Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Buying a House

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Buying a House

Unread postby Ayoob » Thu 02 Dec 2010, 06:29:16

I'm thinking about bailing on the long commute out into the wilderness and buying a house in Suburbia, close to work. I could easily ditch my cars and go 100% human powered transportation if I buy the house. My nut living expenses would be cut by a large amount.

Any garden I grow would be small. I could switch to wood heat easily. Two blocks to groceries, two blocks to work, lots of open space around the area all owned by the state.

I don't really want to live in town... especially this town. I would live here for a couple years, pay down the mortgage and enjoy the short commute, all in anticipation of renting the place out and moving out to the sticks again in the other direction.

What do you think?
Ayoob
Expert
Expert

Re: Buying a House

Unread postby Xenophobe » Thu 02 Dec 2010, 10:39:41

Ayoob wrote:I don't really want to live in town... especially this town. I would live here for a couple years, pay down the mortgage and enjoy the short commute, all in anticipation of renting the place out and moving out to the sticks again in the other direction.

What do you think?

Good idea. Interest rates are low, housing values are down, credit worthy people are always appreciated in BAU. 100% human powered transport is an excellent idea, peak oil has caused a slight rise in fuel prices and not much more so bicycling or walking handles that issue. Keep it any length of time and you could make a few bucks off of equity in a few years. Go for it.
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby pup55 » Thu 02 Dec 2010, 15:19:47

Good idea on shortening the commute. I think rent a place first until you see whether or not you hate it. If you buy a place, it ties you down....

you might rather hit the road in a couple of years....

Landlords will bend over backwards for you right now to get you to move in....

I do not know what your marital status is, but if you find a companion, she will undoubtedly hate it.... because she was not able to pick it out.....so if that happens you will have to move anyway...
pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby radon » Thu 02 Dec 2010, 17:55:13

One consideration is how likely that you employer may move offices in the meantime and what kind of consequences it may have for you. You appear to be going to stick to your employer in the circumstances, basically.

Another - how easy it would be to rent out your house and to look after it once the mortgage has been paid up. Properties on periphery tend to be more difficult to rent out, both in terms of the desired rental income and in terms of the time and effort that it takes to find suitable tenants.

Otherwise reduction in the commuting time is absolutely awesome thing in terms of improvement of the quality of life.
radon

Return to North America Discussion