Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Electronic Pickpockets - hackers can read RFID credit cards

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Electronic Pickpockets - hackers can read RFID credit cards

Unread postby Niagara » Fri 03 Dec 2010, 13:36:14

Latest security threat - Hackers armed with netbook computers and portable RFID scanners can steal your credit card number and expiry date from close proximity. They can read newer passports too.

http://www.wreg.com/videobeta/?watchId= ... 84ec348310
Last edited by Ferretlover on Sun 09 Jan 2011, 01:34:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Open-not energy-related breaking news.
Niagara
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Electronic Pickpockets - hackers can read RFID credit ca

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 19 Nov 2017, 13:34:09

Has anyone gotten one of those rfid proof wallets? Do they actually work?
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 19 Nov 2017, 15:21:48

Subjectivist wrote:Has anyone gotten one of those rfid proof wallets? Do they actually work?

I was given one a couple of years ago as a gift, I have no idea of how effective it is but it would most certainly attenuate any weak RF signals sufficiently to stop such scams unless the scammer actually pressed against my pocket.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 19 Nov 2017, 17:27:18

dolanbaker wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:Has anyone gotten one of those rfid proof wallets? Do they actually work?

I was given one a couple of years ago as a gift, I have no idea of how effective it is but it would most certainly attenuate any weak RF signals sufficiently to stop such scams unless the scammer actually pressed against my pocket.

This made me curious. I did a little checking.

First, NPR claims you can do this yourself by wrapping your wallet in a thick piece of aluminum foil. That would tend to make me believe that such products COULD work, if designed and tested properly.

Second, NPR says that so far, it's so easy to steal credit card information in other ways, that this isn't worth investing much money in, at least yet.

For example, about a year, before chipped cards became common in the US, after 30+ years of NO trouble with my credit cards, I literally had my credit card number stolen FOUR times in one year, having to have my card canceled and get a new one, fill out claim forms to state which transactions were fraudulent, etc.

Talking to bank managers, etc, they claimed the problem was things like the massive Home Depot data breaches, and nothing to do with anything I was doing, after I explained I don't go to bogus websites, and I keep my computer stuff fairly secure.

The good news is banks are likely on the hook for losses, so they actively look for fraud. In each case, the fraud department called me or deactivated my card. My understanding is that as long as you report problems promptly, you're protected.

(That said, I NEVER use debit cards. They go right to a bank account. Once the money is gone -- the bank might not give it back. As I understand it, debit cards lack some of the consumer protections of credit cards. At least with credit cards, all you have is a disputed bill while the problem is sorted out.)

FWIW, I've found that many wallets at moderate prices now claim to have RFID protection, so they're not hard to find nor expensive -- if they actually work.

https://www.npr.org/sections/alltechcon ... -need-them

A one dollar app that actually tests this on your wallet or bag might be a BRILLIANT Iphone app, now that I think about it. So I looked it up online.

Apparently this has existed for years on some phones for free, and is both a risk and a blessing, as bad guys can conveniently use it to steal numbers on peoples' phones, as well as honest consumers testing to see if they're safe.

https://globalnews.ca/news/508214/smart ... s-experts/

As with all technical things -- our lives aren't actually getting "simpler" from all this technology, IMO.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 19 Nov 2017, 17:43:37

Speaking of Security breaches has any new big data breaches occurred?
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 19 Nov 2017, 17:58:47

I did a little more reading. According to various sources, in WELL over 99% of the cases with modern credit cards with the modern chip and pin technology, there is no risk from a distance.

In 2010 this was potentially a problem, but technology has fixed that.

The modern cards require direct contact. Many banks have their own systems. With chip and pin, which most banks use, hackers won't even get what they need to steal your CC information IF they could somehow read what the chip is sending.

Apparently this industry is now living on peoples' fears, and exploiting that. (Why am I not surprised).

https://www.csoonline.com/article/31990 ... allet.html
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 19 Nov 2017, 18:08:32

Outcast, do you know if they're is an app, to disable your CC , if you believe they have been compromised and/or lost/stolen?
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 19 Nov 2017, 18:19:53

onlooker wrote:Outcast, do you know if they're is an app, to disable your CC , if you believe they have been compromised and/or lost/stolen?

That's an interesting question.

I don't know -- but thinking about it -- I doubt it -- at least with the chipped cards.

I tried to search for this, and all the hits I got were in relation to removing credit card data from some electronic payment system, such as ApplePay or a web site, etc.

My intuition is that you couldn't do this just from an app, since it would require altering the chip, or breaking the chip's encryption, or both. And they wouldn't want hackers doing that, of course.

I'm sure that when you call a bank and they agree to kill your old credit card number and mail you a new card (as happened to me several times), they alter a database entry, and nothing happens to your card. (I worked in corporate database technology in the software and implementation areas for 17 years, so in that narrow area -- I DO know what I'm talking about, generally).

The good news today is even if you lose your credit card, if you have access to any old statement, you can easily figure out where to call for credit card issues. Failing that, if you know what bank issued the CC, you can call the bank and ask for the credit card security department.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 19 Nov 2017, 18:32:01

The good news today is even if you lose your credit card, if you have access to any old statement, you can easily figure out where to call for credit card issues. Failing that, if you know what bank issued the CC, you can call the bank and ask for the credit card security department.--- Yes, we do not need to search for complicated answers. The important thing is to alert the CC companies PROMPTLY
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 19 Nov 2017, 18:38:57

onlooker wrote:The important thing is to alert the CC companies PROMPTLY

Excellent point. Last time I checked, you had zero liability if you called promptly (within 48 hours was the formal limit). The total limit of liability for a customer with a credit card for fraudulent charges used to be $50.

With all the power of the banking lobbies in recent years, I wouldn't want to count on that limit though.

Doing a search, the FTC says you could be liable for $50 even within 48 hours if there were fraudulent charges. Apparently the banks are eating that if it's not the consumer's fault.

The FTC says there is a $500 limit if you wait over 48 hours to report. Why take the chance?

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0 ... ebit-cards
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Return to Open Topic Discussion