Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hundreds line up for gov heating help, several hospitalized

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Hundreds line up for gov heating help, several hospitalized

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 02 Dec 2010, 20:54:46

Lecher Eady (left) the mother of 16-month old triplets waited since midnight in the cold for hopes of getting financial assistance Thursday Dec.2, 2010 at the Mansour Center in Marietta. The single mother who has held 3 different jobs in 2010 is laid off from health care work.

A day after hundreds of people queued up outside a Marietta community center to apply for assistance with heat and power bills, hopeful applicants began lining up again around midnight, waiting in the sub-freezing temperatures for the doors to open Thursday morning.

This time, however, officials let those in line come into the Mansour Center on Roswell Street an hour early at 7:30 and get relief from temperatures that dropped to 27 degrees.

“We’re freezing,” said Lecher Eady, a Marietta mother who arrived at midnight seeking help with her bills. “Our hands are cold, our feet are cold.”

(snip)

Joining Eady near the front of the line that had grown to about 30 people by 7:30 was Isata Kamara, a single mom of a 3-year-old.

“My electric bill and my gas bill are going to get cut off because I don’t have the money right now,” said Kamara, who recently lost her job.

“I saw it on the news and decided to come up here because I really need the help,” she said.

Those news reports Wednesday night showed hundreds of people who lined up around the building throughout the day on Wednesday. Channel 2 Action News reported that ambulances were called for at least two people who had difficulty dealing with Wednesday’s cold temperatures.

In DeKalb County, Atlanta police were called to the Atlanta DeKalb Human Services Building on Warren Street Wednesday morning after "loud arguing" broke out among a large crowd gathered to apply for energy assistance, according to police dispatchers.

Lakesha Charles, who has been out of work for two years, was number 16 in the Marietta line Thursday, which, she said, is “better than number 100.”

The mother of six said she “heard it was ridiculous” on Wednesday, when only 30 people at a time were let into the assistance center.“Hopefully, we can get in and get help,” she said.
http://www.ajc.com/news/cobb/hundreds-line-up-in-763455.html

Grim. Sounds like people nearly froze to death while waiting to get let inside to join the line for heating assistance.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Hundreds line up for gov heating help, several hospitali

Unread postby Crazy_Dad » Thu 02 Dec 2010, 21:07:21

I expect to see old age pensioners suffering in our summer. They can't afford air conditioning.
Our Summer temps can kill the vulnerable also. Although I acknowledge that the cold is probably worse.

It's all coming apart for the poor and unemployed now. I spent 8 months unemployed during the 1st round of the GFC. And it was touch and go for a while to keep a roof over my head. We were able to access some charity for food so we could make rent. I NEVER want to go there again.
Crazy_Dad
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Pretorian » Fri 03 Dec 2010, 04:03:12

Sixstrings wrote:Image
Grim. Sounds like people nearly froze to death while waiting to get let inside to join the line for heating assistance.

Negroids are naturally disadvantaged in tolerating low temperatures, it is cruel to keep them here, they should be relocated to areas with a climate that suit them, like Africa, for example. Also, there is a vitamin D issue.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Fiddlerdave » Fri 03 Dec 2010, 04:25:08

Pretorian wrote:\
Negroids are naturally disadvantaged in tolerating low temperatures, it is cruel to keep them here, they should be relocated to areas with a climate that suit them, like Africa, for example. Also, there is a vitamin D issue.

White arrogant racists are naturally disadvantaged in intelligent discussions in free societies, and they should be relocated to areas that suit them and their attitude, like Iran or Saudi Arabia. Also, there is an athlete's foot-in-mouth issue.
Fiddlerdave
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Cog » Fri 03 Dec 2010, 05:02:24

The mother of six said she “heard it was ridiculous” on Wednesday, when only 30 people at a time were let into the assistance center.

I don't suppose having six kids had anything to do with her needing assistance for her heating bills. Perhaps her husband should have stood in line instead of having his wife do so.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 03 Dec 2010, 05:11:22

Cog wrote:I don't suppose having six kids had anything to do with her needing assistance for her heating bills. Perhaps her "husband" should have stood in line instead of having his wife do so.

