, replete with cutaway sections in the body and an aggressive, modern look. The cutaways are possible thanks to an internal redesign concentrating the electronics into the neck and fretboard, which will also allow you to swap different bodies around the controller parts. Yes, that does mean you'll be able to play without any body appendages at all, if you wanna be all contrarian about it. Another design, a GameStop exclusive, is also on show, and you can see it just after the break.
Fiddlerdave
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Oneaboveall » Wed 24 Nov 2010, 19:30:26

Fiddlerdave wrote:Given that the item you are making your great "accomplishment" of waiting could be this "pinnacle" of demonstrating your personal abilities - a "guitar" with no strings which you use to become a "hero":

I have to confess; I love Rock Band. I've played it with my nieces and nephew. I also played Guitar Hero with my friend's daughter, but I didn't like it as much.
When the banksters want something, our policymakers move with the speed of Mercury and the determination of Ares. It’s only when the rest of us need something that there is paralysis.

How free are we today with the dominance of globalist capital and militarized security apparatus?
Oneaboveall
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby cipi604 » Wed 24 Nov 2010, 19:36:23

more "sheeple crowding" news buying chinese crap
let's see how many dead people this black friday leaves behind -on stampedes-
cipi604
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pretorian » Wed 24 Nov 2010, 19:51:54

Pops wrote:My wife and daughter are great DIYers and very frugal but I just get a shrug when I say:
"You know buying that crap from Wally instead of [local retailer] mens a crappier living for one of our neighbors, right?"

so how much more you are ready to give your neighbour for the same thing? Is he gonna pay you more too?
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Niagara » Wed 24 Nov 2010, 21:34:44

cipi604 wrote:let's see how many dead people this black friday leaves behind -on stampedes-

Like this one here?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/2 ... 47021.html

BTW, about your avatar - maybe ALL is an acronym. Perhaps "Advantage Low Lead" or something. Then the grammar would be correct! :razz:
Niagara
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ludi » Wed 24 Nov 2010, 21:40:22

I just don't get the whole shopping thing...I hate shopping.... 8O

Except in used book stores, that I enjoy. Haven't been in a long time....
Ludi

Unread postby Fiddlerdave » Wed 24 Nov 2010, 22:25:03

Ludi wrote:I just don't get the whole shopping thing...I hate shopping.... 8O

Except in used book stores, that I enjoy. Haven't been in a long time....
Victoria's Secret is nice. :) I would go out on Black Friday and wait in line for their products, except they only seem to stock the container of what they advertise, the contents are always sold out! :(
Fiddlerdave
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Fri 26 Nov 2010, 11:39:37

Just awoke and it's about 8am MST. Watching the news it looks like all the news stations have reporters at various locations around the city. They keep flashing the lines and interviewing people who got to BestBuy early this mornig. The images from early today and now are quite different. The stores are slow now, already pettering out with shoppers. I don't doubt today will be slow at all for those stores. I don't think they've had the rush they expected though. No news of tampled shoppers maybe an ominus sign for retail. I won't know how busy the stores are today since I'm not participating and instead will go sledding with my nephews.
ColossalContrarian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Fri 26 Nov 2010, 11:59:19

I just heard the MSM say people are "putting more spirit into gift giving this year" meaning the more you spend the more "spirit" you have.
ColossalContrarian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Fri 26 Nov 2010, 19:57:50

Fiddlerdave wrote:Victoria's Secret is nice. :) I would go out on Black Friday and wait in line for their products, except they only seem to stock the container of what they advertise, the contents are always sold out! :(

Yes, I can see that would be disappointing. :( If I were the contents of a Victoria's Secret product, you would probably hope I had been sold out! :lol:
Ludi

Return to Open Topic Discussion