Inescapable, generational poverty breeds dysfunction. Whereas generational wealth, stability, and privilege results in squeaky clean folks who can afford to shop at Whole Foods.

This isn't a black-white issue, there are lots of generationally poor white folks who are pretty dysfunctional too. More Republcian concentration of wealth to the top 5% will only make things worse -- fewer mega rich and a broad middle class who make living wages are the only way to avoid lines of husbandless women freezing in the snow.

It should be common sense; if you don't like dysfunctional poor folks Cog, then you should be in favor of pro working class policies.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Crazy_Dad » Fri 03 Dec 2010, 05:20:23

Sixstrings wrote:
Cog wrote:I don't suppose having six kids had anything to do with her needing assistance for her heating bills. Perhaps her "husband" should have stood in line instead of having his wife do so.

Inescapable, generational poverty breeds dysfunction. Whereas generational wealth, stability, and privilege results in squeaky clean folks who can afford to shop at Whole Foods.

This isn't a black-white issue, there are lots of generationally poor white folks who are pretty dysfunctional too. More Republcian concentration of wealth to the top 5% will only make things worse -- fewer mega rich and a broad middle class who make living wages are the only way to avoid lines of husbandless women freezing in the snow.

It should be common sense; if you don't like dysfunctional poor folks Cog, then you should be in favor of pro working class policies.

Agreed. We see it here in Australia with the "First Australians". It's such a mess, no kid growing up in dysfunction has a fair shot at what we call a normal life. Better minds than mine have tried to fix it.
Crazy_Dad
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby sirrom » Fri 03 Dec 2010, 07:49:40

“My electric bill and my gas bill are going to get cut off because I don’t have the money right now,” said Kamara, who recently lost her job.

“I saw it on the news and decided to come up here because I really need the help,” she said.

She can't afford her electric bill, but she still uses electric to watch TV. No wonder she's poor with that kind of stupidity.
what did YOU do in the eco-war?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayz1SK4KbX4
sirrom
Peat
Peat

Unread postby vision-master » Fri 03 Dec 2010, 10:25:41

This place is what's wrong with our World. :(
vision-master

Unread postby Pretorian » Fri 03 Dec 2010, 13:49:57

Fiddlerdave wrote:
Pretorian wrote:\

White arrogant racists are naturally disadvantaged in intelligent discussions in free societies, and they should be relocated to areas that suit them and their attitude, like Iran or Saudi Arabia. Also, there is an athlete's foot-in-mouth issue.

Those are your personal allegations. What I wrote is a scientific fact. Negroids tolerate cold by far worse than any other race, may be except for Negrillos/Negritos or whatever they are.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Fri 03 Dec 2010, 13:55:26

Oh, and no, you can't blame it on education and lack of governmental care. Genes, baby, genes.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Fri 03 Dec 2010, 20:31:53

Where are the private charities to care for these people? Private charities, I'm told, are more than capable of caring for poor and disadvantaged people if the guvmint would just butt out.

:?:
Ludi

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 03 Dec 2010, 20:39:37

Ludi wrote:Where are the private charities to care for these people? Private charities, I'm told, are more than capable of caring for poor and disadvantaged people if the guvmint would just butt out.

Yeah, where the heck did Bush's "thousands points of light" go? They run out of candles or something?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 03 Dec 2010, 20:55:58

Cog wrote:
The mother of six said she “heard it was ridiculous” on Wednesday, when only 30 people at a time were let into the assistance center.

I don't suppose having six kids had anything to do with her needing assistance for her heating bills. Perhaps her husband should have stood in line instead of having his wife do so.[/quote]
Sad to say but having six children is not evidence that she has a husband, but proves only that she has up to six potential sources of child support plus the government. She may have but it is just as likely that she does not.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Ludi » Fri 03 Dec 2010, 20:59:43

Sixstrings wrote:
Ludi wrote:Where are the private charities to care for these people? Private charities, I'm told, are more than capable of caring for poor and disadvantaged people if the guvmint would just butt out.

Yeah, where the heck did Bush's "thousands points of light" go? They run out of candles or something?

They only give to the "deserving poor" and in their opinion, none of the poor are deserving, just stupid and lazy.

Proof: how-will-you-be-helping-your-community-this-winter-t59982.html
Ludi

Unread postby Pretorian » Fri 03 Dec 2010, 22:19:14

What in your opinion the poor deserve? Please enlighten us, what a person that does not do nothing is entitled to-- a house, entertainment center, AC, meals, heating instead of wearing a sweater, what else? International travel, fancy surgeries and drugs, something else?
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 04 Dec 2010, 00:11:08

Pretorian wrote:What in your opinion the poor deserve? Please enlighten us, what a person that does not do nothing is entitled to-- a house, entertainment center, AC, meals, heating instead of wearing a sweater, what else? International travel, fancy surgeries and drugs, something else?

A double negative there but what the heck.
Pound on the shiftless and lazy all you want But what do you do for their children? And how can you give them a fair chance at life without giving their parents quite a bit more then you might think they deserve if you consider their situation without children present.
Would you deny a child food clothing and shelter because his parents were neerdowells?
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Fiddlerdave » Sat 04 Dec 2010, 01:50:45

Pretorian wrote:Those are your personal allegations. What I wrote is a scientific fact. Negroids tolerate cold by far worse than any other race, may be except for Negrillos/Negritos or whatever they are.
Such an odd "scientific fact"! You have to forgive me for not recognizing your point.

It was a little hard to recognize your example as a specific "scientific fact" because, without exception, even here in the mild climate of Southern California, the light skinned "Whitoids", "Crackers", or whatever they are, EVERY one of them I know without exception insists on having heat for the winter.

And despite the supposed cold tolerance of their white ancestry (according to you), EVERY one of them cried like babies when electric rates (a common heating option here in SOCal) went up. 8O Maybe it is genetic pollution by "Negroids"?
Fiddlerdave
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pretorian » Sat 04 Dec 2010, 02:45:53

vtsnowedin wrote:
Pretorian wrote:What in your opinion the poor deserve? Please enlighten us, what a person that does not do nothing is entitled to-- a house, entertainment center, AC, meals, heating instead of wearing a sweater, what else? International travel, fancy surgeries and drugs, something else?

A double negative there but what the heck.
Pound on the shiftless and lazy all you want But what do you do for their children? And how can you give them a fair chance at life without giving their parents quite a bit more then you might think they deserve if you consider their situation without children present.
Would you deny a child food clothing and shelter because his parents were neerdowells?

Most people get their fair chance in life without anyone spoon-feeding their parents (or them , for that matter). 10 Roman emperors were children of peasants from the same small Serbian village.
But anyway, there is a governmental structure that does it already. If children arent provided with shelter, food and clothing the state is taking care of those children. I only wish the state would take care of sexual apparatus of their parents as well.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Sat 04 Dec 2010, 03:06:10

Fiddlerdave wrote:
Pretorian wrote:Those are your personal allegations. What I wrote is a scientific fact. Negroids tolerate cold by far worse than any other race, may be except for Negrillos/Negritos or whatever they are.
Such an odd "scientific fact"! You have to forgive me for not recognizing your point.

It was a little hard to recognize your example as a specific "scientific fact" because, without exception, even here in the mild climate of Southern California, the light skinned "Whitoids", "Crackers", or whatever they are, EVERY one of them I know without exception insists on having heat for the winter.

And despite the supposed cold tolerance of their white ancestry (according to you), EVERY one of them cried like babies when electric rates (a common heating option here in SOCal) went up. 8O Maybe it is genetic pollution by "Negroids"?

Well people like to be comfortable in general. Especially Americans, especially Californians, especially Socalians. A bunch of wusses. Neverthless all I said is that an average Negro will sufffer more from the same T than an average White man or a woman. By the way, most white sub-races arent adapted to cold, they arent disadvantaged and vulnerable as Negroes but they dont have special adaptations as Mongoloids and Australoids do. The reason for that could be , probably, clothes--something that Australoid could never come up with with his average IQ of 62.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Next

Return to North America Discussion